Blogs

16 Week fitness Challenge-Join if you wish

Old 06-23-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Resident

Week 5 Day 2
I had some french fries with dinner last night. My son took me out for fathers day and that is what they had with the BBQ ribs. Weigh in today and remained steady which is what I want to do but I still have that last inch on the belly. I will not get discouraged. Off to the gym.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:34 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

No getting discouraged! We can do this!! You are maintaining, which is great, and you still have time to work on that inch that has been the thorn in your side! (see I have cliches too )

So, I am going to use your post as encouragement to get out and do my exercise today! Here I go......

Old 06-24-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Resident

Yes we can do this Itsa. I knew this would be one of the hardest weeks and I am prepared
Week 5 Day 3
This is the dreaded hump day for me. I didn't want to get up but I did and now I am ready to rumble.
After today the rest of the week should be smooth running.
Although I am not doing the booze quitting thing one day at a time this is one thing that I do do one day at a time when the going gets tedious.
With the booze quitting thing I just vowed to be a non drinker and that is what I am now. No regrets there and no regrets here although I doubt I could keep this program up permanently. I miss my desserts.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:13 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Okay, I'm back!

I was doing so well, too -- then I had a strange little cardiac event and it threw me into a funk.

BUT: Since last Thursday I've been back on my horse, and I'm working my way back up to where I want to be.

I've been eating a mountain of fruits and veggies and drinking lots of water, have had no O.S. in recent memory, and the salt shaker is exactly where i left it a month ago

On Sunday I did a 10K jog-walk in the woods (very gently); Monday I walked for an hour; Tuesday I did all-over resistance, slow and lots of reps; today, I walked around the lake for an hour.

Tomorrow I think I'd like to ride the bike - stationary - for an hour, because now (jeez I'm falling apart) I have a powerful ache in the big toe that was stress-fractured a few years ago. Don't want to tempt fate.

I'm in it for the long haul again!

Fubar, glad to see you're still rockin' and rollin'
Old 06-25-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Resident

Glad to see you back Givelove. We missed you.
Nothing wrong with taking a needed break if your body is telling you to . We never want to do ourselves more harm than good.
Week 5 Day 4
I am really looking forward to the weekend and it is only Thursday. This week is a real struggle for me for some reason. I just feel like a grumpy old man but this too shall pass as the saying goes. At least I have laundry and house cleaning to look forward to tomorrow. Grrrrrrrr.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I've read that housecleaning can actually burn a good amount of calories....so think of it as an extra little workout that also leaves you with a cleaner house!

Almost all the way back on track....I'm going camping this weekend so I'm planning the food now and hope to do some good walking up and down the hills at the lake.
Old 06-26-2009, 03:45 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Resident

Sounds like a fun weekend itsatruth. I love hiking and camping is just alright for me and only if the rooms have queen size beds and LCD TV's and the dining is done in a dining room with served up meals. Ok I like hiking but not camping but everyone likes different things.
Week 5 Day 5
Last gym day this week and I am looking forward to a more relaxing weekend. I am glad I am retired. I don't know how you all do this and work too. My wife is sticking with a daily program. She must be real tired and will be glad when this is over.
We have all come a long way and the half way point is in sight.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:26 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Sounds like a fun weekend itsatruth. I love hiking and camping is just alright for me and only if the rooms have queen size beds and LCD TV's and the dining is done in a dining room with served up meals.
Haha!! How do you here the waves crashing into the shore in a hotel room!?!?

I have plateaued, and I am too physically exhausted to figure it out! I get up at 5am, at work by 7, walk 10-15 miles in this HEAT til 1 or 2, and then I am just spent. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, maybe I will find some answers there. Really do want to get on board with you all though, keep up the good work!!
Old 06-26-2009, 08:21 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Resident

Good to see you here Lisa.
A 10-15 mile walk everyday is program enough. How long does that take?
You would probably see some good results if you added in a little weight training maybe on your days off.
Have you tried taking protein powder? It has about 23 grams of protein and only 130 calories per milkshake and it tastes great. It would probably boost your energy level. Try replacing juice, which is over 200 calories and although it is natural sugar there is still a lot of sugar in it.
Good luck and I hope you decide to join us. Even if all you do is modify your diet and continue your walking for the remaining 11 weeks you will probably see some results.
Old 06-26-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  
mergirl

Takes me between 4-6 hours, but there are like 400 squats in between:P My only "days off" are Saturday and Sunday, but when they open the new gym I will get back to strength training. The only juice I drink is 1/2 of light juice in the morning with my smoothie. After posting, I did a log of my food intake. The good news is, I got an A on calorie count which is hard to do. I eat super healthy choices. The bad news is I came in at like 2100 cals for the day haha, shucks! So I am going to look into protein waters to help keep me full, and I am going to consider going back to the "core" foods on weight watchers, although I find them much less convenient. My typical diet
Breakfast
Smoothie (fat free milk, light juice, frozen berries and fruit, fat free yogurt and banana)
egg whites scrambled with olive oil
veggies
fat free cottage cheese
Snack
Grapes
low fat string cheese
Lunch
Whole wheat bread, turkey, fat free cheese, mustard
nectarine
snack
peanuts, low fat vanilla yogurt, and /or hard boiled egg
dinner
lean protein (pork loin, ground turkey, chicken breast skinless)
whole wheat pasta, olive oil, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli
desert=)
1/2 or 1 cup low fat ice cream

Lots of water, 1 cup 50% caffeine coffee in the am, sugar free power aide when I am sweating on the job, 2 or 3 diet caffeine free sodas at night
Old 06-26-2009, 04:43 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Finally packed and ready to go............only about 4 hours behind schedule!

Got my salads ready and veggies packed for snacks; hope everyone has a great weekend.

Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
mergirl

you too!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Resident

I don.t know much about counting calories but 2100 seems like a lot.
Hope you have a great camping trip itsa. Don't feed the bears. :0
Week 5 Day 6
It is a beautiful day today for walking so I am looking forward to that part of my exciting day. Wait that is the most exciting part of my planned day. Hmmmmm I have to start getting a life soon. I am too lazy to find new things to replace my drinking time unless online penny poker counts.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:37 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  
Rockin 'n' rollin' everyday

Hi All - I like your shares and the suggestions.

I will run 4 miles in loose sand on the beach today and tomorrow. Yesteday, I had a 75 minute low impact arobics class.

I will be on vacation from 7/1 - 7/11 with limited internet access. I'll follow up.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 AM
  # 135 (permalink)  
jimbo

jeez you guys are putting me to shame ,when i shake my swine flu i must get my lazy ass on a mountain bike saddle ...ok a slight hill bike saddle to start with
Old 06-28-2009, 04:40 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Resident

Good stuff Jack. Have a great vacation.
Welcome Jim.
Week 5 Day 7
Still plugging away.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Sounds like a fun weekend itsatruth. I love hiking and camping is just alright for me and only if the rooms have queen size beds and LCD TV's and the dining is done in a dining room with served up meals. Ok I like hiking but not camping but everyone likes different things.
Funny! I agree with Gypsy - you gotta get out there to really enjoy it! The only part I really don't like is the restrooms -- dirty public restrooms and not having a hot shower available.

One of the families there did have a small LCD TV/DVD player in their trailer - they just never turned it on....at least while I was around. Me - I slept in my car which is a step above sleeping on the ground I think.

Didn't see any bears and I'm back with all my limbs intact.

I'm ready for week 6!!

Welcome Jim and smiling jack!

Good to see you Givelove!
Old 06-28-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gypsy Feet View Post
Haha!! How do you here the waves crashing into the shore in a hotel room!?!?

I have plateaued, and I am too physically exhausted to figure it out! I get up at 5am, at work by 7, walk 10-15 miles in this HEAT til 1 or 2, and then I am just spent. Oh well, tomorrow is another day, maybe I will find some answers there. Really do want to get on board with you all though, keep up the good work!!

I would be spent too ~ wow ~ and in the heat too!

I used to have a very physical job with lots of walking and lifting. I read once back then that physical activity at a job doesn't do as much good because it is something your body becomes too accustomed to. If I remember correctly, it said one way to help was to keep your heart rate elevated for a certain amount of time - higher than it is normally during the day. Would it be possible to alternate faster/normal walking during parts of the day - maybe in the mornings before it gets as hot?

Just throwing ideas out.....I totally understand the plateau thing; it happens to me a lot -- that's why I started this 16 week plan.
Old 06-29-2009, 03:53 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Resident

Good morning all
It is nice to see you all checking in.
I am a city slicker like Lisa Douglas on Green Acres if anybody remembers that show.
She used to sing this song about the country
New York is where I want to stay
I get alergic smelling hay
I just adore a penthouse view
Darling I'll love you but give me Park Avenue.

Week 5 Day 1
Still trying to lose that last inch with not much success.
I have heard green tea is good for fat burn so I am substituting green tea for coffee for the next two weeks at least.
May not do any good but at least it will give me something new to concentrate on.

And now------- off to the gym.
Old 06-29-2009, 05:19 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by itisatruth View Post
I would be spent too ~ wow ~ and in the heat too!

I used to have a very physical job with lots of walking and lifting. I read once back then that physical activity at a job doesn't do as much good because it is something your body becomes too accustomed to. If I remember correctly, it said one way to help was to keep your heart rate elevated for a certain amount of time - higher than it is normally during the day. Would it be possible to alternate faster/normal walking during parts of the day - maybe in the mornings before it gets as hot?

Just throwing ideas out.....I totally understand the plateau thing; it happens to me a lot -- that's why I started this 16 week plan.
Well I stop alot (think mail man) but I will try picking it up this morning, at least maybe I can beat some of this heat! I switched out my sandwich for a salad this week (kind of a pain in the ass), and bought some protein water add ins to help fill me on the way home so I dont graze.

I also got some ff, sugar free pudding to make instead of ice cream, but that makes me sad hahha