Blogs

16 Week fitness Challenge-Join if you wish

Old 06-03-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Resident

Good morning fitness challengers.
Itsatruth-I am glad to have you and everyone else here so we can encourage each other. I am sure we will all be thankful at the end of the term. Results come slowly but surely.
No cold showers for me Poppy. I will live with my warm skin.
Week2 Day3
It is hump day and leg day at the gym. I don't know about women but most men don't like leg day.
I haven't got into the raw vegetables yet as I had some cherries I had to use up for snacks first but today is the day. I am not a big veggie fan but I will give the carbs from veggies a go.
Off to the gym I go.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fubarcdn View Post
Good morning fitness challengers.
Itsatruth-I am glad to have you and everyone else here so we can encourage each other. I am sure we will all be thankful at the end of the term. Results come slowly but surely.
No cold showers for me Poppy. I will live with my warm skin.
Week2 Day3
It is hump day and leg day at the gym. I don't know about women but most men don't like leg day.
I haven't got into the raw vegetables yet as I had some cherries I had to use up for snacks first but today is the day. I am not a big veggie fan but I will give the carbs from veggies a go.
Off to the gym I go.
My cold showers will only last these 16 weeks I'm sure, good thing it's really warming up, I don't think I could do it in winter. But if I lose weight my skin is going to sag terribly, and cold showers might help.

I'm not sure I know what hump day and leg day is like. But I do know if anything lasts too long I don't like it. When I start feeling fire in my muscles I'm ready to quit, but fortunately I manage to do everything the length of time I should, just not always with a smile.

Raw vegetables as a substitute for trail mix or fruits would probably leave me feeling unfulfilled, and I AM a big veggie fan, hope it works for you. I have noticed though that the better I eat the more I want to eat better.

I'm off to prepare for volleyball, have a great day everyone !
Old 06-03-2009, 08:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Resident

Hi Poppy.
Hump day is actually a term taken from the working world, which has nothing to do with me, and it is Wednesday; the middle of the week and it goes like this. After Wednesday is gone you are over the hump and can sail through the other two days to the weekend.
A related question.---How did I get over the hill without ever being on top?

Leg day is exactly what it sounds like. It is the gym day to work on yourr leg muscles.
A lot of people who work out work one muscle group each day to give the muscles a chance to repair themselves so they can become stronger and/or bigger.

Happy for you that those cold showers aren't a permanent part of your life. I only like cold showers if the water is quite hot.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Still on track - and feeling pretty good. I don't like pain either but I do like the feeling of my muscles having been worked to let me know I'm actually accomplishing something. It's that bit of soreness/tightness that tells me my body is responding even though the scale might not show it yet.

I won't be back until the weekend so hope you all have a good rest of the week.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
mergirl

just so you know, I am still on board! I have been to tired returning to work/recovering from vacation to come up with anything, but I took a day off tomorrow (hahaha, after just getting back from a week off) and I hope to be able to put some effort into it then.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Well starting to feel a lot better so going to get some of my part-time business done this afternoon. Then over the weekend going to check the local gym out and get started on Monday. When I get myself a bit fitter I am going to take up Thai boxing (I think).
Old 06-04-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Resident

It is encouraging to see so many of you posting and sticking to it or getting started.
Week 2 Day 4
Well this is one of the reasons I started this thread. I ate about 500 calories of undesirable stuff yesterday and have to own up to it. In the past this may have been an excuse to miss a day but I am owning up and moving on and making amends today.
I will walk an extra hour today to burn those extra calories and get right back on it. I knew week 2 would be one of the hardest.
Off to the gym. Have a good one everyone and if you slip a bit don't use it as an excuse to quit.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
mergirl

o.k., so my goals for the fitness challenge are to lose 10-15 pounds in the 16 weeks we have left, but I am stalled so any suggestions are welcome. Where I am at:

My job has me walking 5-7 hours a day non stop (about 10-15 miles a day on average, 5 days a week). When I get home I am pretty sore and tired. I do at least 20 sit ups and 20 push ups to earn my bowl of ice cream a night.
I eat like pretty good (see my new thread "food logs". ) My "weaknesses" in diet include
1) I cook for a man who demands some form of meat with dinner. I use almost all lean chicken, pork and fish, but I can't really cut it out right now.
2) If I make something tasty, I have to eat some of it (see 1)
3) I make breakfast and lunch at 5am, and I eat lunch in my car, so it has to be something portable and easy to fix
4) I have to have ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!
5) I am hungry. I can't imagine cutting anything out, just substituting.

I lost 50ish pounds pretty easy a year ago on WW. I am still dropping now, but at the rate of a pound every month or two, which makes me a sad panda. My legs are in fantastic shape, my arms and torso not so much=)

My goals right now are pretty much to continue doing what I am doing, and start logging everyday to see where I am sabotaging myself.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Hello all. I have decided to get back in the gym from Monday. Feel good after 4 days off the beer so I can see the gym making me feel even better. Anyone got anygood workouts for a beginner? I will be able to make it to the gym 3 times a weeks.

Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Resident

Good for you spen and it is good to see you are still off the beer. I found the first week of that to be the hardest.
I think you might try 30 minutes of cardio each day and some weights each day also.
I would do chest and back one day, legs the next, and arms on the third day.
Although I have been going to the gym for 20 years I don't even know the names of all the movements.
You may want to post a new thread with your question as to what is a good routine or post it under the our goals thread where the more dedicated and serious gym enthusiasts are more likely to see it or you could try PM'ing one of the more experienced enthusiasts from that thread.
Good luck and keep us posted of your program and progress.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:13 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

Wow what a gift you all are giving yourself it's been proven that regular exercise has a big part in recovery. I know for myself that it has a very special place and I get paid to do it.

Keep going one day at a time
Old 06-05-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Resident

Thanks for the encouragement mx and thanks for dropping by Phal. I see your doing well with your goals
Week 2 Day 5.
Last gym day of the week which is one cycle for me. Looking forward to the extra free time this weekend.
Did the extra walking to burn those extra calories so I am back on track and pushing on.
Still haven't warmed up to the raw vegetables.
Raisons and assorted nuts versus brocolli and cauliflower. Tough choice???? So far NOT.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:11 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Resident

Week 2 Day 6
It is 5AM and I can't sleep so I am having my breakfast to keep my meals spaced and then going back ang trying to get a couple more hours zzzzz's.
I will be substituting fish, hopefully pickeral, for beef for dinner tonight.Having a strong finish to the week and looking forward to increasing the weight I lift next week.
Still have that last inch of fat but still feeling confident that at the end of the challenge it will be gone.
Keep at it participants as it will be worth it.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:09 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Well, it hasn't been the best week (not the worst either, but...) I can't seem to shake this respiratory infection I've got, and it makes it just miserable to exercise at anything more than 50-60% of my max heart rate. I've been eating well and drinking a lot of water, but I've been unable to manage anything more than an hour's walk a day. Not sleeping at night from all the hacking and nose-blowing LOL I'm struggling, but I know this can't last forever. I have hope for next week!!
Old 06-07-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Resident

I think you are doing great Givelove.
Getting out and walking every day when you are ill is a determined effort. Hope your condition improves this week.
Week 2 Day7
I substituted baked sweet potatoes for regular potatoes yesterday along with the fish so I am thinking that is a healthier choice. Plenty of fiber. I got out for the walk and am actually looking forward to getting back to the gym tomorrow. It is supposed to rain all this week so the walking part will be tough but I will figure something out. There is a huge tunnel network where I live so I may have to take the subway and do the underground.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

...back on that horse...

Fubar, great idea walking the tunnels. Wish we had that option here when the snow flies

Back on the program today, went to the mountain park and hiked/ran my hour. Walked the uphills, slow-jogged the flats and the downs. I got a good night's sleep last night for the first time in a week, and feel so much more optimistic! Thanks so much for the encouragement. Off to eat my lunch salad
Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Good for you GiveLove!

Good week for me, stuck to everything except had a little extra for dinner last night - chicken was getting boring. I have seen results on the scale so that really helps with motivation.

I tried updating drivers on my computer last week and messed something up so I can't get online with my own computer now. I'm on my work laptop doing work tonight but don't like to use it for personal stuff so if I'm not posting, that's why....But I will keep up with my plan.

Week 3 here we come!
Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  
Resident

good day Give, Truth and Poppy.
It is great that we are all doing this together. I wanted to go back to sleep this morning then I thought of how we were in this together and got my team player attitude on and here I am. If I was on my own on this I may have just gone back to bed and skipped the day and after that who knows.
Thanks for the support.

Week 3 Day 1

Adding a little weight to each exercise today. This usually motivates me but not so much this morning. I am sure that will change when I get to the gym.
Have a good exercise day.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

I'm starting this new week off on a positive note, I'm down two more pounds and I'm not sure how, I guess because I'm not eating sweets, and I didn't get more than a couple of hours of sleep Saturday night. My tummy is flat this morning too, BIG BIG surprise, and a girlfriend in my stretching class told me I looked thinner. So with all that to motivate me maybe this week I'll be inspired to do something extra,hmmm, just maybe
Keep at it everyone, only 14 more weeks and Fubar will have 6 pack abs, and he'll post us a photo !
Old 06-09-2009, 04:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Resident

It is good you are dropping pounds poppy. Try adding a little weight training to your routine. It will tighten up the skin.
Week 3 Day 2
Weigh in day and I have lost the last 3 pounds I want to lose but that last inch of belly fat is still there.
Now I have to work on maintaining this weight but converting the remaining fat to muscle. This is the part I have never done successfully. I definitely do not want to lose any more weight. Starting next week I will experiment with taking additional whey protein until I find the right balance.
I went up weight yesterday on my chest exercises and it felt good. I am back to being enthusiastic. Whatever it takes to keep motivated.
Have a good day everyone.