Venting Again - Further Down the Rabbit Hole

Old 03-19-2023, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My son is 40. The disease seems to be progressing rapidly. Or maybe I am just more aware. Most recent, spent 90 days in county, released last Friday to half way house, and back to work. Worked 4 days, back out again. Sending Random text messages, He was erratic and angry. I text his PO to tell her i was concerned for his mental well being with no response. He got picked up late Sunday night, on trespassing , and intoxication charges. SO he is back in jail for another 30 days, Has no memory of the past week. His face is all beat up. They have him on medical lock down. Each day he improves. We have found his wallet, and car. I picked up his belongings from the half way house.. I am just exhausted. Sometimes he has clean time, other times he disappears for days on end. .His Clean time gives me false hope. I will be retiring soon and i really thought this addiction would be behind us by now. I pray each day God will be by his side. Some days I am not sure what i am praying for.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Humbled
They just go round in a cycle,at least my son does.
He's 29 and it the same story with him all the time. Does prison time, gets released, homeless accomodatio, starts using as soon as he's out.
i refused to collect his belongings last time.
I have seen my son once in 3 years, and that was in prison. He's too unpredictable when using, and I have told him I won't be around him. I have no interest to see him high.
My life is pretty good, despite my son's addiction, and I intend to live it the best I can.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 03-19-2023, 03:00 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi Bute and humbled - I just keep saying how sorry I am that we are all experiencing this with our boys. It's so painful and so out of our control.

I talked with my priest today and he reminded me once again, I've done all I can. Lean into my faith in Christ as it is He that never leaves us. He also reminded me of the thief that was crucified on a cross beside Jesus. At the last moment of his life, he repented and Jesus said to him, "Today, you will be with me in paradise." There's always hope that these boys (I know, they're men!) will find recovery and peace with God. As the saying goes, "As long as there is life, there is hope."

I'm actually glad that he is 7 hrs. away. There is no way that I can get to him or really do anything. I have dogs, chickens and a bunny (plus a hubby) that need daily care.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:40 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi Bellablue,
Yes, having some distance between us and them, is helpful.
my son is only an hour away, but that is fine. Far enough and a couple of bus changes to get here. Not that he ever has money for the fair..
If your faith brings you comfort, then use it. We have to use all or coping strtegies to help us stay on our path.
Much Love
Bute xxx
Old 03-29-2023, 04:29 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi there, Bella and Bute and Humbled,
I would just love it if one day, I would come over here and find that someone's child has turned it around. It's what I pray for my son and for all of our children. Such a terrible disease! So many broken hearts.

I have not been in touch with my son for over 4 years now...I have actually telephoned (left a message) once recently, and on Monday, which would have been my dad (his grandfather)'s 100th birthday, I texted him and my daughter a photo with a short message. He ignores all, I may even be blocked, but I do it for myself mostly. I know it won't mean anything to him now, but it is my hope that when he decides to turn things around, he may remember a message or a word of love and it will lead him to reach out. Until that day, I know I am better off to not have him in my life.

My son is 31, he has a good job and his own home. Sounds fine...but he has almost no personal relationships anymore. He is mostly alone, but he has made it that way. It's so sad but strangely enough, after all this time, I sometimes idealize him in my mind in a way that I suppose we can do when someone dies. I remember more of the goodness of him when he was young. The nasty drunk is someone I haven't seen in years, so although I remember, it's not as clear to me now.

I continue to pray, and I hope, and I actually think sometimes...maybe today will be the day that he will have had enough.