Son out of prison

Old 04-16-2019, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Son out of prison

My addict son spent 5 years in prison. I sent him money the whole time. He said he got clean while inside. I honestly don't know for sure if thats true or not. His DOC is/was heroin, meth, benzos, marijuana. And adderall. He has been out almost a year, marginally functioning. He sees a psychiatrist who prescribes benzos, adderalls, and Celexa. Here is my dilemma. Past 4 weeks he has started having psychotic symptoms. Hallucinations, delusions that he seems to believe are real. He never had this before, ever. He is 33 yo, refuses to let me contact his dr, refuses to contact him himself bc he thinks its all real and is angry bc I dont believe him. This is almost worse than his drug use bc I feel like I am going insane and don't know what to do. Anyone ever see anything lime this?
Old 04-18-2019, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Benzos are a narcotic.
Can be a dangerous addictive drug.
My first ex-husband did time in Federal prison for drug smuggling and trafficking.
I too sent him money.
He found a new big-time drug dealer connection in prison,
which he capitalized on when he got out.

Definitely some red flags in your situation.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Kuan…..I suggest that you call his doctor...no matter what he thinks about it. If you don't know the doctor's name...see if you can find it on a prescription bottle or on some of his papers.
If he is hallucinating, this is an emergency situation, in my opinion.
It is not illegal for you to give the doctor information, even if there are not signed forms. I did this all of the time, when my mother would not tell her doctor the truth....(and the doctor didn't tell my mother that I had called)…

Another option is to call emergency services....if he is a danger to himself or to you..they can take him in for a period of time, during which he will have to be seen by two psychiatrists....
Meanwhile, you can call the social worker who will be assigned to his case, and she/he can advise and help you, going forward.....
Old 04-19-2019, 08:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

almost worse than his drug use

To be clear he is on prescription narcotics and more.
A distinct possibility that he can't be honest about his drug use,
and he isn't being honest about other things either.

AA saying:
If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is a duck.
Old 04-21-2019, 03:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Kuan…..I suggest that you call his doctor...no matter what he thinks about it. If you don't know the doctor's name...see if you can find it on a prescription bottle or on some of his papers.
If he is hallucinating, this is an emergency situation, in my opinion.
It is not illegal for you to give the doctor information, even if there are not signed forms. I did this all of the time, when my mother would not tell her doctor the truth....(and the doctor didn't tell my mother that I had called)…

Another option is to call emergency services....if he is a danger to himself or to you..they can take him in for a period of time, during which he will have to be seen by two psychiatrists....
Meanwhile, you can call the social worker who will be assigned to his case, and she/he can advise and help you, going forward.....
Hello KuanYin, and Welcome!

This bears repeating. I hope you will be able to reach his doctor to tell him/her what is happening. There could be a variety of reasons for the hallucinations. He could be abusing his meds, but it could be something else entirely.