Daughter of Alcoholic Mother — Wet Brain? The end is near...

Old 03-06-2019, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Daughter of Alcoholic Mother — Wet Brain? The end is near...

Since I was born my mother has always drank, it was always regular and normalized in her upbringing. Glass of wine with dinner each night since her teens. It became more consistent and more repetitive as she started working from home. Glass of wine a little earlier, she didn’t have to drive or go anywhere anyway. I was in kindergarten then.

Speed forward to my 7th year, she’s crying telling my step dad that she has a problem and needs help. I come to the room, she tells me and I run away crying. She completes 30 days of rehab, coming home for Christmas. She was sober for a year and a half to two years. That’s the longest she’s been sober... she’s tried rehab 2 additional times, medical detox, and had lengthy stays in the hospital. She is the most stubborn person, and though she knows she has a problem, nothing is too much. She refuses AA and doesn’t even talk to support groups.

I’ll spare all the details, as what matters is now. She fell and had a brain bleed last year. I’m 26, moved back home recently to help my step dad out because she’s no longer able to work, she doesn’t leave the house anymore. She can barely walk on her own. She’s fallen and hit her head 25+ times. She has recently broken her knee and is wheelchair bound. She doesn’t have the strength to move it around herself though. My step dad has to pick her up and move her to and from the chair, bathe her, and change the diapers she must wear due to the destruction of her organs. He does provide the alcohol for her, though limited amounts, because her quitting cold turkey is life threatening due to her history of GM Siezures & DT’s. & as we all know, you can’t force someone into treatment.

She has RA and COPD, and a multitude of issues. I’m seeing symptoms of Wet Brain, and I’m just lost...

I lost my father 10 years ago to cancer, and where as I was prepared for that, it was sudden. Her drinking is killing her slowly and I know that the end is near. Shes on so many medications, and most recently, B Vitamins. I must also add that she has not had a full meal in over a month.

I know one has a crystal ball, but how much time do you think we’re looking at? I have been trying to prepare myself and mentally detach, but it’s so hard.

Advice would be appreciated, please.
Old 03-06-2019, 08:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I don't think any of us here are qualified to guess how much time she has, but I can say for certainty that help for you is necessary. I would suggest Alanon meetings as a great source of information on what resources are available in your community.

God bless you!
Old 03-06-2019, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry for what you are going through, I cannot imagine
Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Is your mom seeing a Dr.? If so, go along to the next appointment and ask them for advice. Take a list of all the meds (prescription AND vitamins) she's on to make sure none of them are making her situation worse.
There are other (medical) ways to handle DT's, seizures etc. than giving her alcohol, even if it's in small amounts.
Maybe if she were slowly weaned off ALL alcohol, you and your step-Dad would have a better idea of where she is, mentally.

I'm so sorry you are dealing with this.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your support. She’s seeing several doctors. She’s scheduled for a CT scan in the next week, and just had a colonoscopy.

The only issue is, she doesn’t want to stop drinking. She wants to be able to socially drink. Numerous people have told her that’s unfortunately not possible for alcoholics, or addicts of any nature. She doesn’t even do anything socially. If there is a way to quit, she’s tried it... she just never had the real desire to quit, and that’s the issue.

Its so sad to see her just sitting in her chair, day in and day out, not doing anything. She doesn’t remember that she’s at home all of the time either. She’s a soul sitting in a shell of who she once was, and it breaks my heart. I’ve detached as much as I can and I do not try to change or control her & I take care of myself, but it still is so heavy on my mind.

I’m going to go to the next doctor appointments and see what they say. Every time I’ve talked to them, they all say the same thing, that she can’t keep drinking if she wants to live. She laughs, and shrugs it off. She says “theyre just trying to scare me” no, they’re trying to save her.
Old 03-07-2019, 03:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can not- and will not give medical advice, I am no doctor.
My bro died from multiple organ failure from booze.
By different events, I very nearly followed him years later.

I will offer support and my prayers and remind you to care for your own health- rest, food, water...