Newcomer

Old 03-01-2020, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newcomer

Not sure how this works...I am new to this. My baby brother is an active drug user-mainly meth and marijuana I believe, has been off and on for the last five or so years. Just looking for some support and good insight on how to help my family cope with his addiction. My mom, myself and my sister and other brother have been kind of dealing with this "blind" this whole time. We are unsure where to find support for ourselves or just too stubborn to I suppose! thank you all in advance!
Old 03-03-2020, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Good morning, Kaner! Welcome to SR

But I really am sorry you had to find us...

My stepson is who drove me to find help--any kind of help for my now late husband and myself. I highly recommend that you read around the boards, especially the "stickies"--those are the posts permanently 'stuck' to the top of each sub-forum. Lots of great information!

My stepson is an alcoholic, crack addict, well, he'll take anything he can get his hands on, really. The one thing I've learned is that there is absolutely nothing I can do to change his behavior. But what I can do is:

Protect myself - I don't have to lose myself at the altar of someone else's addiction.
Not allow myself to be used to further his addiction.
Not just give him money (he'll use it for drugs or alcohol).
Take my time deciding if and how I will help during the next manufactured crisis. (The late Mr. S and I would sometimes help pay for rent but only if we could mail the check directly to the landlord, for example).
Keep encouraging him, when the opportunities arise, to seek help.

I know how hard this has been for your whole family, and I totally understand the complete range of emotions from grief to anger that you have probably been feeling.

I'm so sorry, again, for the reasons you have had to find us, but I'm glad you did. This is a very supportive community! Stop in any time you need