Is the the beginning

Old 08-18-2018, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is the the beginning

My daughter is in a pysch waiting to be transferred to a rehab center. Is this the beginning of the end of this nightmare or just a calm in the storm.
I don't know how I'm going to relate to her. I'm so mad at her,just today one of her dealers drove past her home while I was moving things out.
She needs to start over and I really wish it wouldn't invovle me.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

W- a very sad time for you and your daughter. No one sets out to be an addict...to booze or drugs or gambling or whatever. The only rules for addiction is there are no rules. It is illogical and people change. I did. For me it was alcohol. Try to console yourself that you need to distance yourself and stay safe and get on with living- not to put your life on hold. This does not mean you do not love your daughter...she is in capable hands and is safe.

People with addiction are - for the majority not bad people who set out to destroy others by damaging, hurtful behaviours- bad behaviours. Addicts are very unwell, sick people who do bad things. It changes them (it did me).

Only the addict can change themselves...be it in a 5 star rehab centre or by themselves with community support...but support is vital, as is the need for the victim of addiction admitting (as is said in AA creed) they are powerless over that addiction. Also- continued support.....I do not see myself as a 'recovered' alcoholic, but with daily support (like SR, counselor, meetings) I am not longer drinking and for life will be a 'recovering' alcoholic.

My prayers for you, your daughter and family. I truly hope she gets well. Remember to look after you- perhaps support meetings, a counselor? Remember to rest, eat and hydrate.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello walkedon,

Welcome to SR!

What lies ahead is entirely in the hands of your daughter. This could be the start of her path to a lifetime of sobriety and a peaceful, healthy life. Or, she could relapse the moment she is released. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to predict or control either outcome.

I have had to let go of my stepson completely after years of rehab, sober living arrests, violent encounters, etc.

If you have an opportunity to go to the family day at rehab, I highly recommend it. Be prepared to listen and ask questions.

Please also know that you deserve some face-to-face support as well--whether it be counseling or Al-Anon or some other group.

SR is a great resource for support and information, too. I'm happy you found us but sorry for the reasons why.