Rehab ?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab ?

Is it me or does every rehab sound the same and make you feel like your child is a "prize"? I feel like they are all car salesmen and which ever one he goes to the person I am talking to gets a nice commission.

On another note. Anyone have any to recommend?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi Hummingbird. It is true that rehab, in some cases, has become an industry and are invested in the addict not getting well because there is no money in a recovered addict. Proceed with caution.

That being said, there are many places who do a wonderful job and do have the addict's best interests at their core. When my stepson went to rehab, we were given several choices by the social worker at the hospital where he was undergoing detox. Perhaps if you get your son to detox then the social worker could assist you?
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree that addiction recovery is a for profit business... and as such care must be taken. I have three experiences....

First is the DETOX... my wife went into a local hospital for polysubstance abuse detox. It was very clinical, and she was in the metal health ward where she was placed with people who had other issues (not necessarily addiction). It was a good experience in that she got the care (medically, meds, etc) that she needed during her detox phase.

Second was IP REHAB (33 days). I researched the facility online and then did a phone assessment with one of the administration staff. My wife and I also visited the facility before agreeing to go. This place was awesome... excellent experience. They were damn expensive, and only had 6 patients per counselor/therapist. They employed no therapists with less than 5 years practical experience outside of the school setting. The credentials were first rate. Cost was another thing... we agreed to a set price... regardless of her length of stay.. and at one point my insurance appeared not to be covering my wife, and the facility agreed to honor the price regardless of insurance. I can not say enough good things about the facility as there were very few issues we had during her stay. One thing I will say, when doing the phone interview, it was a bit of a sales pitch.... but I will not condemn them for that as they are a business. But one thing is they did do scholarships for those that were not able to afford it if they believed them to be a good case.

Third is the TRANSITIONAL LIVING facility. This one was not as good of an experience as we would have liked. Part of it was that we were led to believe that it was a 30 day program, but it really is a 6 month program in which they will accommodate 30 day stays (which they then encourage you to stay longer). Their IOP appears to be setup more for the 6 month program, so it was not as good as we would have liked. Would we recommend this place for a short stay, sure, but we would have structured our expectations differently if we had know it was really meant for 6 month stays.

If you want the names of any of these places, please let me know and I will be more than happy to share them.
Old 02-28-2018, 11:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hummingbird. My son found a wonderful program in Campo, California, however I do believe you might have to be a California Resident to quality. It is called Freedom Ranch. The staff there are all great folks, and it is a "no frills" place where the guys are in shared rooms, they are in the woods with no distractions. My son has been there three times and the third time was really the charm. it is a 4 month inpatient program with a 9 month program of after care called Pathfinders, which is also very good. If you are not a resident of California, you might have to pay the higher monthly fee and they don't take insurance. What I will tell you is that the people there really care for their residents and they are honest and straight forward. Its full 12 steps and full abstinence based.
T
Old 11-09-2018, 04:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to a state facility.
I had long term sobriety and relapsed.
I was there twice, the second time I was Baker Acted there.
This rehab was low end. I had no medical coverage.
I had the gift of desperation and I am grateful to be clean and sober.
Some people have been to rehab many times.
Rehab is an opportunity for a willing person who is serious about recovery.
Any rehab is better than no rehab.
Just my opinion.
I have over 7 years clean and sober now.