Anyone ever do an intervention?

Old 02-24-2018, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone ever do an intervention?

Spoke to a counselor last night and he feels we should get an interventionist to meet with us when we go out to our son before the gf leaves him. He feels the 3 of us should sit with the interventionist and tell him he needs to go to rehab.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello hummingbird,

Yes, but not with a professional interventionist. My stepson's brothers drove into town (they live in another state) and joined his sister and father in all sitting down with him at one time to tell them how concerned they were and that he was killing himself. No counselor or professionals involved.

They did convince him to go to the hospital where he detoxed, went through the DTs with hallucinations and all, was given a 50/50 shot to live through the alcoholic hepatitis, jaundice, and the ascites he was experiencing.

Miraculously, my stepson survived this. And returned to drinking and drugging which he continues to this day. He has been hospitalized 3 times now and has been to rehab and sober living. He is just not done yet, unfortunately.

I won't discourage you from doing this, as some here may. I would only hope that you and your son's ex-gf will temper your expectations about the outcome.

Sending prayers for strength and peace.
Old 02-24-2018, 04:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi hummingbird,

I wanted to add that whatever you decide to do, we will support you here. None of this is easy. Having an addicted child is just so hard on so many levels.

Old 02-24-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Spoke to an interventionist.... $3500 for her to do this. $150 an hour for any phone calls or research.
25% success rate after rehab....
Very depressing.

Feels he should be taken out of state to a rehab, the longer the better.
She has an 85% success rate at getting them to commit to go.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I booked an intervention for my son. It was as if he knew about it because he stole money to go and find beer and dope on the scheduled night. I didn’t tell him about it because I knew he’d go out. He stayed out whilst I was talking to the intervention guy. He cost $400. He didn’t meet my son but he and I talked about me and what I needed to do to change the situation. At first I was indignant that he thought I needed recovery but now I see that that our talk marked the beginning of the shift in me... my recovery which is very important to my son and his potential to recover. I’d been the enabler.... preventing any chances of his recovery. Now I see it that way, I can let go. I love him enough to let go in order to give him the chance too
Old 02-24-2018, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Yes, I know they are expensive and the success is often limited. Our reality was that my stepson was not ready to give up. We did talk him into going to the hospital, going to rehab, going to sober living, going to intensive outpatient. None of it stuck because he simply was not ready. I pray some day he will be.

I know this is depressing. I know this is not at all what you are hoping and praying to hear. I get it...really.

It is entirely up to you whether or not you want to spend that kind of money to an interventionist. An extended stay at rehab (6 mos +) can also be several thousand dollars a month.

You and your dear son will be in my prayers.
Old 02-24-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Because there was harm intended by me
on myself, red flag went up. My husband
tried to forcibly take me to the hospital
and wasn't successful. A phone call was
made by in laws and spouse seeking
assistance into what to do with me.

With proper help, officers were summoned
to pick me up and take me to the hospital
for an evaluation where i was tested to
determine my state of mind.

The result of my test was that I had
a drinking problem. Addiction to alcohol
and was ordered to stay in rehab 2 weeks.

After 2 weeks i wasn't ready to return
home and remained where i was completing
28 days with a 6 week aftercare program
attached to finish my rehab experience.

That happened 27 yrs ago as I continue
on my road of recovery incorporating
important tools and knowledge taught
to me building a strong solid foundation
to live my life upon to achieve health,
happiness and honesty one day at a
time.

This process has worked for me
because of my continuous recovery.

Hope my experience, strength and
hopes can help you in some small way.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Losing It!!

Yes We Did Intervention

Originally Posted by hummingbird1094 View Post
Spoke to a counselor last night and he feels we should get an interventionist to meet with us when we go out to our son before the gf leaves him. He feels the 3 of us should sit with the interventionist and tell him he needs to go to rehab.
Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it worked out.
Hello
Yes we did an intervention for my 23 yr old son back in October. It happens exactly like on tv. He met with my entire family day before; everyone wrote letters. The n XX morning everyone just showed up at my house. Because my son was already high on meth; and just naturally stubborn as hell; after 5 hours of talking on and off to him he still refused to go. I told him he could get his stuff and leave and he knew I was dead serious. He went to treatment...came home after the 30 days and was using 3 days later. At this very moment I am sitting in the Atlanta airport putting him on a plane and sending him to yet another treatment. Fingers crossed