Help

Old 07-29-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Help

I really need to talk to someone.. my husband is an alcoholic and uses meth every once in a while and I wish I had someone I can relate to
Old 07-29-2017, 06:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi VJohnson. I'm in the same boat. My guy starts drinking between 10:30 am and 11 and by dinner is incoherent and ready to pass out. It is like groundhog day. I can set my watch by how many beers he's had to what mood he will be in. There is grumpiness when he wakes up and anxiety until he feels justified having his first beer. This is followed by a "happy juice" period where is mood is quite animated. This is followed by sloppy slurring indecipherable conversation and then the darkness sets in where he calls me names, gets angry and gets verbally abusive. The saving grace for me is that he is asleep by 7 pm. I've recently been laid off my job so I witness this first hand. When I used to come home from work I couldn't figure out how or believe that he could be so drunk by 6 pm. I find that if I drink with him he doesn't annoy me as much and we have fun. I usually end up black out drunk though and can't remember anything the next day and feel like crap. He goes to sleep but I keep drinking. This is unacceptable because it is no life to live. I made the decision that the only thing I can do to get out from under this mess is to take care of myself regardless what his choices are. So I choose to not drink. I choose to not drink because it is ruining his life and mine. I choose to not drink because I can't control it when I do. I am hoping that I will become stronger and then be able to make better life choices. So long story short if you are anything like me maybe focus on yourself or if you have the strength and ability, get away from him. But hey this is my first week of admitting I have a problem. I'm hoping this forum will help. Reading other posts really makes me feel less alone. You will find many people on here that are non judgemental and helpful. I think there are some alanon type threads on here too to help people who live with alcoholic family members. I hope my story makes you feel less alone and some how helps a tiny bit.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, yjohnson and DaisyBlueNew. Welcome to you both.
Lots of support here.
No advice, just...welcome.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome- al-anon is once resource you could look into.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dear yjohnson and DaisyBlueNew...
Welcome to SR, you have found a great super resourse group! And welcome to our world

F2F meetings, like Phoenix has suggested are great tools, please take advantage of them...don't fear the meetings...just go, we have been in your shoes and the support, education and hope will be there.
You took a brave first step by recognizing and wanting to correct and address the drinking issues.
You are passionate about a life of sobriety and having a recovery plan, these are sweet words to this members ears.
Take care and know that we are here and that we care.
Great big warm hugs!
TF