Trading one addiction for another

Old 03-26-2016, 03:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trading one addiction for another

My Husband is addicted to alcohol. He will be going into rehab soon which is a good thing but I often hear that people trade one addiction for another such as coming clean from alcohol but then being addicting to sex.
How common is this? I mean, I'm already torn apart from his alcohol dependency but sex addiction for a marriage is something in my mind that is way worse. Thoughts?
Old 03-26-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

try not to freak out about things that haven't even happened yet. not EVERY addict jumps from drugs to sex addiction. try to be glad he is going to rehab...it is a start.

in the meanwhile, you could take time to look at the BIG picture and decide if this is what you signed up for........
Old 03-26-2016, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but my husband traded crack for weed 21 months ago, but now seems as if he's dabbling in the crack again. Seems just being in the "vehicle" of addiction can take you down different destructive paths. In the end it's all the same... A means to an end.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello AW! Welcome!

I'm sorry your husband struggles with this disease, but it is good news that he is planning a rehab stay.

I agree with Anvil, though...try not to "awfulize" about what may happen next (a term I learned here). Maybe think of this as a golden opportunity to enjoy some peace knowing that he is safe getting the help he needs.

Please know you are not the only one here who has had a spouse in rehab. Keep reading, keep posting, we are here to support you!