Heart broken

Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heart broken

My daughter is an addict. She's 26 with a beautiful little girl of her own who now lives with me because of neglect and abuse.
I just don't understand how any high could be more important than caring for your children..
I don't understand how anyone would willingly use heroin to begin with...
My granddaughter hasn't been back yup my daughter's in over 2 months..
She hadn't seen her mom since Xmas and then it was only for 20 minutes before my daughter and her POS boyfriend had a yelling match and i made them leave...
My grand daughter told me she doesn't remember what home looks likes cuz she hadn't been there in so long...
She doesn't ask when she's going to see get mom.. I don't know what to say if she does..
I'm hoping there's someone who can share some wisdom in how to get through all of this..
Old 01-10-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Remind yourself before you get out of bed that you are your granddaughters angel. That your sacrifices are for her health and wellbeing. Entrust that both will be taken care. She's a blessing for you and you for her.

Please take care of yourself too - so that you will have the strength and peace to raise this little girl if need be. Hugs to you from one grandma to another.

keep coming back and read as many stories as you can. Try a meeting in your area (Alanon, CoDA, Naranon) Read Codependent No More by Melody Beattie. It helped me a lot. Listening to it on CD, while driving. Best to you as you navigate each day.
Joie
Old 01-10-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Joie.. I will pick up the book you mentioned next weekend...
You are right..my grand daughter is my blessing and I thank God each day for getting her out of the situation she was in.. I appreciate your reply.. Very kind words. Thank you
Old 01-10-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

As a mom, I too was unable to wrap my brain around why a bright, loving, sweet young lady would think for a minute of trying heroin. it seemed my daughter couldn't really explain that either, even once she had decided she needed help. I suspect much of it is about being young and not too mature and thinking that one is invincible - "Addiction happens to others, not me. I'm just going to give it a try" type thing.

Once I read about opiates and the physical changes they make to the brain, it helped me to understand a bit how my daughter did things I never ever would have imagined. I do think they become prisoners to heroin. It's a horrible drug...like being possessed it seems.

You are indeed an angel to your precious grand daughter. I'm so thankful you are there to protect her. I hope your daughter really wants to get clean one day soon, but in the meantime, bless you for keeping your grandchild safe.