Update on 23 year old daighter

Old 07-08-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on 23 year old daighter

A short while ago I posted that I believed my daughter to be near death from her alcoholism and unresolved mh issues. I appreciate everyone's support and encouragement. It was a tough few weeks but I held strong to my boundaries and did not allow her to manipulate me with sending her money. She was so angry, crying and begging telling me she was starving. So, I contacted 4 food banks within walking distance of her home. Guess what? She went to them, called and got approved for food stamps and health insurance. I just wanted to share my realization that if I just get out of the way, my daughter may have an opportunity to grow up and succeed. Small steps, actually pretty big steps for her that she accomplished all this in a short time. To me, that is a little.miracle and some light just for today. Not sure what tomorrow holds, but today I can be grateful.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's great katelop. I hope she continues to take care of herself.
I know it's hard at first to set boundaries. You did great!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the news. It's certainly positive.

One day at a time.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wonderful news! Our adult children have to begin to take the steps themselves. I have also provided the resources for JJ to find his way to the solution. Sometimes he did it without me as well!
Old 07-09-2015, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, getting out of the way made a huge difference for me and my RAD. I learned that she is very resourceful on her own, but could use the emotional outbursts and money needs to pull me in. It is hard to set these kinds of boundaries, but you are doing great! I wish all the best for you both.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Wonderful news! Our adult children have to begin to take the steps themselves. I have also provided the resources for JJ to find his way to the solution. Sometimes he did it without me as well!
I sometimes believe, and hope, that one day my RAD will be " normal" whatever that is. But my script for her life is not the way things should be necessarily. I have evolved to wanting her to just be happy, joyous and free. That means many different things to people. Today she seems high spirited and capable. All I can do is pray and offer encouragement and praise when she does succeed.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dear Katelop, not sure if "normal" will apply with recovery, but happy joyous and free? That sounds perfect. JJ is a very happy person and he told me that when he was on the streets even in the depth of using, his nickname was "smiles". I am happy that he now finds joy in sobriety (for today). He is FAR from normal though LOL.