Alcohol/methadone combo withdrawal

Old 06-23-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol/methadone combo withdrawal

My last post generated very little feedback, but, does anyone have any useful info, experience, etc for helping a family member going through alcohol withdrawal and about to start methadone withdrawal as well? ???
Old 06-23-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would definitely get help from a doctor on this one. I personally went thru methadone withdrawal and it was the hardest thing i have ever done. Even after tapering. I can't imagine having another substance to withdrawal from.
And fyi: mixing alcohol and methadone is very dangerous!
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by peanut44 View Post
I would definitely get help from a doctor on this one. I personally went thru methadone withdrawal and it was the hardest thing i have ever done. Even after tapering. I can't imagine having another substance to withdrawal from.
And fyi: mixing alcohol and methadone is very dangerous!
I hear ya and glad you made it through. I've heard about the methadone/alcohol combo being dangerous but we can't tell him that. He's been getting dosed at another clinic that isn't breathalizing him (his normal clinic is well versed in his past relapses) but his father is about to refuse going a half hour away anymore vs 10 minutes. What I can't get is his alcohol withdrawals (so he says) so soon after the last drink while on methadone! I thought that would at least help. I'm frustrated cause there isn't some "magic" phone number for answers on just what to do. He's very reluctant to go to the hospital or treatment center cause according to him......in the past they didn't give him near enough medicine to help with withdrawals and he was PISSED. Caused major disruptions there.....trust me.