Hope without expectations

Old 05-28-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hope without expectations

....is what my therapist tells me.....

My addict son and his GF are both in rehab at the moment. Grandaughter has been living with us for 9 weeks today, all thanks largely to dcf (and in my son's case, criminal court) involvement.

Next week.........his GF has been accepted into a residential treatment program about 1 hour north of us. If she does well, the plan will be to start transitioning my granddaughter back to living with her mother (at the facility) and at a minimum, by 30 days, she will be staying overnight with her mother at least 4 nights out of the week (potential more). The typical length of stay from what I see on their website is 4-6 mos.

My son will be completing rehab (3 whole weeks, sigh) at the end of next week. He has applied to several sober living houses in the same area as his GF and has been accepted so far to 2. He is leaning towards one in particular.

so...........here I sit. Scared to hope........but really wanting to.....sigh.......Trying not to think too much about how difficult it will be when my GD is no longer living with us. Trying to remind myself that there is no better scenario for her return than to be in a controlled/supervised environment where her mom will be getting not only substance abuse treatment, but parenting classes, etc, as well.

thanks for listening........so many mixed emotions.

WWD
Old 05-28-2015, 07:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is good news, WWD, and I completely understand your ambivalence and worry about your GD. The program her mother is in sounds like the best possible scenario for potential success. I will keep you all in my thoughts.

Here's a poem by Emily Dickinson I think of when I am feeling a little battered by life:

'Hope' is the thing with feathers—
That perches in the soul—
And sings the tune without the words—
And never stops—at all—

And sweetest—in the Gale—is heard—
And sore must be the storm—
That could abash the little Bird
That kept so many warm—

I've heard it in the chillest land—
And on the strangest Sea—
Yet, never, in Extremity,
It asked a crumb—of Me.

-Emily Dickinson
Old 05-30-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Practicing hope without expectation is hard, but it sure is beneficial. I am sending lots of good thoughts and envisioning a positive outcome for your grandbaby's parents. What a wonderful program for the mom!

Garden Mama, I have that poem as a framed print in my room. It became one of my favorites.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

WWD--a lot going on. Sending hope and prayers and love to all...that there will be positive steps achieved in all of this and that your precious granddaughter will have a better life with parents. Know that you are cared about; the mixed emotions make all too much sense...you are doing so much as are your son and daughter-in-law. These are huge steps.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the poem Gardenmama...this poem is amongst my many favorites.