The Real Cause of Addiction - Connection vs. Abandonment

Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Real Cause of Addiction - Connection vs. Abandonment

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think | Johann Hari
Old 04-09-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

This is the article I referred to in another thread. It is an important article, in my estimation.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep it's been posted a few times. Seemed obvious to me when I read it but others disagree.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can imagine that people indoctrinated solely in fundamental AA/Alanon discourse would have a problem with the article.

I think it makes a lot of sense. But then I am more a quantum physics gal (everything is connected) as opposed to a more Newtonian (separation of mind/body) perspective.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Is it not the medical model folk who might be opposed to it? Genetics, chemical imbalance etc

I would have thought it would fit the AA framework, the result of a spiritual malady as they say?

Well anyway, same as yourself here. I came to the conclusion once that everything was one thing
Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes. I think the Medical Model peeps would be opposed to it (and the origin of the medical model is the Newtonian mind/body separation thought).

I don't think it fits with the AA Framework, which is fundamental Christian doctrine (so when they speak of spiritual malady, I don't think they would define it this broadly - I could be wrong about that, and would love to hear pro-AA discussion of the subject if there is any).
Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body, I dunno". A line that always captured my attention by Morrissey & The Smiths - Still Ill.

Thanks for the history lesson, I'l read more into it. Yeah, I'm a bit confused by AA it kinda scares me in some ways. I'm just a seeker, and a bad one at that.

And yet there are some folks who swear by AA and seem to have a great depth of spiritual knowledge. I would like to hear that discussion also if possible.
Old 04-10-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

This, like any other theory relating to addiction, is worthy of further research. However, I'm not sure the content of this article can be trusted if the author cannot. He has been found guilty of plagiarism, has had a major literary award stripped from him, and he maliciously attacked other writers' entries on wikipedia using a pseudonym.

The tale of Mr Hari and Dr Rose

The Orwell Prize and Johann Hari | The Orwell Prize

I do hope, however, that researchers are still pursuing these ideas, along with all others, in their pursuit to reduce the rates of addiction in this world.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have seen this opinion piece before and will say that while I agree addiction should be destigmatized and that I don't believe addiction is a disease a lot of what this guy says is just wrong.

Street junkies don't turn to pills because they are isolated and alone, rather pill poppers become street junkies because it is cheaper and easier to get heroin than it is pills.

Addiction is caused not by the drug itself but by the way the drug affects the neurotransmitters and receptors in the brain. This is why an alcoholic can never go back to drinking normally.

There is also the assumption that all addicts live alone and are totally isolated from society. Nothing could be further from the truth. The addict typically only becomes isolated after years of using and driving society away from them. Before that they had community, jobs, family, friends. I know. I am a recovered alcoholic myself.

I would also be careful depending on things quoted by Gabor Mates and the art park guy. While I haven't looked into them myself I do know that a lot of their works have been challenged, disputed, and proven to be incomplete and sometimes just wrong.

When an addict has stolen from you, caused you to lose hundreds of hours of work at your job, thousands of dollars in legal and medical costs it is not because they don't have a connection to society its because they are an addict and in the end they just don't want to get better.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have known plenty of people who have support groups/spouses/family/friends who have fallen into addiction. This guy's theory is anecdotal and weak at best
Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I had no knowledge of the author's issues, re: credibility. I just found some points in the piece interesting - like the part about regular people being prescribed heavy duty meds in the hospital and then NOT becoming addicts (challenging the rat experiment that anyone exposed to a substance will become addicted).
Old 04-10-2015, 11:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My aunt is on pain meds to treat a chronic condition. She was concerned about becoming addicted and her pain doc said only about 9.5% of people prescribed pain meds to treat a chronic condition go on to abuse them.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ethical limitations prevent researchers from 'testing' addiction rates in previously non-addicted people. Researchers can't conduct an experiment in which people who are not currently displaying any addictive tendencies are made to, for example, smoke crack for a week just to see what happens after than one week.

Animal models (rats, rabbits, etc.) are typically used for this sort of experiment but are also bound by strict ethical controls as well as a lack of standard practice. An article which addresses the inherent problems associated with animal models in medical research can be found here:

http://www.the-scientist.com/?articl...Animal-Models/
Old 04-11-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Seek, thanks for the article link. I think that social isolation and chronic "outsiderness" from an early age through college years and beyond was probably one strong factor in my case.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

All the different fields of mental health, behavioral health, medical physicians, psychology, neuropsychology, psychiatry, neuropsychiatry etc ect etc....... approach addiction from their specialized and unique perspectives.

There are two things I've learned that I believe 100%

a) anyone can become dependent
b) not everyone will recover from it
Old 04-12-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am a believer in the significance of human connection and the well being it can bring to our lives however I am totally on the same page as happybeingme as my personal experiences with addiction is that the addict came from a loving and humanly connected place and landed in a place of isolation because of the pain and chaos their addiction created for those who were in and a part of their life.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by seek View Post
This is the article I referred to in another thread. It is an important article, in my estimation.

Thank you so much for sharing this article. It renews my faith and thinking in how I want to help my son!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

cbcdix: I don't know your story, but be careful with the "helping." There is definitely a fine line between "helping" alcoholics/addicts and hurting them. It can be very confusing.

I am "helping" right now with a sober living environment, etc. I can get carried away, though and it crosses into hurting me, mainly (I don't buy into blaming myself for hurting the alcoholic/addict - I feel they are responsible for their own actions) - I don't make excuses for them, buy them booze or do any of the crazy stuff you read about in those quizzes. I only "help" when they are wanting to get sober or are in recovery.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I think this is possible but definitely not 100%

Ironically I see a good example for and against this through 2 addicts actually connected. One adult wasn't 'abandoned' yet they can't stand the way their family does things. It's all about their vision/expectations of protocols, customs or even how much money should be spent on them and other things. They consider their family messed up simply because we don't things exactly like their friends & families(many with more money). The same adult and partner were frequently absentee parents legal( or not) doing anything from leaving the child in day care unnecessarily as long as possible or dumping them on friend and other families for frequent stay overs as a preteen especially. That child still in teens now has a drug problem. Details are sketchy but they are flunking school and basically acting like a classic juvenile delinquent.

I guess what I'm trying to say is yes I can see a teen or younger addict more likely to have this issue but a gray haired adult who had parents that paid attention through their adult years have different issues/causes of their addictions behaviors.

Ironically the feels and talked about being abandoned by at least one ex boss and some lifetime friends who don't see with him eye to eye. Also when talking to him and there are other people or frequently by yourself he seems to seek, create or manufacture validation for his opinion with affirmative nods, lots of "rights-right?... etc.

I might substitute abandonment with personal disappointment.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I read this article recently and thought about posting it on this forum but I see someone else already has. I can understand the detraction from its POV but I think the bottom line is correct and true: individuals seek drugs to kill pain as all drugs of abuse effect the parts of the brain that respond to both physical and emotional pain.