Just need to vent

Old 03-07-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just need to vent

Just need to vent...bad week.

My son just got out of jail Thursday. He was there a little over 2 months. He was there for violation of probation. The probation was for cocaine possession. He got 3 years probation and had done a year successfully. He violated probation by breaking a law (petty theft) although he claims he didn't do it. Claims he 'doesn't remember' doing it. Claims he had a 'psychotic break.'

He has been doing drugs off and on (a binge user) for 15 years. Also has a severe back problem which doesn't help. I saw MRI reports and he has had several procedures and has a pain management doctor.

This 'psychotic break' thing is new. I witnessed one in early December. He was in our yard chasing imaginary people. We called 911 as we couldn't handle him. The ER doctor Baker Acted him. The Baker Act is something we have in Florida which allows someone to be held against their will for 72 hours for psychiatric/medical evaluation. The law is a godsend in my opinion. Psychotic breaks can happen for various reasons such as lack of sleep over time (like he hadn't slept in two full days then), or drugs such as Ativan he took for anxiety. Probably took too much. So it is possible he had a psychotic break and tried to steal something but I am doubting that. Sounds too convenient. But whatever....bringing us up to this week.

So he gets out of jail Thursday and Thursday all goes well. Friday morning I think he had too much of his prescribed meds maybe cause I gave them to him but relied on how much he said he could take. Really, really stupid I know. Super stupid.

So all day Friday he was off and on saying weird things. He thought people were here who weren't but quickly said "Oh I did it again. My daughter isn't here, she's in school, right?" He called the psychiatrist on the phone and thought he was talking to the dentist describing a dental situation. Stuff like that off and on. At dinner he asked everyone if the table was slanting downhill. Yet that morning he was required to report for probation. He passed the drug test cause otherwise they arrest you. The po later called and said she told him to wait for some papers and when she came back he had left. She said he was acting a little off but she didn't know why. Other people witnessed him saying things that didn't make sense as well. In the early evening he said he just wasn't feeling well and wanted to go to the ER. He just got more and more confused. I told the doctor about everything. That he is an addict, has a legit back problem (they have records of all his back procedures as he had them done at that hospital), the past psychotic break that he was Baker Acted for, etc.

So last night was really bad because his usual thing is he asks to go the ER and then doesn't want to stay. Pulls out all his stuff they have him hooked up to and tries to leave. So the ER doctor Baker Acted him again. He thinks we did it to him but we would have if the doctor wouldn't have. Family members can if there is consensus I think but the doctor can do it easier just by his word. So we were grateful. Such a nice understanding doctor.

The ER was HARD cause my husband is the most patient man I know and even he almost lost his calm. He almost hit my son. My son just would keep saying the same things over and over and asking the same questions and kept trying to leave until they finally got a security guard for his door. With the Baker Act, they assign a security guard. We went to visit him today and a guard sits in their room all day and night. Love that Baker Act. It gives me peace of mind.

He currently has some blood platelet issues that are fairly serious. Too many platelets. One of the symptoms of that is confusion. Geez. That could be the reason for the breaks as well. It's all a mess and this is long but that is what a vent is for I guess. Lol!

So after they get his blood situation under control at least then he goes over to the psychiatric pavillion for evaluation....again.

If anyone is still reading, thanks, lol. No need for anyone to read or even comment. I think I just needed to get it all out with people who understand the chaos of addiction and how draining it all is. I have learned a few things from last time this happened. It is almost like a repeat of a t.v. show, sheesh. He WILL follow up with hemotologist THIS time though. Grrrr.

Kari (who thinks she needs a hug, lol)
Old 03-07-2015, 08:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

(((((Kari,))))) here's hug for you. It is so draining and frightening to see your child in this condition. Sorry you had to deal with it. Sounds like your son and mine are very much alike.

We had a recent situation with my son being very disoriented, agitated and seeing things that weren't there. He was having DTs due to suddenly going cold turkey from vodka. Long story short, he ended up in the hospital for 5 days of detox. It was very scary for me to see him in such an awful state.

I hope your son gets a good evaluation and pursues the recovery the facility will either offer or recommend. Stay strong and know we are listening.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find some answers Kari. Conditions like that are so complicated and hard to figure out. In my experience Doctors are not very good and finding the answers. I hope the hematologist can help. Maybe he should see a Neurologist.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BellaBlue View Post
(((((Kari,))))) here's hug for you. It is so draining and frightening to see your child in this condition. Sorry you had to deal with it. Sounds like your son and mine are very much alike.

We had a recent situation with my son being very disoriented, agitated and seeing things that weren't there. He was having DTs due to suddenly going cold turkey from vodka. Long story short, he ended up in the hospital for 5 days of detox. It was very scary for me to see him in such an awful state.

I hope your son gets a good evaluation and pursues the recovery the facility will either offer or recommend. Stay strong and know we are listening.
Thanks for the hug. Very much appreciated!

Luckily, while he was in jail, I decided to schedule an appointment for ME for a counselor. I am going Thursday. Hopefully she will help me cope with everything and have recommendations. Her credentials look strong for working with addiction. If you haven't already, you should consider counseling. I think we parents deserve help to cope with it all!

Thanks for listening.

Kari
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
I hope you find some answers Kari. Conditions like that are so complicated and hard to figure out. In my experience Doctors are not very good and finding the answers. I hope the hematologist can help. Maybe he should see a Neurologist.
A neurologist is a good idea. We are going to do our best to get him to have a complete medical workup and counseling to get this mess sorted out.

Thanks, Kari
Old 03-08-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sending HUGS! I have seen JJ in one of those types of psychotic states and its terrifying. I am glad they will continue to look at physiological reasons for this behavior. Praying for your peace Kari.
TT
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Another big HUG from me, KariSue. Sorry you are going through this. And I have found my counselor to be a great help dealing with the anxiety and stress of all this.
Old 03-08-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sending more hugs. It sounds scary and exhausting! I'm glad you have a counselors appointment coming up and I really hope that they get to the bottom of what is causing his confusion. Get some rest while you can!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ilovemysonjj View Post
Sending HUGS! I have seen JJ in one of those types of psychotic states and its terrifying. I am glad they will continue to look at physiological reasons for this behavior. Praying for your peace Kari.
TT
Thanks for the hugs.

He saw a psychiatrist at the hospital today and seemed like he really felt better after the talk. I wasn't home but the psychiatrist called my husband and said he suspects my son might have Bipolar II disorder. It feels so good to at least know there is a name for what he has and a treatment. It seems like Bipolar II is a somewhat milder form of Bipolar Depression. I am thankful for 'milder' but mostly grateful that we have at least something to go on.

The puzzle pieces are starting to come together I hope, hope, hope.

He doesn't even remember most of what went on the in the ER on Friday night. I went to visit him today and he said "What happened?" It's kind of scary but at least we have a start.

Kari
Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Saw my daughter who did crystal meth twice like that...it is very very frightening...the first time she was admitted for 5 days...was in such bad shape broke her nose by running into a wall (thank God it was at a hospital).