Sugar addiction - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2020, 01:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Sugar addiction

I'm new. I didn't see a category for Sugar Addiction. If I missed it could someone please help me find it. Thank you. I've been addicted to sugar all my life. I'm practicing abstinence right now. Been off sugar since the 2nd of Jan. Anyone else suffering from this too?
CrystalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CrystalBlue For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is one here, in the Nutrition section:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...free-join.html (Quitting sugar: feel free to join!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
CrystalBlue (01-09-2020), Dee74 (01-11-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

I suffer as well. Crystal I am two weeks off of sugar and I feel so much better after the holidays. I have a problem with binge eating sugar. We can use this thread here to support each other and others as well.
Bethany57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bethany57 For This Useful Post:
CrystalBlue (02-12-2020), Dee74 (01-11-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well my sugar abstinence didn't last very long. I had a sugar binge today and I just feel awful. Ugh.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Crystal.

Likewise I've been addicted to sugar my entire life, I just didn't know it.

When I reached some 9-10 months milestone in my sobriety I noticed that me destructive eating habits (sugar addiction and binge eating) bother me a lot. And I noticed their patterns shared a lot in common with drinking.

So I took a serious approach - no refined sugar. At all - just like alcohol.

I lived happily without sugar for about a year and a half when I lost my vigilance and let this sneaky voice "I can have just one" fool me.

It's harder with sugar and other addictive food - society almost pushes us into its trap, and when I say that I don't eat sugar I get some side glances like I am a weirdo or a crazy person obsessed with eating right.

I deeply regret that I let dominating opinion (which, by no means, necessarily equals "right opinion" ) to undermine my values about my health and lifestyle.

But I am so sick of wrestling with this, so it's time to restore the way of life I personally prefer.

So, tomorrow it my first day back on track.

Like with alcohol it's crucial to have a plan and anticipate triggers and prepare counters for them.

I am going through a rough time now - the company I've been working for is letting go the entire department, so I need to look for another job.

But time is never perfect, so ready or not - sugar is being made redundant as well.

Jump on board )

Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong

Hope is not a strategy, luck is not a factor, fear is not an option.
MidnightBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
CrystalBlue (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Sober since October

Two days back on track.

Had a headache today which often follows tapering off sugar, but workout fixed this issue.

From my experience things are going tough at Day 5 - just like with drinking the memories of feeling crappy after overeating sugar wear off and, at the same time, cravings powered neurochemical processes kick on.

So, I need to get a plan together because willpower will no be enough - been there.

Inside of a ring or out, ain't nothing wrong with going down. It's staying down that's wrong

The Following User Says Thank You to MidnightBlue For This Useful Post:
CrystalBlue (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Two days back on track.

Had a headache today which often follows tapering off sugar, but workout fixed this issue.

From my experience things are going tough at Day 5 - just like with drinking the memories of feeling crappy after overeating sugar wear off and, at the same time, cravings powered neurochemical processes kick on.

So, I need to get a plan together because willpower will no be enough - been there.
I guess that for myself, I've decided not to count days off of sugar. I don't see the need to do it. I already know there will be days when I will have sugar and if I count days abstinent then when I relapse, it just becomes a method of making myself feel bad because I did. Then I will have start all over again from day one. I personally just don't believe in doing that for sugar. So I'm going to give it my best shot and nix the guilt along the way. Best of luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to CrystalBlue For This Useful Post:
MidnightBlue (02-20-2020)
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sober since October

Hi.

Surely, whatever works best.

For me counting days recovering from sugar addiction isn't the same as in case with alcohol.

I am doing this more for tracking my neurochemistry workings, overall well-being, mood, level of energy, quality of sleep, and all the other factors which are in more or less degree correlated with sugar consumption.

When tracking days I can say at which moment cravings subside, when stop having urges, or when I don't really want sugar, but keep entertaining the old pattern of thinking that if I turn down a sugary treat at some celebration I am missing out.

I am not programming myself that there will be days when I will have sugar (from my experience I can say that after a long period of abstinence a sugary treat is never that good as I've expected it to be), but if it happens, I will get the accurate representation of my relationships with sugar which will help me to make better choices in the future.

And when I used to fall off the no-sugar wagon the feeling I experienced wasn't exactly guilt, but rather disappointment and annoyance that again I let old habits and believes mess up with something good I'd put a lot of efforts creating.

Best of luck to you too)

BTW, it's Day 8 for me.