Needing advice and support... OA question - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2019, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Needing advice and support... OA question

Hello!

I am 5 days sober from alcohol and drugs although binge eating and obsession with needing to eat constantly has been my longest addiction.

When i try to quit drugs and alcohol i gain a lot of weight and eat constantly which i hear is pretty common.

The eating addixtion is waaaaay stronger than my alcohol and drug addixtion which is horrible and deadly at the amount that i have been using but as you most probably know due to the fact you need food to survive and eating large amounts is common and acepted its an even harder addiction to control.

I have had weight loss surgeries, taken the pills, had exercise addiction, prayed and meditated, used apps, therapy, fasted or just got high to stop the urge for more than 18 years now.... I really need to be clean off of drugs and alcohol but at what cost?? I am still owing 4k from my last weight loss surgery which is no longer helping my eating.

I go to aa meetings and sometimes they mention drugs and even food but binging on food is a wholw different animal in my opinion. I have been neevous to try OA....

​​​​​

​​​​
Rsanchez920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rsanchez920 found treatment at None (N/A)
The Following User Says Thank You to Rsanchez920 For This Useful Post:
Stayingsassy (01-22-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 04:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Accidenroly cut off my message... Part 2

[QUOTE=Rsanchez920;7346071]Hello!

I am 5 days sober from alcohol and drugs although binge eating and obsession with needing to eat constantly has been my longest addiction.

When i try to quit drugs and alcohol i gain a lot of weight and eat constantly which i hear is pretty common.

The eating addixtion is waaaaay stronger than my alcohol and drug addixtion which is horrible and deadly at the amount that i have been using but as you most probably know due to the fact you need food to survive and eating large amounts is common and acepted its an even harder addiction to control.

I have had weight loss surgeries, taken the pills, had exercise addiction, prayed and meditated, used apps, therapy, fasted or just got high to stop the urge for more than 18 years now.... I really need to be clean off of drugs and alcohol but at what cost?? I am still owing 4k from my last weight loss surgery which is no longer helping my eating.

I go to aa meetings and sometimes they mention drugs and even food but binging on food is a wholw different animal in my opinion. I have been neevous to try OA....

​​​​​

I am assuming they also use the big book? Does the literature address the differences?? Was it helpful?? I just this will be the focul point of my life forever and its miserable😫thoughts? Ideas? What helps you?
Rsanchez920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Rsanchez920 found treatment at None (N/A)
Old 12-30-2019, 04:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi Rsanchez

this is a quieter forum but I just wanted you to know folks are reading

I have no experience with OA but I hope others will have

D
Old 12-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am so sorry you are suffering but congrats on being sober! That is amazing. I have never been to OA but from what I have heard about it - it may be something to help you. Why not give it a try? I also suffer from binge eating. It is hard to kick but I keep getting up and brushing myself off. It is a very hard addiction to control. Just keep it at one day at a time. Keep busy and exercise if you can- that really helps. I wish you all the best and offer you support - although I struggle myself. Keep posting!
Bethany57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rsanchez-

Welcome to this side of the forum.

I have not been to OA (I live in a small community w/out an active program), but I have used AA, Al-Anon etc to help with my eating disorders.

I am not sure from your original post of how you identify from a gender standpoint but I find many women's meetings for AA to be easy and in good company to talk about food challenges.....honestly it often comes up.

I also wanted to reassure you that in my life, while my relationship with food was not always acutely in balance, whatever I did to help my recovery, helped in the big picture with food. So while it may be acutely uncomfortable or distressing it does typically improve.

Also just so you know there is a link between some people with weight loss surgery and alcohol addiction. I don't know if you have a support group for your surgery available but it is regularly a topic that may come up.....and from a different angle for your healing.
LifeRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote