Laxative abuse? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2017, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Samantha

Laxative abuse?

Has anyone had experience with long term lax abuse? Itís been about 15 years for me. On and off.
Lately itís been every day. Never more than about 15mg but I know itís going to catch up to me.
Any thoughts?
anxiousrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Forgive me, but what is lax abuse?
Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Samantha

Laxative abuse.
Sorry, Iím bad for shortening things. I take too many laxatives.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I abused laxatives for years which is partly to blame for the gastric & elimination troubles I have now. I was an overeater then a bulimic and then back to just overeating. Oh, what I did to my body!

I'm 60 now and I probably started using laxatives in my 20's; my early 30's for sure. I was in the Army and had to "make weight" on a monthly basis. Binge/starve with laxative abuse was how I did it plus exercise.

I don't know the year that I quit the harsh laxatives, late 1990's, maybe. But without them, I had trouble going. It took awhile for my body to adjust--physically and mentally. Believe me, my stomach ruled my life for years!

Thankfully I gave Overeaters Anonymous one more try in Nov 2005 and have been 'food sober' since then. I have to do a lot to stay regular. I accept the consequences of the damage I did.

I have to eat 4 prunes upon awakening with a mug of very hot water, drink water throughout the day, take an RX called Linzess daily and a shy tablespoon of pysillium also daily. And a half dose of Miralax in my first cup of coffee. And that routine, folks, keeps me regular. Too much information?

If travelling or I get busy with something and I can't adhere to the above regimen, then I take a Senna tablet but get back to the routine as soon as possible.

For your health and peace of mind, I hope you can wean yourself off of them. And if you have medical insurance, ask if you can see a Registered Dietician. I did and she was helpful.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Anarock-

I have not struggled with this personally, but it is typically considered one of the ways that eating disorders present.

Any other eating stuff too? What kind of support do you have in place?

Ringo the University of Iowa has some cool retraining of the bowel stuff coming out.....stuff with biofeedback.

Best of luck to you both.
LifeRecovery is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LifeRecovery For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Samantha

Yes Iíve always had issues.
Fasting/binging/purging/over exercise.
Diagnosed a few years ago. Trying hard not to give in again to really bad behaviour but usually every 5 years or so I go the restrict food/over exercise route.
The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousrock For This Useful Post:
Ringo123 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

So right now the laxatives are a piece of the bigger picture it sounds like?

Do you have any support in place for you around this?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Samantha

It is and I feel like itís the worst issue I have at the moment since itís going to really screw up my insides.
I have a really hard time talking to my doctor or any counsellor about this and I find I have lied about it in the past.
Does anyone have any advice? Not sure what to do or how to start recovery.
Thanks.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
It is and I feel like itís the worst issue I have at the moment since itís going to really screw up my insides.
I have a really hard time talking to my doctor or any counsellor about this and I find I have lied about it in the past.
Does anyone have any advice? Not sure what to do or how to start recovery.
Thanks.
Ana-

Just so you know I lied so much about my eating stuff! So much. That is part of the addiction for me....trying to keep it secret made it more shameful. I am not trying to say it was easy to start to talk about it but when I did is when I started to get better.

I don't have any smart info to give you about laxatives. The behaviors of all kinds that come with eating disorders are damaging to our physical, emotional and mental beings.

I am unclear from your last share. Are you seeing a counselor now but have a hard time sharing or was that something in the past?

Are you struggling with any other addictions and getting support for those?
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Samantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeRecovery View Post
Ana-

Just so you know I lied so much about my eating stuff! So much. That is part of the addiction for me....trying to keep it secret made it more shameful. I am not trying to say it was easy to start to talk about it but when I did is when I started to get better.

I don't have any smart info to give you about laxatives. The behaviors of all kinds that come with eating disorders are damaging to our physical, emotional and mental beings.

I am unclear from your last share. Are you seeing a counselor now but have a hard time sharing or was that something in the past?

Are you struggling with any other addictions and getting support for those?
I was talking to a counsellor but my time is up as I can only get short term with my work benefits.
Also it was more for alcoholism.
I have a hard time being honest about how bad things really are.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarock View Post
I was talking to a counsellor but my time is up as I can only get short term with my work benefits.
Also it was more for alcoholism.
I have a hard time being honest about how bad things really are.
That was part of my challenge too, the being honest part about my reality I mean.

Learning how to be honest to myself and speaking my truth was what my recovery was.....

I say that not to make you feel alone or afraid but to know that it is pretty normal to struggle with this.

Any long-term counseling options? Any meeting options (for alcohol or eating....or anything).

At least a third of people who struggle with food stuff struggle with another addiction.

I am afraid for your well being. Not because of the laxative use, but because it sounds like your support is in a tough place right now.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Anxious rock - I have done this a little bit in the past but my sister who was severely anorexic used to take a whole packet of about 30 a day.

They told her she would end up with a bag if she didn't stop. They are awful things and they don't actually help you loose or control your weight.

Try to knock it on the head before you do lasting damage. Phase them out.
Ellie May 1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Samantha

I wrote this post over 2 years ago and Iím even worse off now. I think I have kidney damage from laxatives and alcohol.
The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousrock For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

Go see your doctor and be honest.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
suki44883 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I'm so sorry you're still struggling, Anxiousrock. Perhaps you can write down exactly what's going on and hand the note to the doctor? Would that make it easier for you? I know it's hard, but there will come a point when the laxative abuse will catch up with you. The doctor will know without you saying a word.

Admitting your addiction is the first step. It's time for the next step, please get yourself some help. You deserve some peace of mind.
Opivotal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Anxiousrock

I am so sorry it is still challenging and a struggle.

What kind of support do you have in place for yourself?