Dieting support (swapped addictions with food) - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Eating Disorders
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2017, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Dieting support (swapped addictions with food)

Hi all. I have made this thread as I have been suffering with depression since I came out of rehab. I'm not interested in sex, excersize, and have put on 10kgs or more from scoffing my face full of carbs, sweets, chocolate and fast food. SOMETHING I HAVENT DONE SINCE I WAS FULL BLOWN BULIMIC IN 2012. I spewed yesterday for the first time since last June and new it was time to do something about my food addiction. I have been sober from alcohol & pain killers since 15th February and sadly swapped addictions for food. I have tried dieting and failed miserably!!! I couldnt get full or stop eating so I sourced xenical dieting tablets from the chemist. I am also getting duramine to curb my hunger. I would like all the support I can get and anyone who is trying to loose weight to join me and support each other x
kahlia01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kahlia01 For This Useful Post:
Peacehappyness (07-04-2017), PhoenixJ (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 02:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Dear kahlia,

First, congratulations on getting sober 15 Feb. After quitting the booze, it didn't take me long to return to my first love--food. Some folks on SR might tell you to concentrate on getting sober, that the food will straighten out after awhile. Which very well may be true.

I recovered from one addiction/compulsion at a time. First, it was alcohol followed by married men and much later, with God's grace, freedom from bulimia (Jan 1, 2002) and then not until 28 Nov 2005 did I give up sugar and bingeing.

The booze was killing me the fastest so thankfully that was the first to recover from. I kidded myself for years about the food--it wasn't like I was obese. I must have gained and lost the same 10 pounds many, many times. I have some loose skin because of it. No amount of weight lifting, not even liposuction (which I've done) has gotten rid of it.

It's not my place to tell you what to do; anyone on SR or in Program knows that. The pills to help you diet are concerning to me since you are in very early recovery from pain killers. You're taking pills to force weight loss when healthy eating and moderate exercise will do the job.

If you would like to continue messaging each other, I'll hang in there with you. Please get to a meeting. Do you have a sponsor yet? Or at least a woman you can talk to in person? That is so important if it is possible.

And as soon you can, develop a Higher Power you can rely on. I'm not talking religion; rather, a power greater than yourself. For starters, anything or anyone other than You will do (smile).

I don't stay glued to a computer but will check back from time to time, ok? Take good care of yourself, you are worth it.
LifeRecovery (05-01-2017), Peacehappyness (07-07-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you

I'm so glad it's not just me. I understand your worry about the pills and not looking forward to telling my support worker. Unfortunately I have no willpower what so ever so can't get motivated to exercise nothing. I am going to watch the pills and fortunately my mum gets the scripts for me and my partner is aware so they know me the best and can monitor me. Im getting the internet today so I will have plenty of series to catch up on. Yesterday I ate so healthy but the bag of pumpkin seeds killed it. I had steak and salad for lunch, fish and Brussel sprouts for dinner and snacked on frozen grapes tea cordial and pumpkin seeds but they Are very fattening.

What's your idea of a higher power. Please give me an example of when you would use it.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Kahlia,

My HP is God and I "use Him' everyday! I ask him for help in the morning and say thank you at night. There's been times I've gone to the restroom at work to say the Serenity Prayer--just to calm down and prevent me from saying something that I would regret.

My HP loves me like no one else can, not even my husband. I had to develop a HP that would love me unconditionally and forgive me countless times because I came to program so broken, feeling like I was useless, hopeless and my life had no meaning. I was just existing, breathing, going to work until I got old and died.

Thankfully because of sobriety (both alcohol and food), working the steps and having a close relationship with a God of my understanding, my life has meaning today.

Your food yesterday wasn't that out of control. Sounds like you're trying to eat sensible meals. Be gentle with yourself about the snacking. If you have to snack, at least for now, make it as healthy a choice as you can. Pumpkin seeds are a lot better choice than chips and candy! Feel good about that.

I don't snack but it took many tries with many failures to make it a solid habit and routine.

I'm leaving today for an OA retreat this weekend so you might not hear from me regularly for 2-3 days. They have Wi-Fi at the retreat center so I hope to have some down time and will say hello to you.

This is just me, ok, but in the morning and at night I pray on my knees at my bedside. HP does not require it. I do it to remind me of my dependence on him, to practice humility, and the position itself helps put my mind in a prayerful attitude.

Good luck this weekend, reach out to others, and be kind to yourself.
Berrybean (07-15-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi guys
I'm really struggling with food too.x
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Not very experienced with this but since getting sober, I noticed how much eating helps with my cravings and I definitely eat too much chocolate, cake and biscuits. I don't put on weight but I don't like to eat that much sugar.

So when I eat, just to keep busy while watching TV in the evening (when I would've had wine) I make big bowls of salad. I make a low fat vinaigrette so no extra calories or sugar coming from the dressing. I like it because it keeps you busy, it's good for you and fills your stomach. Besides lettuce I recommend putting in lots of raw vegetables like carrots, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, beet root, radish or whatever you like. I also add some nuts cause they are rich in good fats but if you don't want the extra calories, leave them out.
kevlarsjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I went low carb, Keto lifestyle. This coupled with exercise, lot of water and tea in the evenings has worked for me. Congrats on getting sober!!!!
gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. My hp is god. I pray that I'll loose weight and stay sober and be happy and know he will sort the rest out and it will happen just like he found those pills. I can't believe in 26 years I hadn't heard a word about them and now I know the ins and outs lol. Life sober is great but I still hate the fights I have with my partner as there a massive trigger but they now last 10 minutes not days lol. So yesterday day 2
Fish and salad for lunch
Snacks tea, coffee, Diet Coke, celery and light hummus, 47 calorie soup, apple
Dinner chicken no skin and then we went to the movies and stopped for sushi so my calories exploded. I'm annoyed cause every day apart from pumpkin seeds Day 1 and sushi day 2 I sat under 1200 calories with 30% fat intake. I use my fitness pal ITS EXCELLENT!!!! if you download the app add me kahlia lawrence.
I woke up with the flu so have a feeling that it might mean tea and honey and bed no snacks lol. Day 3 today. I weighed myself yesterday and was 60.4 when I was almost sure I'd be 65kgs. I'm very short and suffering with bulimia for 13 years I have an extremely distorted body image but thank god I know my healthy weight and do see I look yucky my bulimic weight which I haven't been since I started recovery 2012 xxx
Old 04-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #9 (permalink)

Day 3 complete
We had a Korean hotpot for lunch but I had no carbs just the sauces and meat were oily. That set me back 500 calories when I'd usually do 250 for lunch so equalling out at 1500 with only bad foods my cough lollies and lunch I did good. 200 calories were from the handful of pistachios I had. It's great as every day I'm learning more about myself and my eating habits. Dinner with mum tomorrow so I'll have to be careful at lunch but shouldn't be a problem as have a really bad flu
Old 04-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

so not medicate for dieting. Even supermarket stuff can do damage. I strongly suggest you see a doc- or a dietician. Empathy and support. Careful not to loose hope and relapse.
PhoenixJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Day 4 I had a binge day but snacked on cold meats and chewing gum so pretty healthy and I stayed lower than 30% fat. I had a beautiful kangaroo salad for lunch and rice paper rolls for dinner without noodles. Day 5 not noticing weight loss yet but feel better with my eating
Old 04-30-2017, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Too much cheesecake yesterday and last night. 😣
Just can't face real food .
X
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Oh petals. Can you try lollipops? There my go to lifesaver. Last a while and keep your mouth occupied. I just busted my calories from eating a T-bone steak. I'm full which is good but takes 600 calories to get full grr. I can't wait for duromine so I can shrink my stomach. Lost 1kg, was hoping for more but can't be greedy. Just scared I won't loose all my weight.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)

Bad night. I'm having a really hard time tonight cause my partner is really drunk after hearing the words out of his mouth today " the doctor said drinking does more damage than smoking cause of my heart attack" he promised me he wouldn't get drunk and I let it slide when we went on holidays but can't help but feel like it's my fault for an unknown reason and it really depresses me. I've spent my night binge eating my feelings away & was especially hard with an x texting out of the blue. No threat but it did cause an argument that took all the self esteem out of me and bulimic thoughts popping up so now In bed
Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ps: in my past diets when I wasn't bulimic I just drank & didn't eat or took pain killers & smoked & didn't eat & was always running off nervous energy. Now I go to bed as it gets all a bit too much
Old 05-01-2017, 09:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Aw Kahlia you take care.
So far today all I've eaten is 3 cups of tea with 3 sugars in each 😐
And a small tub of choccy ice cream.. . Even though I'm intolerant to lactose🙄
Oh and 1 crispbread with a slice of cheese.
X
Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yesterday I managed to fight off the urge of pumpkin seeds but still over ate 😟
Old 05-02-2017, 11:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

1/3 banana
Bowl of porridge
1 satsuma
Handful of chips (fries)
Small amount of Easter egg
3 cups of sugared tea
Old 05-03-2017, 12:09 AM   #19 (permalink)

Even though it's only half healthy at least your not over eating. If anything your undereating and getting your energy from the sugar. I start duramine tomorrow cause I can't stop binge eating. Here with pumpkin seeds and my tounge & lips hurt from salt
Old 05-03-2017, 02:19 AM   #20 (permalink)

Well I had some chocolate ice cream but also had my xenical so it will be interesting to see if they even work or are just overly expensive for nothing. I know a weeks not enough time to give them but seeing people's comments on the internet gave me hope & let me down.