SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Content News (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/content-news/)
-   -   1st Issue of the SR Newsletter Sending This Week! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/content-news/368167-1st-issue-sr-newsletter-sending-week.html)

emily430 05-26-2015 11:57 AM

1st Issue of the SR Newsletter Sending This Week!

Hello!

Just a heads up that the content team will be sending out the first issue of the Sober Recovery Monthly Newsletter sometime this week. They're going to send it in batches to make sure it gets sent properly, so people may receive it at different times. All of the active members of the forum will receive the newsletter at the email address they used to register with SR, but if you don't want to continue to receive the newsletter all you have to do is click "Unsubscribe" and you'll be permanently taken off the list.

We hope you like the new articles and info we've included. Feedback is welcome! :)

Thanks!

least 05-26-2015 12:53 PM

I'll get it even tho I didn't subscribe to it?

emily430 05-26-2015 04:45 PM

The management decided to send the newsletter to all current members since it's brand new and many may not have heard about it. If you don't want it, feel free to unsubscribe. Going forward, people can subscribe using the widget in the right column.

Thanks!

Lenina 05-26-2015 04:55 PM

frankly, I this is mass, unasked for mailing about addiction and recovery is not q very good idea. Many folks may feel it's q violation of the their confidentiality,

I would counsel and suggest SR send out a neutral offer for the newsletter unless it create problems for the receiver.

Seriously a good intention but a bad idea. .

awuh1 05-26-2015 05:15 PM

I agree. A very bad idea. How about asking the membership before things like this are decided?

emily430 05-26-2015 05:36 PM

Hello!

Thanks for your concerns. We do feel that the benefits of sharing about the new newsletter outweigh potential issues, since members do get to choose which email they use to register with us and part of registration includes opting into receiving emails from SR.

The good news is that they can opt out if they don't want to continue to receive newsletter emails from us--it's just one click, and no questions asked! :) That said, we hope that most of you will find the newsletter helpful, entertaining, inspirational, or all three--and we're very open to feedback to help the newsletter reflect the kind of content you want to see.

Thanks!

awuh1 05-26-2015 05:50 PM

The trouble is that some folks have others who eventually gain access to their email accounts for any number of reasons. In addition people are often less than "with it" when they first register with SR.

Alcoholism and drug use still have a stigma in society. Perhaps those who administer SR don't have so much of a concern about this. Why don't you want input from the membership?

Carlotta 05-26-2015 05:54 PM

I don't know if you are aware of it Emily but there are members here (mainly on the F&F forum but also on the alcoholism side) who are dealing with DV and controlling spouses who might also have some access to their email addresses.
Knowing their partner are members of such a site might trigger some abuse or at least some very unpleasant scene.
Anyway, it looks like you already made up your mind

We do feel that the benefits of sharing about the new newsletter outweigh potential issues,
Let's just hope no one gets a black eye or worst over it and no I am not being over dramatic. I am a DV survivor myself and I know it does not take much to set off an abuser.

biminiblue 05-26-2015 05:55 PM

So if we opted for "No Emails" at our first registration, we won't get it? Not that I really care one way or the other, but just to clarify your statements.

I can see how some would be rightfully upset, though.

Dee74 05-26-2015 05:57 PM

You can opt out of emails anytime

UserCP>edit options> untick receive emails from Admin and emails from other members.

I presume if you do this it means you won't get the newsletter, Emily?

PMs will not be affected :)

D

chicory 05-26-2015 06:00 PM

How do we unsubscribe? I do not want this sent to my email, not even once.

thank you.

chicory 05-26-2015 06:20 PM

Thank you Dee.

Lenina 05-26-2015 06:21 PM

I wish to opt out of any email from SR, especially advertising. I studied my User Control Panel to see if there was a way to opt and can't find it. Please do not send this "newsletter". I understand the perceived marketing value but I hope an understanding of the possible damage that can be done, especially to the family and friends who may be seeking help from domestic violence situations.

Why not put an Opt In or Sign Up for the newsletter? It could be placed on the side bar with the other ads.

SR has been a safe haven for so many. please reconsider this mass mailing.

Lenina

Carlotta 05-26-2015 06:26 PM

Why not put an Opt In or Sign Up for the newsletter? It could be placed on the side bar with the other ads.
That's a great idea.

Lenina 05-26-2015 06:28 PM

OK, I think I figured it out.

Let's keep bumping this thread to the top so those of us who check "new posts" will be sure to see it. It might be a good idea to post it on the Friends and Family sections so they aren't blindsided by the newsletter.

Please realize there are vulnerable people on here which is why they come to SR. Please don't compromise their sense of safety and confidentially.

least 05-26-2015 06:33 PM

There's already a 'sign up' for the newsletter on the right side, under the featured articles. However, I didn't sign up to get it so kind of resent it being sent anyway. :( If we do as Dee said, will we not get the newsletter?

chicory 05-26-2015 06:47 PM

I don't really understand why they would send it to people who are already members, anyway. We can look at the articles anytime, on SR.

Venecia 05-26-2015 07:22 PM

Looking forward to the newsletter. Thanks, Emily.

Chrissy2014 05-26-2015 07:23 PM

I do not wish to receive this. Please remove me from your distribution list,.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery

least 05-26-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Chrissy2014 (Post 5391792)
I do not wish to receive this. Please remove me from your distribution list,.

Sent from my iPad using SoberRecovery

UserCP>edit options> untick receive emails from Admin and emails from other members.

I presume if you do this it means you won't get the newsletter, Emily?
try this :)