Corona Virus and Addictive Thinking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2020, 07:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Corona Virus and Addictive Thinking

Corona Virus and Addictive Thinking

We are living in somewhat, “Helpless,” times. Have you been to the store lately? Panic buying of toilet paper and frenzied shopping is but another way to attempt to regain control of a seemingly helpless situation. The logical mind tells us, “No, I don’t need to buy another roll of toilet paper.” But the emotional brain says, “Well, I better be safe than sorry.“

On a personal note, if this feeling of helplessness became overwhelming and intolerable for me and I chose to regain control of my helpless feelings with a temporary quick fix or mood changer of drugs or alcohol, that would be a displaced behavior. If this was my compulsive go to behavior (repeat) it would be called an addiction. That’s not what I am doing. I value my health and am empowering myself and regaining control by practicing good hygiene and social distancing. This is a direct behavior. Christ Driven Behavior (CDB) is the ultimate direct behavior that honors God.

Philippians 4:6–7: “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus” (NKJV).

Apply this truth and turn your worries into prayers and your prayers into direct behaviors that honor God.

When your values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.

Our thinking determines our feelings and our feelings determine our actions.
When good values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
CRRHCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CRRHCC For This Useful Post:
2ndhandrose (03-26-2020), Anaya (04-01-2020), Astro (03-27-2020), Liebe (03-30-2020), Sober369 (03-29-2020), toad (03-27-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have been doing alright up until today.
Reading your post helped me. Reminding me to look to Christ Driven Behavior- I needed to read that today.
I had attended an AA Zoom meeting this morning, and I don't like to say this- but it got me completely off track in my thinking and my anxiety went through the roof.
Im glad I came here this afternoon.
Liebe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liebe For This Useful Post:
Anaya (04-01-2020), Astro (03-31-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 02:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

CRRHCC: I also was encouraged by what you posted.

As long as I let go and let God, I am in a better place.

Keeping away from the sensationalism by the media (a moneymaker for them, not so good for anxious folks to get caught up in) is also a good move for me. Though, my boss thinks I will be in peril if I do not obsessively follow the news, lol. ( I'm hoping my two decades on her has me in a little wiser and more informed state of mind. Who knows?)
Astro (04-02-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Now is the time to re-evaluate our values in life, what is important to us.

Recognize your feelings or emotions. Don’t become them. Emotions are temporary, so is Covid.
Reframe the pros and cons of our social dilemma. Yes, this is terrible, but we can find some good in that we have time to consider what is really important in life. Faith, Family and Friends. Optimize your time.
Replace our displaced helpless feelings (like toilet paper hoarding) and other behavior with high value behaviors that empower us in regaining control over our emotions. Wash our hands, social distance, tell others you love them and miss them. Exercise, listen to music, pray, read the Bible, spend quality time where you can. Make a list of things you can do that you can control and execute them. Empower yourself, regain control by doing whatever is important to you (high value) that will help you escape feeling overwhelmed, helpless, trapped, powerless and out of control.

Our thinking determines our feelings and our feelings determine our actions.
When good values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
CRRHCC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CRRHCC For This Useful Post:
Astro (Yesterday)