The Bible and birds. - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2020, 06:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

The Bible and birds.

“I’ve got sunshine, on a cloudy day.”
(William “Smokey” Robinson)

“For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us.” (2 Corinthians 1:20 KJV)

Today as I look out my window at the bird feeders I see hundreds of birds. Possibly thousands, I have no way of counting them. My granny started feeding the birds outside this window years ago. How many years ago, I don’t know. Somewhere between fifty to eighty years ago the birds were being fed here in the same spot by my granny. As a kid in the 1950’s I remember birdhouses sitting on post all around the farmhouse. Some are still there and have been used by generations upon generations of birds. Out by the shop on a post there is an antique Krispy Saltine Cracker can that the birds have nested in ever since crackers came in cans. Feeding the birds here is a family tradition, and since my granny has been gone, I have tried to carry it on. The bird populations have changed over the years though. Today I still have the cardinals, blue jays, sparrows, finches, chickadees, juncos, doves, tufted titmouse, brown-headed cowbirds, and various woodpeckers. What are new are the starlings and the black birds. Hundreds upon hundreds of them seem to find their way to my feeders when the weather is cold and snowy. I think they have flourished because of the number of cattle that are raised in the area. Many acres have been cleared over the years to produce pastures for cattle, where as fifty years ago there was much more timber for the songbirds. Some people don’t want the black birds at their feeders, but I feel that as long as God gives me the resources to feed birds, they are welcome. In the winter it is not unusual to use over one hundred pounds of seed a month for the birds. It is one of God’s promises that the birds will be fed, share this with me, “Behold the fowls of the air for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them” (Matthew 6:26). The Father feeds them and it is my pleasure to and honor to do the labor involved. Such a small task indeed. As Matthew recorded the words of Jesus, He went on to say that that same promise will apply to my life also. Share this we me, “Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you” (Matthew 6:33). Now there’s a promise I don’t want to miss out on. It has been tried and tested in my life today and I have found it to be true. “But my god shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19). God is doing for me what I could not do for myself…………..Toad

“All God’s promises are yes and so be it, or yes and truth. In Him they are always yes, and in Him they are always truthful. Not one promise of God is no to the one who will believe and meet the conditions.” (The Dake Bible, page 192)

“Are these extravagant promises? We think not. They are being fulfilled among us, sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly. They will always materialize if we work for them.” (Alcoholics Anonymous, page 84)

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
2ndhandrose (01-31-2020), aasharon90 (01-31-2020), Astro (01-31-2020), Spacegoat (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
My wife would be thrilled to read this toad. We have a small backyard but she has at least a dozen seed and hummingbird feeders hung about, and the water feature on our pool gives the birds a place to bathe and cool off in the searing heat of summer. Every day when she arrives home she takes a scoop of seed and scatters it over our small front lawn. Sometimes I joke with her that I'm going to start quail hunting out there

My older brother has been a wildlife rescue volunteer for many years and specializes in birds, mainly ducks and other waterfowl.

Thank you for another reminder that no, this is not an experience I would want to miss.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
2ndhandrose (01-31-2020), aasharon90 (01-31-2020), Spacegoat (01-31-2020), toad (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 08:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you toad for a wonderful inspiring read this
morning as I too love Our Lord and all the birds
He has given to us to enjoy on a daily bases.

We went out a few days ago with a little list of items
needed for the day and days ahead of us. On that
list was suet and white safflower seeds for my fine
feather friends.

I decided to leave off a few other personal items
just so I could take care of my birds first.

A few days prior to getting the suet and safflower
seeds, I saw that I was getting low on seeds and knew
id need to get some soon. So when out that day, we
spotted large bags of mixed seeds on sale at Home
Depot. A sale that caused us to stop and ponder if
we really want those or stick to what I have been using.

Yrs ago, we use to ride to our Tractor Supply for a
big economy size bag of either sunflower seeds or
the mixed kind. Eventually we stopped after our
feeders were being raided by squirrels emptying
them pretty quickly.

Since then, ive been using just the safflower seeds
for the Cardinals, Suet for the Woodpeckers, Blue
Jays and other various large birds. Then mealworms
for close to house under the eve for my little Wrens
and smaller birds.

Hummingbirds get their nectar during the Summer
months but feeders have to be brought inside at night
due to Racoons draining the feeders to quench their
thirst.

Anyway....I try to do my part to the best of my ability
to care for Gods little creations we so enjoy on a daily
bases.

SHARON B.
Baton Rouge, La.
8-11-90

I turn my will and life over to the care of a Power greater than I on a daily basis for guidance, care and protection.
aasharon90 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aasharon90 For This Useful Post:
Astro (02-01-2020), Spacegoat (01-31-2020), toad (01-31-2020)