I quit drinking for now myself. I decided it wasn't for me anymore for the most part. - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2020, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

I quit drinking for now myself. I decided it wasn't for me anymore for the most part.

Here are some Holy Bible quotes. Maybe you have seen these before or maybe you haven't. This is for anyone that wants to check out some Holy Bible quotes in the realm of drinking alone. I quit drinking to prevent it from becoming a problem in my life.

I'm at 53 days myself and trying to push it for as long as possible.

Matthew 6:24 "No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

1 Peter 5:8 8Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Romans 13:13-14 13Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. 14Rather, clothe yourselves with the LORD Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the flesh.

Ephesians 5:18 ESV
And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit,

1 Peter 4:7 ESV
The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.

Titus 2:1-8 ESV
But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. ...

Proverbs 20:1 ESV
Wine is a mocker, strong drink a brawler, and whoever is led astray by it is not wise.

1 Corinthians 3:16-17 ESV
Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

1 Corinthians 6:10 ESV
Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 15:33 ESV
Do not be deceived: “Bad company ruins good morals.”

2 Timothy 4:5 5But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry.

Galatians 5:21 ESV
Envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 Corinthians 10:13 ESV
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

Some Holy Bible Quotes for now.
Mathematics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Anaya (01-29-2020), Astro (01-08-2020), CRRHCC (01-08-2020), toad (01-09-2020), ZetaP38 (02-28-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Hi and welcome to the forum Mathematics

Those are pretty strong quotes against alcohol and I know them well.

There seems to be a little wiggle room in your post tho?

Do you think the Biblical quotes fit 'quit drinking... for now' or 'not for me, for the most part'?

Why not make a clear statement against alcohol - for good?

D
Old 01-08-2020, 07:39 AM   #3 (permalink)

Psychiatrist, Gerald May, MD in his book, " Addiction and Grace," states: "The same processes that are responsible for addiction to alcohol and narcotics, are also responsible for addiction to ideas, work relationships, power, moods, fantasies and an endless variety of other things. Addictions also make us idolaters, because it forces us to worship objects of attachment, thereby preventing us from truly freely loving God and one another." Indeed, addictive behavior is, in effect, making your values and purpose in life, worshiping idols or objects of attachment. The psalmist asks, “How long will you love delusions and seek false gods?” (Psalm 4:2). It's no coincidence that the first commandment is not to worship false idols. The greatest evil of addiction is that it separates the addict from God. Exodus 20:3

On a personal note, I don't think you have to believe in God to see the detriment in making your value and purpose in life, "getting drunk."

Our thinking determines our feelings and our feelings determine our actions.
When good values trump your addiction, there is no addiction.
CRRHCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum Mathematics

Those are pretty strong quotes against alcohol and I know them well.

There seems to be a little wiggle room in your post tho?

Do you think the Biblical quotes fit 'quit drinking... for now' or 'not for me, for the most part'?

Why not make a clear statement against alcohol - for good?

D
The goal is to quit drinking for as long as I can. I got 50 days, but I don't know if I can do 50 years.

Knowing people fail to do so when it comes to this type of stuff is why I'm hesitant. I know I could easily be setting myself up for failure.

Plus I wasn't in any legal trouble or anything like that myself. I just decided to quit on a whim more or so myself. There's less of a reason for me to quit long term due to this alone is how I feel myself. There's nothing forcing me to stay sober. I do have my reasons though to quit long term.

I feel like I'm in uncharted area. I'm taking a precautionary measure to quit drinking before anything happens. I'm at that point that I want to quit for as long as possible. I don't think I can go 50 years straight, but I don't want to drink in the long run and I do want to quit.

I don't want to lie to anybody because 50 years is a really long time to go (I'd be around age 80). I do want to quit though. Trying to go as long as possible if not permanently. 50 years is a really long time to quit since I'm young still myself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-09-2020), toad (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 01:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I drank all day everyday....

I didn't know if I could quit a day let alone a week or a year....yet here I am nearly 13 years in

While I probably won't live another 37 years (eep!) I know I'll be sober when I die.

How? by my own efforts and Gods grace, I changed.

If God can do that for me I'm sure he can do that for you too Mathematics

D
Old 01-09-2020, 05:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm coming up on 15 Mathematics, and while another 35 would put me at the age of 90, I guess that's not impossible, and honestly anymore it's not about the amount of years. There may be days I think about drinking, but it's lost its charm and allure, there's nothing good for me anymore if I pick up a drink. What's replaced the drinking is a zest and love for life that I never want to lose, but I know that drinking again isn't what God had in mind for me after blessing me with the gift of sobriety.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (01-09-2020), toad (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 05:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
The goal is to quit drinking for as long as I can. I got 50 days, but I don't know if I can do 50 years. .
I quit forever several times in my life....I quit for just as long as I could many time also....I tried different ways to get sober for 25 years, it wasn't until I decided just to not drink today that I was able to add up weeks, months and years...for me the key is to not drink today, One day at a time.

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (01-09-2020), Astro (01-10-2020), Mathematics (02-22-2020), Sobertoday54 (01-09-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 09:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm reading a lot of "ifs" and uncertainty in what you shared in
your post that it allowed me to pause for a moment and remember
that I too had thoughts like that while still in my own addiction
yrs. ago and before I entered recovery.

I tried like so many to stop drinking for good but to
no avail, I returned to the drink a many times. Always
feeling like a failure....UNTIL

I entered recovery and began to learn about addiction
and it's affects on my own mind, body and soul and the
gift of a recovery program taught to me to incorporate
in my everyday life one day at a time moving forward.

It wasn't until I accepted that I was an alcoholic
and that I had an addiction to alcohol and needed
help, that I became willing, openminded and
honest to recieve this help.

I could have NO reservations, NO if or buts, that
I could ever drink alcohol without the consequences
that would and did follow it.

Surrendering to my addiction and wanting and
needing help has strengthened me to continue
on living a successful sober life for a many one
days sober now.

It's a gift that this alcoholic in recovery doesn't
take for granted or lightly as I continue on my
journey in life passing on the knowledge that
has been so freely passed on to me through out
the yrs to others who also seek a recovery life
like I have.

Sending support, care and understanding your way.

SHARON B.
Baton Rouge, La.
8-11-90

I turn my will and life over to the care of a Power greater than I on a daily basis for guidance, care and protection.
aasharon90 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aasharon90 For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-10-2020), toad (01-09-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I drank all day everyday....

I didn't know if I could quit a day let alone a week or a year....yet here I am nearly 13 years in

While I probably won't live another 37 years (eep!) I know I'll be sober when I die.

How? by my own efforts and Gods grace, I changed.

If God can do that for me I'm sure he can do that for you too Mathematics

D
I've doubled it at least for now. 99 days today and 100 tomorrow.

50 days --> 100 days

Easier to go this way for now or keep going this way I guess. What I figure for now at least is to just keep going.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Astro (02-23-2020), Dee74 (02-22-2020), toad (02-24-2020)
Old 02-22-2020, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I quit forever several times in my life....I quit for just as long as I could many time also....I tried different ways to get sober for 25 years, it wasn't until I decided just to not drink today that I was able to add up weeks, months and years...for me the key is to not drink today, One day at a time.
What I kind of do myself. I tell myself I can't drink anymore (it's hard to get past in the mind though at times).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathematics For This Useful Post:
Astro (02-23-2020), Dee74 (02-22-2020), toad (02-24-2020)