Lowering your sights - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lowering your sights

“Life is a promise, fulfill it.”
MOTHER TERESA

“For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for me with all your heart.”
JEREMIAH 29:11-13 NKJV

How could Mother Teresa say that life is a promise? From her eyes life must have looked totally different than what we of the Western cultures see and think. She spent her whole life living in the ancient civilizations of India, helping the multitudes of poor and starving. How could you watch someone die of starvation, which was beyond their ability to help themselves, and call life a promise? Only by Divine revelation could she see this as true. “Life is a promise” did not come from this world but from beyond human suffering. What love she expresses in this simple statement. Mother Teresa must have seen many die, and also she no doubt saw many who had God work a miracle in their life. She must have seen their eyes brighten when they got it down deep inside that God is for them and not against them. When they received the inner image of prosperity regardless of how life looked on the outside. Then the realization of the promises of God allowed them to rise above their bleak situations and to see the way to a better life. Sometimes before lives can change we need someone to come along side and help us to look up. To help others to look up, we ourselves need at times to lower our sights. Even in the small rural community that I live in I notice many; myself included who have their sights aimed just a little above the suffering of others. If Mother Teresa could have come to my town, she probably would have been found at the Love Center where they pass out free food and clothes. She probably would have gone to the square where the unemployed and the disabled gather daily. She might have even been found at an AA meeting where she could help explain “Life is a Promise.” Today many of the promises of God have come true in my life, but first I had to set my sights above my circumstances. As we walk with God, looking ahead down the road improves our vision. God is still doing for me what I could not do for myself……………….Toad

“You can measure what you would do for the Lord by what you do.”
T. C. HORTON

“As we made spiritual progress, it became clear that, if we ever were to feel emotionally secure, we would have to put our lives on a give-and-take basis; we would have to develop the sense of being in partnership or brotherhood with all those around us. We saw that we would need to give constantly of ourselves without demand for repayment. When we persistently did this, we gradually found that people were attracted to us as never before. And even if they failed us, we could be understanding and not too seriously affected.”
BILL W. ……………………A.A. Twelve and Twelve, pages 115-116

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (09-11-2019), Astro (09-11-2019)