My Fortress - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 05:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Fortress

“The steps of faith fall on the seeming void and find rock beneath.”
JOHN GREENLEAF WHITTIER

“There is no one holy like the LORD, indeed there is no one besides You, nor is there any rock like our God.” 1 SAMUEL 2:2 NASB

The Rock of Ages. Hannah was a woman who had no children and prayed to God to bless her with a child. Her prayer was answered, and she dedicated her son Samuel to the service of the Lord. After she dedicated her son whom she was very grateful for to the Lord, she composed a song and used it as a prayer of gratitude to God. In the song she says “nor is there any rock like our God.” What a solid statement. And this concept of God being the rock beneath our feet continues on thousands of years later. The Hebrew word that Hannah used for rock is “Tsuwr,” and it has a meaning of being a cliff and a refuge. I can see God as being a Fortress in my life, a Fortress built upon a large cliff and keeping me secure from all of my enemies. When I think of cliffs and fortresses I am reminded of the U.S. Army Rangers of WWII when they came against the Germans at Anzio Italy. The Germans were established on the tops of these cliffs and had control of the land and sea. The Rangers climbed the cliffs and penetrated the German strongholds, but only after taking seventy-five percent causalities. The cliff the Germans used could be penetrated, but it was costly and difficult. My God is my fortress and my Rock and cannot be penetrated by my enemies. I stand secure knowing that “I know in whom I have believed, and am persuaded that He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him against that day” (II Timothy 1:12). Today I have a Rock of Ages to stand on.

“The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge; My savior, You save me from violence.” II Samuel 22:2-3 NASB

Several years later King David understood what Hannah meant by the Rock of God being her solid foundation. Thanks for letting me share, God is doing for me what I could not do for myself………………..toad

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
Astro (05-29-2019), Opivotal (05-29-2019)