Atta Boys - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Atta Boys

“Don't sail out farther than you can row back.”
DANISH PROVERB

Let Your work appear to Your servants
And Your majesty to their children.
Let the favor of the LORD our God be upon us;
And confirm for us the works of our hands;
Yes, confirm for us the work of our hands.
PSALM 90:16-17 NASB

Two of my favorite Psalms are the 90th and the 91st. The 90th is the oldest of all the Psalms and is a prayer of Moses. It ends by repeating a thought, “confirm for us the works of our hands.” Moses is asking God to continue to let the favor be upon them and to confirm, some how, that what they are doing is right. God will confirm what we are doing, or the work of our hands, if we open the spiritual ears and eyes of our hearts and look and listen for confirmation. At times in my life I find this confirmation to be the work of the Holy Spirit. I find it to be an awakening spiritually, when I go against my self-centered will and conform to God’s will. There is an instantaneous awareness of knowing that what has happened is good. It’s like as if the Spirit whispers in my ear “atta boy.” I can relate to the opposite also. There are times when I say something, look at something, think something, or do something that I know is not in God’s will, and immediately I find that check in my spiritual heart. A knowing that this is not well with God. When I worked for the county maintaining the rural roads, I remember how we used to joke around about building up “atta boys.” We would strive for confirmation of our good work, this is part of being a good worker and taking pride in a job well done. When we would have some flaw in our work, or possibly not do a job as well as it should have been done, we would say to each other something like, “That’ll cost you about ten atta boys.” The point was to build up an abundance of atta boys to keep the scale tipped to the positive side. I am so thankful that in this Day of Grace, I don’t have to build up atta boys, if I take each day as it comes and try to turn my will and my life over to the care of God, then God will confirm the work of my hands. God will do for me what I could not do for myself……………….toad

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
Astro (01-11-2019), dsmaxis10 (01-15-2019), Kris47 (01-12-2019)