AA or Jesus? - Page 6 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2019, 05:17 AM   #101 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
I'm all in on Jesus Christ and all out of AA for good. I don't think a Christian should be gathering in a circle holding hands to people praying to even a dot on the ceiling. It's just not right!!!
If "God as you understand" runs you out of AA, whiskey might just run your rusty butt back in.....you will always be welcome back to AA.

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (05-31-2019), Astro (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:53 AM   #102 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmaxis10 View Post
I'm all in on Jesus Christ and all out of AA for good. I don't think a Christian should be gathering in a circle holding hands to people praying to even a dot on the ceiling. It's just not right!!!
God brought me there and keeps me there, I'll keep going back and praying in that circle if that's what it takes!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
aasharon90 (05-31-2019), Dee74 (05-31-2019), SoberCAH (06-03-2019), toad (05-31-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 07:38 PM   #103 (permalink)
*Grateful*

I can identify with many of your posts, see, I accepted Christ in 1989 and quit the drugs and alcohol for a season, but I was like a dry drunk, I turned to food, and didn't change until I really looked at the steps.

Even though I had come to saving faith I was still dishonest in many ways, and lived with many resentments. It was like I needed to read the Big Book of AA as a guide to what the word of God was telling me but the Big book emphasized what I needed to learn quickly, if I wanted to stay sober. Open-mindedness and willingness as well as honesty in all my affairs and dealing w/ resentments immediately. I was living as a very self centered fleshy believer and I also wasn't growing through the sanctification processes. I also learned about anonymity which began to spill over into my life about being a trusted friend and not gossiping.

for so many years I just wouldn't embrace the big book of AA because I thought the bible was the only answer and yet I could not stay sober and recovering until I opened it and began to work the steps for myself. (that didn't really happen until a couple of years ago) and I have been reading my one year bible since 2011!

Can someone not only stay sober and recover and be sanctified w/out the big book? Absolutely! But I am such a sloooooow learner, I needed both.

I love what it says on page 93:

your prospect may belong to a religious denomination. His religious education and training may be far superior to yours. In that case he is going to wonder how you can add anything to what he always knows. But he will be curious to learn why his own convictions may have not worked and why yours seem to work so well. he may be an example of the truth that faith alone is insufficient. To be vial faith it must be accompanied by self sacrifice and unselfish constructive action. Let him see that you are not there to instruct him in religion. Admit that he probably knows more about it than you do, but call to his attention the fact that however deep his faith and knowledge, he could not have applied it or he would not drink. Perhaps your story will help him see where he has failed to practice the very precepts he knows so well.

See I have a lot of biblical knowledge but had problems applying it. Heck, I still fall short daily in thought word and deed but I do hear my shepherds voice today and a don't take a drink or drug no matter what. It is much easier to be obedient sober minded that not!
Astro (06-02-2019), toad (06-02-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #104 (permalink)

Thanks Lily......well said

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black

"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
Lily (06-03-2019)