Wisdom - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Christians In Recovery
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
cmc
Community Greeter

Wisdom

Wisdom for the Trials of Life

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Read | James 1:5-8 NASB - But if any of you lacks wisdom let him - Bible Gateway

At first glance, today's passage on wisdom doesn't seem related to the subject of trials, but James is actually continuing His thoughts from the previous three verses. We need wisdom to know how to respond to suffering. This means we should see trials from the Lord's viewpoint and understand His purposes in allowing them in our lives.

If you want to profit from struggles, be sustained in them, and come through with joy and victory, you must be persuaded of the following truths:

1. God is in full control of the timing and intensity of your trial and will not allow it to go beyond His boundaries.

2. He has a specific purpose for your suffering which you may not understand until it is over.

3. This trial will prove to be profitable if you submit to God and trust Him through it.

4. Trying situations are opportunities for faith to prove genuine and grow stronger.

5. When you endure extreme pressure with unexplainable peace and joy, the Lord will demonstrate His sustaining power to a watching world.

6. Your difficulties are used by the Father to produce Christ-like character.

7. God will walk with you through all trials.

8. The Holy Spirit will enable you not only to survive but also to come out a conqueror.

If you believe all these principles, they will shape how you respond to difficulties in your life. This perspective eliminates the negative reactions normally elicited by trials and makes supernatural responses possible. Instead of feeling miserable and hopeless, you'll experience amazing peace and joy.

Copyright 2011 In Touch Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved.

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
cmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cmc For This Useful Post:
BadCompany (09-26-2011), IO Storm (09-21-2011), loveon2legs (09-21-2011), underoath (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
polyaddicted cocanut

I hope so... 1-8, I need em all
underoath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underoath For This Useful Post:
cmc (09-22-2011), IO Storm (09-21-2011)
Old 09-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
IO Storm

So do I, UO...so do we all...

Thanks Midge, this is just what I needed to hear today.
cmc (09-22-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
polyaddicted cocanut

I thought I would add something I read this morning, which kind of relates to what is above.

Yesterday at church we started reading the story of Joseph, and found it ironic that I read the following devotional this morning...

"Waiting for the Lord-
'The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.' (Genesis 40:23) No other model we can think of compares to Joseph. He had so many unbearable tortures heaped on him, and he didn't have any help or hope. In contrast, martyrs for the faith usually suffer for only a short time. But Joseph had to suffer for a long time. You won't find many people who, when abandoned like Joseph, wouldn't complain, become angry, and become impatient. Yes, Joseph had his weak moments too. At times he felt depressed and wanted to complain, cry, and give up.

Joseph's example illustrates the importance of waiting for the Lord. In Psalms we read, 'Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord' (Psalm 27:14). Habbakuk says, 'For the revelation awaits an appointed time; it speaks of the end and will not prove false. Though it linger, wait for it; it will certainly come and will not delay' (Habbakuk 2:3). Isiah encourages us, 'Then you will know that I am the Lord; those who hope in me will not be disappointed' (Isiah 49:23).

But our human weakness tells us, 'It's been too long. I've been waiting for help for five, ten, or twenty years, and there's no end in sight.' But remember that God made these promises to you. He is your friend and father. Because of his grace and mercy, God has promised to take care of you like a father cares for his little child. He is your father, and you are his dear child. Does your sinful nature still tell you that hoping in God is foolish? Don't worry. Continue to wait with all believers. What Christ promises in Matthew 24:13 will come to pass: 'He who stands firm to the end will be saved.'"

-Martin Luther
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underoath For This Useful Post:
cmc (09-26-2011), IO Storm (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
cmc
Community Greeter

Thanks uo...

Joseph's story bring to mind that old adage: 'that when life gives you lemons....make some lemonade.'

As I read your post I was also reminded that although once sold into slavery, in time he became second in command over the nation that had in effect enslaved him.

Here's a nice outline of his life- I haven't read it all myself because I just discovered this site today. Joseph: Bible Character Study | Bible Study Lessons | Free Inductive Study Guide, Topics & Tools

“Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.”
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
cmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmc For This Useful Post:
IO Storm (09-26-2011), underoath (09-26-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
polyaddicted cocanut

Great, I am unfamiliar with Joseph's story but was intrigued by the little we went over in Sunday School. It is inspiring, to say the least. I, just like everyone else I'd assume, have moments where I feel like giving up on God or I feel like nothing is there to help me. But in the passage we read on Sunday, there was much emphasis on "God was with Joseph..." "God was with him"...despite all the horrific things that were happening to him. God hasn't given up on me, or any of us, so why should I give up on him? There are times where I do what is righteous and suffer because of it, and those are times where I get angry with God... Like "I did what was right, why can't you help me?". Sort of like when Joseph refused to "lie with" Potiphar's wife.

I pulled this off the site you linked; "One may argue, why did God not rescue him from his troubles? But God’s plan and purpose are higher than ours. We may see the immediate, but God sees at our future."

Pretty much the story of my life, I try to do what's right and I suffer for it, but it's amazing how you can find encouragement in God's word, isn't it? I truly believe the Bible is one of the ways God communicates with us. And it's amazing how if you're patient God will show you these things. There is a great lesson to be learned.

And I am truly beginning to believe that, through perseverance, those things you mentioned in 1-8 above will in fact ring true.
The Following User Says Thank You to underoath For This Useful Post:
IO Storm (09-26-2011)