For All Dog Lovers ~ Part 3 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2020, 10:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

For All Dog Lovers ~ Part 3

we continue from here

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...rt-2-a-20.html (For All Dog Lovers ~ Part 2)

D
Old 03-18-2020, 10:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Here's my beagirl Billie.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-19-2020), DaisyBelle7 (03-19-2020), Dee74 (03-18-2020), Hevyn (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you, Dee!

Purps, For All Dog, Part 3!!!

... In October 2008 King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia returned Alysheba to his homeland...
Alysheba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alysheba For This Useful Post:
DaisyBelle7 (03-19-2020), Hevyn (03-19-2020), least (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 10:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you, Dee!

Adorable, least! ❤️

It’s hard for me to be active on all my threads because my son is home now. I’m trying to get out here once per day. Hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy!
DaisyBelle7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DaisyBelle7 For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-19-2020), Hevyn (03-19-2020), least (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Good to see you Daisy. Hang in there.
Love and peace to you and your son. ♥♥♥

... In October 2008 King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia returned Alysheba to his homeland...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alysheba For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (03-19-2020), least (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Just got caught up here.

Purps - Thanks for letting us know about Too Cute. Like Aly, I think I've seen most of them - but some are classics & we don't mind a repeat. The narrator does such a good job.

Aly - I love Neo's too. Another lovely large breed is a Leonberger. I have a friend with a Tibetan Mastiff - he looks like a lion.

Least - I was so afraid Chance wouldn't find a home. Bless that young couple for loving him. He doesn't look confused at all - it's like it was meant to be - he'll probably have a far better life.

MrH is determined to go to the shelter tomorrow. They aren't really open - but dogs need walking. I hope they'll be able to open on a limited basis at some point.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-19-2020), least (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't think I've seen a Tibetan Mastiff. I may have, but not in person. They sound gorgeous. I've seen Leonbergers on TV and they are beautiful too. They seem like they have nice temperaments too. I have heard the Tibetan dogs are a little more independent thinkers, to put it nicely. Lol. Probably quite smart. My mom had a friend with a Tibetan Terrier and I'm racking my brain to think if I've seen the Mastiff. I'll have to look them up!
So glad to have you back, Hevyn. ♥♥♥

Hevyn (03-20-2020), least (03-19-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Hev, I was worried too, as people usually don't want to adopt the senior dogs. But he's at home now, and a far better home than he was used to.

I don't know if the couple who adopted him have kids or not. But I am so glad for him to finally have a home where he is loved and valued.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-19-2020), Hevyn (03-20-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Dee for the new thread!

Saw this idea online from Bailing Out Benji ~ Similar to Harley's Dream, their mission is to spread awareness and end puppy mills:

"Are you quarantined and feeling isolated? We want to help with that! Write a letter and join our Pen Pal program! In a time where loneliness is more real than ever we want everyone to feel connected. As of today Bailing Out Benji is implementing a “Pen Pal Program” to help connect our volunteers to anyone who needs a friend, feels lonely and isolated, can’t leave their home or students who need to keep busy! There is no limit to who can participate in this. We have many volunteers ready to write letters and get to know you because we all share the same passion to help animals and people 💙
You can write about your life, your pets, your fears, your hopes- anything! We are here and ready to creating lasting friendships and a mental break during this time of need.
To get started, write your first letter to:

Bailing Out Benji
PO Box 203
Ames, Iowa 50010

We will get you connected to one of our volunteers and together we can get through this scary and unknown time! "

Purplrks3647 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Purplrks3647 For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-20-2020), Hevyn (03-20-2020), least (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I love that this is in the world! Now that ARF is closed and I'm having a lot of resentment toward my "supervisor". I'd love to tell her I was giving my notice, but I don't want to yet. I have to get my zoo app filled in, which I think I may do shortly. Maybe I could use a pen pal: "The challenges of volunteering."
I love the Pen Pal program. Sometimes it's nice to talk with those doing the same work you're doing, animal welfare and everything that goes with that!! or whatever people have to do to make ends meet.

I'm still so, so happy for Chance. Least was kind enough to send me a pic of the lovebug♥ laying on the bed watching the world go by through a big window. It brought tears to my eyes. Sometimes doing the right thing actually turns out well!!! Well done, Least and glad our prayers were answered. That is a Spring miracle! Sometimes they do happen, esp around our magical and mystical animals who, I believe, know so much more in their brains that we can even imagine.
Love to all of you and a special thanks to Hevyn for her kindness of popping on just for the sole purpose of saying happy birthday to me. So sweet to one of the best people I know!!! Wondering if you're walking dogs with your hubby. ARF won't let us in, not that I get to touch any dogs or cats anyway.
I hope my supervisor is in charge of laundry, the witch. That would be enough to change her attitude about those who do laundry. It is absolutely back breaking. I can't do it for more than maybe 3 hours, but my shift is 2 hours and that's what they're getting from me from now on. I used to give them a lot of time, even at the Thrift Store. I just don't care anymore, esp about my supervisor, who I will likely never speak to personally to again , I am so much taller and bigger than her I'll stand up really tall if she ever wants to speak to me and I won't say one word. I can imagine I could make her feel pretty intimidated. I used to intimidate very difficult attorneys for a living . If I can intimidate them, she'll be a pool on the floor. I'm sooo mad at her I actually want to see her in a pool on the floor. When you start feeling that way, it's time to leave.
Like I said they better wake up if they think they can run ARF like a grassroots org anymore. I'm seeing class action law suits from volunteers, ex volunteers. maybe even employees. I'm afraid they fired my favorite worker. If that happened, I'm gone. They are in just the right place to be learning lessons from their growing pains. I guess they do provide some jobs, but I worked a Dreyers in their Corp acct office when I was quite young. Boy did that place get big, fast and they went through huge growing pains and finally sold it to Nestle, yuk! I've seen it before. ARF is a business, no way around that.
I'm looking at the craziness they pass out about being a volunteer and it is full of contrary statements. I would not be at all surprised if ARF gets a class action lawsuit from disgruntled volunteers and ex volunteers and unfortunately it will be a big, expensive learning process. I'm seeing borderline and not so much borderline abuses of the law in the way they treat some of their volunteers. Their is a hierarchy. I bet there is a whole lot of ex ARF volunteers who are disgruntled enough to sue them. They have the money and they are so screwing up. I almost think they are so green, it's going to happen, and I just hope they learn something. If they think they'll dodge that bullet, I don't see it happening. They have gotten so enormous in such a short time. Every business, and make no bones, they are a business, but when they too big too fast, they run into law suits and all kinds of "growing pains". You know with that amount of people in and out and there is no way everyone is happy. If you told me a few months ago I'd feel this way, I wouldn't have believed it. Now I do. It really feels grievous and hurtful in so many ways.
Sorry to be a bummer. I'm cranky, my idiot doctor didn't give me enough tramadol. What a surprise. The stuff barely works anyway and she acts like she's giving me black tar heroin. At this point, it is easier for me to get stuff off the black market than legitimately. I won't do it. Too many bad memories and I can no longer be around people who vibrate at such a low, disgusting frequency. Lol. Tramadol is the only pain med they'll maybe give me, even if you're ready to jump off a building because of the pain. They are seriously on my list for talking to a lawyer next week. I have a really busy week next week. I am in so much pain.
Purps, so, so sorry. ♥♥♥ All my love to you. I am really sorry.

Hevyn (03-20-2020), least (03-20-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 04:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Aly, Wow, it does sound like it may be time to move on! You crack me up....the comment about the doctor and the Tramadol made me lol....sorry...I hope you get something that brings you relief

And how did I miss it! I'm horrible about birthdays....thank goodness for posts from our friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Koala View Post
Happy birthday Alysheba!
Happy Birthday Aly!

Alysheba (03-20-2020), Hevyn (03-20-2020), least (03-20-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 06:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Purps- That Pen Pal program is a great idea.
I'm glad you mentioned Too Cute - I DVR'd all of them - they'll be a welcome distraction.

Aly - Our shelter is closed too. We were told they'll let us know when volunteers are ok to come back. They're operating with a very small crew of caretakers.
I'm sure your supervisor & others will be enlightened as to what it's like without people like you to do all the hard work. It's so disappointing when people turn out to be petty & unreasonable. You gave the whole thing your all - they should have been so grateful.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Alysheba (03-20-2020), least (03-20-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-20-2020, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Thank you so much Purps and Hev. You two are so sweet and perfect. Purps, I'm glad you think some of what I say is funny. It's kind of meant to have a touch of humor. It's the Irish in me and I've heard a lot my life that they call it Gallow's humor. That leaves it to someone Irish to joke on the way to be hanged. I've always done it, not that I've been hanged, but during difficult situations. One therapist I had got so mad at me when I made jokes during difficult situations. She said I did it to avoid pain. Probably true. I don't know, I think if anyone had that ability, who wouldn't avoid pain, although, you can run, but you can't hide, truth be told. Now my psychiatrist thinks it's healthy that I can joke about horrifying things. It's like the only way I can face it. So if I kind of am funny sometimes, please enjoy, but please don't be offended. It's a coping mechanism and it's all I know. Like I said, some people think I'm really funny and others don't really understand where the weird humor is going. I'm glad you get it, Purps!!! (besides the Irish, Italian, Swedish and English/Welsh and some German). I was in a writing class and the stuff I was writing was a satire of a law firm I worked at. The class was laughing their heads off and a person said, it's like a combo of the Firm and Bonfire of the Vanities (which is one of the funniest books I've ever read). I love satire, no, really.
Gosh, thank you for your support, Hevyn. I really, really did and I did feel some pretty intense grief for a bit about ARF. Then my supervisor started really pissing me off and the more I thought about it, the more I thought what a petty effing witch she is and she doesn't even deserve a glance from me. I may just stop showing up or I may give her a notice. I'm not interested in re volunteering for them as I am in suing them, class action suit for abusing present and past volunteers. All I'd have to do is look up old volunteers. Maybe the lawyer I use can compel them to cough up the info. If I decide to do it. Class action suits always do better than one on one and you usually get better lawyers. I finally admitted to my mother how vengeful I was. I have actually waited months to years to "get" someone badly who was rude or horrible to me or an animal (or some underdog) at some point. I've even gone to the point of making pretend friends with someone who will feel my wrath when the time is right. I am being honest because I am not proud of this, but if someone really hurts me or if I feel intentionally hurt by someone, unless they've proven they love me, which is exceedingly rare, I've done some rather reprehensible things. It's shocking when 2 years later a woman I worked with was so awful to me when I started, when I met a guy she liked, I stole him from her and then promptly dumped him. I just wanted her to know I could and if she screwed me around again, she wouldn't know which way it was coming from. Imagine what I'd do to her if she turned my dogs in, which has been done and I waited years to get her back and I did in a mean way after making fake friends with her. What is wrong with me? I guess it's a character defect I have to work on. I've been thinking about it lately and thinking it's something I need to let go. I've toned it down over the years, but it's still there, this intense desire for vengeance in certain situations. I'm starting to think of it for my addict sister whose worm has turned again. I could never, ever hurt her as much as she's hurt me and her husband and children. She wouldn't even notice and I wouldn't even want to. I have a feeling she'll be in a coffin sooner rather than later.
Take care. Sleep well. Love to all of you. I'm just feeling pretty depressed tonight. So sorry. Thank you for listening to me. I don't really have very many people I can share anything with. Guess that no matter what I feel I have taken care of, there's always something I need to work on.

Hevyn (03-21-2020), least (03-21-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 01:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

(((Aly))) I get the feeling of wanting revenge....then again all of that tension and stress is taken out on our bodies.....instead I've been working on creating a better version of myself and letting crap fall into place....that way when the s**t hits the fan, don't look at me!

Yeah I'm part German, Irish, Scottish and French.....speaking of pissing people off, you'd like my dad's smart-ass sense of humor....he was once on the witness stand in court and the lawyer was trying to make him look like a liar, manipulating his words and Dad wasn't buying it....the lawyer was so irritated!

Dad has a spoiled dachshund & I tried texting him about the little ones at the shelter up for adoption, in case pup was looking for a roommate....he replied "Oh hell no....it's gotta be all about her!"
Alysheba (03-21-2020), Hevyn (03-21-2020), least (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

That's so cute Purps. Your dad sounds so cute.
I'm not always vengeful like that, but I've done it enough times that I think it's a character flaw that needs attention. Thank you for the suggestions. You're kind of right, a lot of times, esp as I get older, why is that worth it? Why would I let something or someone take that much space in my head.
I'd never sue a place like ARF. Never. When push came to shove, I realized I felt really hurt at how hard I've worked for ARF and how much I really did like it. Then when I needed some help, they aren't there for me. It happens. If you can't live with it, move on, which I probably will.
I am so sorry for venting like that last night. I felt pretty upset, but I think I'm getting past it. Besides with this pandemic or whatever it is, life may look very differently on the other side.
Love and peace to all of you and I really am sorry for being so ugly last night. I am going to try to get something positive out of this.
I read a great post on grats where someone was taking this time to catch up, etc., rest, quality time with her family, a lot of really positive things to focus on. I am a changed woman this morning.
Purps, I am sorry about work, love. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm sending all the good vibes I can.♥♥♥

Old 03-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

I DVR'd my Too Cute episode with the Neos on them. I just love those dogs. I have a couple of them taped. Sometimes when I wake in the early hours, 3 am is the worst, I'll turn one on to get the tide of thoughts to hopefully turn. It is harder when you sleep with someone. They don't always appreciate the TV on at 3 am.
I had a friend who'd been married for a long time and she and her husband had their own bedrooms. I'm sure they were together, but I always thought that was kind of a good idea. I'm kind of a restless sleeper and I like my TV on (keeping away the bad thoughts) or a book. Ex's used to complain about the way I sleep sometimes , I just thought it wasn't a half bad idea, esp if I disturbed someone's sleep or visa versa.
♥♥♥

Old 03-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

No need to apologize Aly Hope you're having a better day today

Just saw that our local Humane Society has found either an adopter or a foster home for all the animals.....so they have officially cleared the shelter! After today they're closing to the public including volunteers for at least a week....we'll see when I can get in for more dog walking after all this crap has blown over.....and hopefully reschedule another kitty training class!

Hope everyone is having a peaceful and healthy weekend
Alysheba (03-22-2020), Hevyn (03-21-2020), least (03-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Aly - MrHev #1 had that humor too. (Charming Irish Alkie, now deceased). There was no one who could make me laugh more - but it was definitely dark humor. I myself am rather sarcastic & am often misunderstood.
You can always be yourself with us, Aly.

I'm so glad we talked about Too Cute - I'm going to watch the ones I recorded tonight. I really need something light, fun, and non-controversial.

Alysheba (03-22-2020), least (03-21-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-21-2020, 08:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Here's my favorite picture of Billie lying in front of the window in the sun. She no longer wears that neon orange collar, has a Mutts collar now and it looks better on her black fur. We didn't get a walk in today as it never went above 33 F. Hopefully tomorrow will be warm enough to walk. I'm no good without my daily dog walk.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (03-22-2020), Hevyn (03-22-2020), Purplrks3647 (03-22-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 03:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Billie is so cute Least....I can tell she's a sweetie

I saw something online ~ an idea since lots of people are working from home, post comments about your pets but refer to them as your "coworkers" instead

Yesterday I visited Mom and brat cat....he's more like the supervisor
Alysheba (03-22-2020), Hevyn (03-22-2020), least (03-22-2020)