SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Café Central (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/caf-central/)
-   -   Going back to work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/caf-central/439242-going-back-work.html)

entropy1964 06-08-2019 01:11 PM

Going back to work

Okay my SR cafe friends, I had no idea where to put this thread, or even if its appropriate. So this looked like as good a place as any.

I'm 54. I haven't worked in any real way in 18 years. My kid is starting Uni so its time for me to focus on me.

Yay, right? Well, sort of. I'm actually terrified. Now that I'm faced with getting a job, I'm completely flummoxed.

The career I left was lucrative. I was never some big wig or anything but I was a solid, middle management, tech kinda gal. I'm educated. I'm smart. I'm youthful.

And I'm fricken scared. I have no idea what my resume should look like. I mean, I should probably stop over thinking it and just write 'something'. I'm not even sure, with online applying and software based candidate selection whether my age will just preclude me from opportunities. I am tenacious. I'll have to figure this out.

But I'm scared. Like little kid scared.

So I was wondering if anyone can relate, has advice, experience. Anything.

And please, don't just tell me I'm too old and no one will hire me. One of my brothers already did that. Felt great. Hahaha.

Thanks!!!

sobersophie 06-08-2019 02:29 PM

Hi entropy. Congratulations and good luck with your new venture! It sounds like it is an exciting new chapter and I love that you said you want to focus on you.

I hope this isn't overstepping but, screw your brother! You are never to old to start something new or set a new goal, and you are able to confidently list qualities about yourself which make you an ideal candidate for any employer.

Get a great template for your resume and ask someone you trust to give constructive feedback so you can fine tune it, shop for a new interview outfit you look great in and go out there and show them what you're made of!

You got this :) please keep us updated!

entropy1964 06-08-2019 03:55 PM

Thanks Sophie. I appreciate the encouragement.

I know I just have to believe in myself and just jump in the fray. Guess no one is gonna hold my hand huh? Ha!

I don't even know what the heck I want to do. Or can do. Well I guess there's only one way to find out!

least 06-08-2019 04:58 PM

I wish you luck in your job search. :hug:

Dee74 06-08-2019 05:03 PM

No advice but plenty of good wishes. Have fun working out what you want to be :)

Things are swinging around - older employees are being valued again. I know you'll be an asset to any company ent.

D

Guener 06-08-2019 05:09 PM

I don't know exactly what you did, but you said that you were a tech kind of person, and that is a good thing to have in your vitae.

One thing that you might consider is working as a temp while you get your resume polished, get back into the work space, alter your routines into a new flow.

Having been on a work break for a considerable amount of time doesn't make you less valuable. I wouldn't expect to land right back where you were when you left, but you know that some skills are ever in demand, and your age doesn't mean that employers will not consider you. Don't let anyone discourage you. You did say that you are tenacious.

If you are good at interviewing, that will take you further into consideration, too.

Onward ...

Mark1014 06-09-2019 07:30 AM

It’ll fall into place. Funny how preparation and tenacity turn into good luck!

As an employer, I can tell you that I value and often prefer a candidate with some life experience. I think your age (very close to mine) can actually be an asset.

Best wishes. :)

entropy1964 06-10-2019 07:25 AM

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I guess the age thing is how I frame it. I'm thinking I'll make it my super power! I am my thoughts, right?

Guener, that's an interesting idea about temping. Just not sure my skill sets fall into temp type work. But I won't know unless I research it. I agree completely about doing something to get things flowing again. And completely agree, I have no expectation that I'll land right back where I left off. And I'm in an area where salaries are far lower than what I had in the past. But so is cost of living.

Fun Fun. Just gotta get to it. Still scared...Oh wait, super power!