Whiners Anonymous ... Part 225 ~ "Whining Above the Storms" - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Café Central
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2017, 08:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Cool

Whiners Anonymous ... Part 225 ~ "Whining Above the Storms"

The Whining Continues From Here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6600732

Thank you for the new title, Ann!

W.A. Preamble!

Whiners Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience,

strength and hope with each other,

that they may solve their whining problems and help others to recover from whinerism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop whineing.

There are no dues or fees for W.A. membership;

we are self-supporting through our own contributed whines.

W.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization, institutions,

TV, radio, or Oprah Book of the Month Club!

does not wish to engage in any controversy, yeah right!,

neither endorses nor opposes any causes.

Our primary purpose is to stop whine'n and help other whineaholics to achieve non whineity.

Whiners Anonymous Help (WAH!)

Do you whine, complain, or snivel? Are you a grumpy old fart?
Do you seek out others in taverns or internet chat rooms to whine about things?
Do people ever tell you to "like it or lump it"?
Are you asked, "What are you crying about?"
Do friends or family seem less likely to talk to you as the years go by?
Do you constantly tell other people they whine too much?

If you do any of these things, you may be in need of the WAH! 12 step program.
Whining is for tiny tots! Do you want to die a lonely old man/woman and whine about the prospect?
Stop whining now!

The WAH! 12 Step Program:

1. Admit you whine.

Just say, "I am a whiner."

2. Admit your whining is a problem.

It's not enough to know you whine--you have to realize it interferes with your life. Tell yourself, your spouse, and a friend that you have a problem with whining, that all you have ever done is whine. But don't whine to God! He already knows, all too well. God just sat back while you whined away the years. It's not His fault, after all, so don't go whining to Him with your problem.

3. Seek help to cure your whining.

Whining is but one of your many shortcomings, since you are a miserable excuse for a human being. Another shortcoming is you can't do anything for yourself, otherwise you would not whine. Go whine to somebody to help you--that's all you know how to do, remember?

4. Laugh at your whine.

Made a decision to turn your constant whining over to your sense of humor and learn to "lovingly and wholeheartedly" laugh at yourself each time you whine. Be prepared to be given the nickname "Loony Tunes," however.

5. Step out of your shoes.

Put your whine in perspective. There's a woman in Africa living in a mud hut with a grass roof and NO indoor plumbing. She lives off of $27 a year. She is totally blind and collects sticks for firewood, hoping the next stick isn't a snake. Now, what was your whine again?

6. Eat something nasty.

Eat some vegetable you hate without whining about the taste. And don't hold your nose or cover it with cheese!

7. Listen to other whiners.

Get a part job in a complaint department and listen to other peoples' whines 8 hours a day. But don't complain about your job! If you do, go back to step 3. Go a whole week listening to your wife/husband complain and just say "yes dear." If you can't, go back to step 2. Have kids and listen to them whine--that's how you sound to others. Pay back time! What goes around, comes around!

8. Make a victim list.

Make of list of all persons you thought you had harmed and hope to hell that they'd forgotten all the minuscule crap you'd blown out of proportion. Ask them if you ever whined, and then be prepared to take the return whine.

9. Beat the crap out of your parents.

After all, they raised a whiner. Yes, you started early, but it is not your fault!

10. Beware of falling off the wagon.

Resign yourself to the fact you are going to whine each time you try to stick to your guns when you know you are right. Once a whiner, always a whiner, they say. So either just admit your are wrong or go back to step 1. Cripes, you mean you really want to go back to step 1 after getting to step 10?

11. Whine to your dog.

They love you no matter how much you whine. It's called unconditional love. Unless of course they sense your foul mood. Disguise your whine by mixing the words "good dog" in every sentence. They only know so many words--those two they know. Otherwise, your dog would hate you like all the people you know.

12. Help others.

Help some other whiney-assed basstard with his whine problem. You get to whine about their whining. It's great.

so have at it!

whine, snivle, rant, bitch, and rave away!!!

W.A. Disclaimer; just be prepared for the results

12 Promises of WA

If we are painstaking about developing our whining techniques, we will be amazed at how proficient we become at expressing our dissatisfaction with people, places, and things that irk us.

1. We are going to know a new freedom of expression.

2. We will realize it's phony to pretend happiness when we just aren't feeling it.

3. We will not regret our whines nor wish to deny their validity.

4. We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know the peace of unburdening ourselves by sharing our whines at WA.

5. No matter how far down in the dumps we feel, we will see how our experience can benefit our fellow whiners.

6. That Pollyanna feeling of "la-dee-da, la-dee-da" will disappear.

7. We will set our own whines aside as we realize someone else's whine may be more deserving of our emotional support .

8. Self-centeredness will not be as prevalent, as we share and compare whining.

9. Our whole attitude and outlook upon ordinary blahs in general, and whining in particular will take on a new meaning.

10. Fear of being recognized and/or ostracized as a Chronic Whiner will leave us.

11. We will intuitively know that healthy whining is not to be stifled, but shared with others like ourselves.

12. We will suddenly realize that sharing a good whine can be very cathartic and we no longer need to whine alone.

Are these unreasonable promises? We think not. Whining has become our way of dealing with adversities--sometimes major, sometimes petty--and knowing our whines will not go unnoticed will work towards reducing the tensions produced by life's little speedbumps.

The Twelve Traditions of Whiner's Anonymous

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon W.A. unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—the owners, Administrators and Moderators, Greeters and Members of this site as they may express themselves in our group conscience.

3. Our leaders are but trusted servants;but they do govern. The only requirement for W.A. membership is SR membership and a desire to share some whiny ESH.

4. This group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other whiners or W.A.as a whole.

5. Each group has but one primary purpose—to whine about things in a safe environment, have fun, blow off steam and then let it go while moving onward in recovery.

6. A W.A. group ought never endorse, finance, or lend the W.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise,lest those who do not wish to whine or read other people's whines divert us from our primary purpose.

7. Every W.A. group ought to not to be fully self-supporting, and gratefully accept this venue given to us for the purpose of whining.

8. Whiner's Anonymous should remain forever non-professional, but our all of our whiners shall remain as special workers.

9. W.A., as such, ought never be organized; because they need to whine about the ups and downs of their lives.

10. Whiner's Anonymous has no opinion on outside issues; because most people on the outside ignore whiners anyway.

11. Our public relations policy is based on whining rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of real life if that is what we choose.

12. Anonymity of screen names is optional for those who choose to use real names ever reminding us to place principles before personalities, and respect those from other fellowships. What we whine about here stays forever on the internet.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Opivotal For This Useful Post:
chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Shotgun whine...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Opivotal (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)

After 2 years of very hard work- my emotional and cognitive awareness is beginning to grow. Kind of like coming out of shock. I am feeling emotions I have not readily experienced b4. Many of them dark thoughts- to do with the burns. That and being alone. I know what to do, am safe and thriving, I am just not very happy about it. I know my perception of the world masks reality..and now the task at hand is to process these emotions..slowly, carefully and with awareness.
Just to add to this- there is a doco on about 'psychic vampires'.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Maudcat (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), Opivotal (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like hard but rewarding work, P J.
Hang in there.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Opivotal (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you for the new thread, Opi, and I hope you had a wonderful birthday yesterday.

PJ, something that helped me when I was walking through a lot of pain years ago, was to break it into doable pieces and put a time limit on my thought process. For example, when I was working through my codependency issues in dealing with my son, I allowed myself one hour of quietude in a peaceful place and maybe thought about how my actions affected "me" and how I would heal from that. Another time I would deal with how it affected "my son" and how I would forgive myself for that. Or one of the steps, and how it applied to me and how I could best work it. Get the drift? Doing all this with or without sauna pants is optional.

Doable pieces, time limits and surrounded by peaceful quietude is a good way to ensure we don't go wading into dark waters without a life jacket. I had a sponsor at the ready as well, to call if I needed someone to guide me or just go for a coffee with to change my head space for a while.

This may or may not help you, but finding what works for us individually helps us keep safe.

Bubba and I went for lunch to a new place (for us) on Stony Lake, overlooking the water. It was so nice and the food so good we booked a water view table for dinner tomorrow night with my brother and his wife. I am so glad we are no longer estranged. We both focus on "now" and don't rehash the past, it's behind us and we're not going that way. Also, his Lewy-Body and Parkinsons is hugely better with some new medication he is taking. He agreed to be part of a study and they pay all his expenses including medications and can give him the newest, best working medications that maybe haven't hit the open market yet. No shaking at all and his mind is good. Still has balance issues and uses a walker or cane and a scooter if he wants to go distance like to a shopping area near his house, it means he can safely go alone.

On the way home I saw cedar wax wings along the river eating berries off the bushes there. Such lovely birds and I love the little red "wax" on their wings.

This is the restaurant, both the deck and the inside windows overlook the lake and it's just a lovely place. Cottage casual with excellent food.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017), Tc4ever (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Ann, thanks for the pictures! Lovely, as always.

I am excited. I got a call (text actually) about dog sitting. I replied to the text by asking her to call me. She said she'd call after she got off work. I don't know how much to charge but want to be reasonable. This is the second day of the ad so am glad to get an inquiry. Prayers needed that this works out to be a lucrative enterprise.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

Least, I googled and found this on dog walking and how charges are usually calculated...you can charge whatever feels right for you but it may be a good guideline.

https://www.angieslist.com/articles/...ers-charge.htm

I am so happy for you...and lucky lady to choose you.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
chicory (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Least - I sure hope it works out for you!

Ann - That place looks gorgeous. I'm so happy your brother is doing fairly well - and that you two are in touch.
Cedar Waxwing - haven't seen one yet - they're so lovely.

PJ - You're doing a wonderful job of healing & growing.

Opi - Thanks for saving me some berries - but by the time I got here there was nothing left. Probably someone from another thread came in & grabbed them.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Ann, thanks for the tips. I'm not bonded/insured, whatever that means. I'm going to ask the person to specify what needs to be done. They asked for dog sitting, so I'm assuming they'll be gone and need dog care. I don't want to short myself but want to be cheaper than boarding at the vet.

I have only one reference and that is my vet. They know what a good dog and cat owner I am and can vouch for my responsibility.

I hope this works out as I am desperate for money.

Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-09-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:18 PM   #10 (permalink)

Ann..thankyou. Your photos are stunning (as usual). The thing is I do not go to that dark place- I am still getting out of it...the suggie of a quiet hour just to un-think, if you will- is a very good one. I walk until it hurts. Walk-exhaust-sleep. I will give it a go.
What do you think of steam driven sauna pants? Instead of using a battery? Like something out of a steam-punk magazine. Fitted with chrome knobs and lots of useless dials.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

leazt, I'm so excited that you got a response so soon. It's so very! expensive to have ones dog boarded, so I bet you could get some real business! praying for you, dear friend.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chicory For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-09-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 05:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Opi, Thanks for the new thread and Ann, thanks for the title

least, so excited that you've had a response already. Generally a pet sitter is less money then boarding and allows the pet to remain in their home. Many years ago we had a wonderful pet sitter, but she moved away. We paid her to come over 3-4 times a day and it made getting away from time to time, possible.

Stepdaughter and family took 18 1/2 hours to get to the Alabama border, where they pulled off to sleep awhile. They finally made it to their hotel in Biloxi, Mississippi.....exhausted, but safe!

I'm worried for both my Mom and sister, as they each have homes in Naples.

As I've posted, I've been "off" for awhile. Friday I saw my shrink and she wanted to up my anti depressant. I really didn't want to, but I trust her and she'll see me again in one month. Honestly, I feel better after just 2 days at the higher dose.

I sure wish I didn't need it though. I try everything to keep it at bay, going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, exercising , eating healthy....sigh.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pondlady For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 05:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Sometimes you just need that help, Pondy.
Glad you are feeling better.
I too am worried.
My bestie lives in Gulfport, and tried for days to get a flight out, either to here or Philadelphia, where she has family.
No luck, so she and some friends are going to hunker down in a house far back from the bay.
I hope she will be okay.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 05:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Pondy, maybe the increase will help you. Try it for a while and see if it does.

Prayers to all those in Irma's path.

Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), Caramel (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-09-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017), Tc4ever (09-10-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 07:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Pondy - When I heard it was heading West I thought of your mom & sis right away. I'm glad the other part of the fam is safe & sound.

Mcat - I hope bestie will be ok. What a relief when this thing finally passes.

Suki - Wonder what kitty is watching on tv.

It's so chilly here I really could put the heat on - but not ready for that yet. Not a typical September so far.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFMWgI0qmbA

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-09-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
Ann
Nature Girl

Awww, I want a baby elephant.

Least, I had an older couple (70's) to housesit Toby when we went away for even a weekend. They came over about 4 times a day for maybe an hour each time and sat on our deck by the bay in the afternoon and enjoyed the water view and breeze. Toby sat with them (on his leash). I think we paid them $200 for a 3 day weekend (9 years ago) and they were worth every penny. They would leave a journal of each time they visited and how Toby was. Also they gave him his twice a day medication. I have no idea what other people charged or paid. ..Our sitter asked for less and we paid more because they were so great and caring.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ann For This Useful Post:
chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-10-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-09-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

When I had former roomie watching my cats, she just came over once a day to feed them and clean the litter. I paid her ten dollars a day. She also fed the stray kitties and brought in the mail.

Another late night. I feel like I did when I worked second shift.

I LOVE the baby elephant!

Ann (09-10-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-10-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), PhoenixJ (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 12:55 AM   #20 (permalink)

I hope it goes you way, Least.
Prayers to all in Irma's wrath.
Ann- you cannot have an elephant young lady. They are still talking about the last one you had. If you cannot clean up after your elephant..there are consequences.I started being mindfully mindful. Sat- listened, used senses. Went totally blank for about one trillionth of a second. The went to work on a new art piece. Then repaired a granny food trolley. And reading and a little reading. Having patience means making patience.
Elephants prefer not to wear sauna pants, Ann- as the velcro tabs are hard to manage with a trunk. They prefer free flowing caftans.
I wonder if the turbo scrub could be adapted to fit into the end of an elephant's trunk? Heavy duty cleaning.....
.................................................. .................................................. .................................. HAHA,HAHA-HA (
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PhoenixJ For This Useful Post:
Ann (09-10-2017), chicory (09-10-2017), Hevyn (09-10-2017), Impurrfect (09-10-2017), least (09-10-2017), Mklove (09-10-2017), Pondlady (09-11-2017)
Closed Thread