A 20 something that just can't get social media craze - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Café Central
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2016, 10:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

A 20 something that just can't get social media craze

I grew up when the big shift from a simple beeper and hanging out intimately transformed into Xanga to myspace to Facebook to instagram and snapchat. I was an avid myspace and Facebook user in HS/college. But I think ultimately, it has been the source of SO MANY problems. As I graduated college, I deactivated my Facebook. I got a lot done but I must admit I have so isolated from a large chunk of people. Is this common? Is it possible to have a busy social life without being on these social media sites? I have been off Facebook for a good 3 years but immediately upon my return I am returning to vain childish behavior, seeing my ex's profile, old drinking buddies, and there is a lot of comparison occurring too " oh this person is already married?" I guess that comes with the territory and some people can be on these social media sites without getting into this kind of thinking but not me.

My overall question and concern is...I generally don't like big crowds. I like my intimate friendships and circles. However, it seems as though I am missing out on social media as most people my age (almost everyone I know is on these sites) Does once again deleting my site lower my chances of meeting a potential partner? Is there anyone that can relate to this love/hate relationship with social media?
skywalker91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skywalker91 For This Useful Post:
brynn (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

50 views & zero responses SMH SMH :p Anyway I deleted my Facebook and feel so much better=]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skywalker91 For This Useful Post:
brynn (04-19-2016), Opivotal (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 01:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I just saw your post skywalker.

If you feel better, you made the right decision.

Personally, I don't think you're missing out on a thing!
Opivotal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opivotal For This Useful Post:
brynn (04-19-2016), skywalker91 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

haha thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opivotal View Post
I just saw your post skywalker.

If you feel better, you made the right decision.

Personally, I don't think you're missing out on a thing!
Opivotal (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
...holds the key

Skywalker....I have a very full life and social life without Facebook! I'm not on because there's just too much I don't want to know about or see (mainly certain exes). Anyway....my friends that are still on are constantly in a tizzy about someone or something that's happened on Facebook! Umm...no thanks. Their lives are ruled by it and it's such a waste. When I quit drinking I decided to weed out things and people that weren't positive and I got rid of a lot of stressors by doing that. I strive to live as stress free as possible and Facebook just doesn't fit the bill for me.
Good for you for doing what's best for yourself! And if it makes you feel any better, I never met any of my partners on Facebook!
Opivotal (04-20-2016), skywalker91 (04-19-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ah yes! Social media has become a sad phenomenon! Some might say it helps them keep in touch with people they really care about and can't see often but I say if you don't see the person face to face/can't make arrangements then that individual probably isn't worth the time anyway.
It enables individuals that don't want to lead productive lives to sit around all day and conjure up stories that may or may not even be real. And it can suck you in so easily to the most silliest topics. I am glad to see that you guys can see where my frustration comes from =] I love that---Stress free life sounds so good there is enough things to worry about in life why add Facebook to mix?! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Skywalker....I have a very full life and social life without Facebook! I'm not on because there's just too much I don't want to know about or see (mainly certain exes). Anyway....my friends that are still on are constantly in a tizzy about someone or something that's happened on Facebook! Umm...no thanks. Their lives are ruled by it and it's such a waste. When I quit drinking I decided to weed out things and people that weren't positive and I got rid of a lot of stressors by doing that. I strive to live as stress free as possible and Facebook just doesn't fit the bill for me.
Good for you for doing what's best for yourself! And if it makes you feel any better, I never met any of my partners on Facebook!
Opivotal (04-20-2016)
Old 04-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

&& I have been told my many that a variety of big businesses use the information that many of us put on our sites to help grow their business/products....Haven;t seen actual data on this but I don't doubt it. And lets not even go into how teens can use it as a form of cyberbullying
Opivotal (04-20-2016)