The Lion Cub from Harrods - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Café Central
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2015, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

The Lion Cub from Harrods

A lot of you have probably seen this clip already at some point

Quote:
In 1969 Ace Bourke and John Rendall were two young Australian travellers who had just arrived in London when they bought a lion cub from Harrods department store. It was an impractical "impulse" buy, but while he was a cub they felt they could look after him as well as anyone, and do their best to secure his future. They called him Christian. Ace and John lived with Christian on King's Road, Chelsea and when Christian grew too big they moved to the country until it was arranged for Christian to be returned to the wild in Kenya. Forty years later the YouTube clip featuring Christian's unforgettable reunion with Ace and John, a year after his return to Africa, introduced a new world audience who are intrigued and enchanted by Christian's extraordinary story. With the mutual love and trust he shared with Ace and John, he has become a symbol of the potential of human-animal relationships and the importance and urgency of animal and wildlife conservation.
It's quite amazing heart-centric footage. Apparently there is a documentary about the story which I haven't seen yet but am going to settle down with for the night:

Quote:
A heartbreaking story about a lion who was raised by humans, by the friends John Rendall and Ace Bourke. This lion got too big for them, so they put him back in the wilderness. One year later they decided to visit him in Africa where he was placed. Scientists said that lions would never remember their human parents after such a time separated. Something that this film contradicts.
240p is all I could find. A great story, just though I'd share it here.
Stratman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stratman1 For This Useful Post:
INgal (07-24-2015), least (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 03:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, I've seen that and it's wonderful. The joy of the reunion was clearly visible. Animals are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. They remember more than we think.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
least is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2015, 01:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't get around to watching the documentary yet. I seen a similar reunion with a chimp

Speaking of animals being smarter than we give them credit for, did you see 'Project Nim'?
Stratman1 is offline   Reply With Quote