Anything Easter . . . Whatcha Got to Share? - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Café Central
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Attitude of Gratitude

Anything Easter . . . Whatcha Got to Share?

With this being Easter Weekend, I imagine many of us have something "Easter" we'd like to share . . . whether it be a graphic, a picture of one of our kids or pets on a previous Easter, a poem, a story about the dog finding all the hidden eggs before the kids and making a mess, a favorite Childhood Memory . . .anything Easter that you'd like to share.

Who's next?

Just when the Catterpillar thought her life was over, She became a Butterfly
7/25/05
serenityqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Old & Sober Member of AA

Being in the nursing home, I miss all the holiday traditions. But, I found out this past Christmas that my granddaughter does, too. So, she's talked my daughter into getting together this weekend to do all the food we used to when I was at home. I got a phone call the other night...they got down the box containing all my recipes, and wanted directions to make the Italian sweet pie for Easter.

One of my big fears was that all the family traditions would die without me to carry them on. I guess I don't have to worry now, and that will make it easier to enjoy the holidays, even though I can't be with my family.

Have a wonderful weekend, everyone!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm confused, are you not going to be able to be with your Grand daughter and the others who are making these foods? I hope you can!

My Grandmother had many recipes that she had inside her head so when she passed away, there were secrets that made certain recipes so unique that no one knew about. . . that certain spice maybe that she put in a recipe. No one could ever figure out what we were leaving out that Grandma put in. She took these secrets to the grave with her.

I am one of 27 Grandkids, even though I was never one of my Grandma's favorites, for some reason, many Good Fridays found me at Grandma and Grandpa's house helping her dye dozens of Easter Eggs and she always made a Hungarian Tradition, Turtle Soup. Ugh! I hated it! The smell alone turned my stomach but even the distant relatives would come knocking on Grandma's door with big quart and even gallon containers for her Turtle Soup. Grandma had the stove tops covered with these enormous pots that she gad filled to the brims with Turtle Soup. I always had to figure out how to tell her that I wasn't hungry when she insisted that I have the first bowl. Oh, I really disliked it that much!

Thanks for the memory though. That's what I was hoping people would share on here, just random Easter Memories.

Hope everyone has a great safe, sober and memorable Holiday weekend.

Judy

7/25/05
Old 04-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

I remember looking for easter eyes as a kid. I also remember dying them, and the smell of hot dye, it was unpleasant but worth it to get the pretty eggs. We never got real fancy like some people do, just a few colors. Good times!
adore79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Old & Sober Member of AA

Oh...I had a whole Holy Week full of traditions, that I don't really expect my kids to continue...although I left all the recipes and instructions. You really have to be dedicated, and there just doesn't seem to be the same feeling among this generation.

Holy Thursday - As kids, it was customary for a group of us to get together and pay a visit to three different Catholic churches. As an adult, I started to have a seder to which I invited 12 people...the 13 present at The Last Supper. I served roast beef with accompaniments. There was a seder plate in the center of the table...I explained the significance of each item, and told a brief story of the meaning of Passover. One of my friends once remarked, "I didn't know you were Jewish." I said, "I'm not...but, Jesus was, and he was observing Passover at The Last Supper...it makes perfect sense to me."

Good Friday - Went to church sometime during the three hours between noon and 3:00...the length of time it was believed He hung on the cross. If I wasn't able to go to church, I observed three hours of silence. We didn't eat meat on that day, so my family always had piroggi (sort of Polish ravioli).

Saturday - Baked poppyseed bread and Italian cheese pie during the day. From early evening we decorated and colored eggs in the style of the Ukrainian Pysanky...it was a modified version using the hot beeswax. The original version would take as long as several hours for each egg and was started months before Easter. We did beautiful eggs...my eldest son was the only one of my three children who really enjoyed doing them with me.

Easter Sunday - I got up about 7:00 and started preparing a brunch consisting of ham, kielbasi, the baked goods and motzah pancakes. I guess I should explain the motzah pancakes. My mother's sister married a Jew, Uncle Murray. I lived several years of my childhood in their home on Long Island. When we moved to New Jersey, Aunt Anna would bring my cousins Marty and David to celebrate Easter with my family. Auntie brought the leftover motzah from Passover and made us the motzah brie for breakfast. It just didn't seem a complete Easter Sunday without the pancakes.

When my kids and grandkids were young, I would hide little foil covered chocolate eggs around the apartment and give each one a baggie to put them in as they were found. It kept them busy while I was getting breakfast on the table.

Until the kids were grown and had families of their own, we also had a big Easter dinner. It got to be too much later on when they had to visit inlaws, too. So, we just got together between 10 and 11 for brunch. Then we were all off to church and visiting.

And, there you have it. Whew! No, all of my immediate family is in Pennsylvania or North Jersey now...so, no family dinner. But, there'll be lots of phone calls; and, my niece will probably bring me leftovers...she came with piroggi yesterday. It is what it is.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Attitude of Gratitude

\\Thank you so much for sharing that! It made me think of my Grandma and all of baking and cooking she did in preparation for Easter and other Holidays.

I know what several of the foods are you spoke of. I'm getting hungry! lol

My Grandma made Perrogio's and some of her other specialities, which no one knows what the secret ingredient was, Chicken & Dumplin's and Cabbage Rolls. I remember her spending ages wilting the cabbage for cabbage rolls.

My Family, if you haven't figured out by now is Hungarian/Polish. My Great Aunt, up until her health began failing a few years ago, made all of the Cabbage Rolls for the Polish Festival that was held one weekend a year. She made, on average, 1,200 Cabbage Rolls! Can you imagine? Luckily, she has 6 daughters and 4 daughter in laws and they would start way ahead of time. One day alone was spent just rolling up the "meatballs" or whatever you want to call them. Seemed like they wilted cases of cabbage. This was an event, as I'm sure you can imagine!

I am really hungry now! lol

Hugs,
Judy

7/25/05
Old 04-11-2009, 02:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ahhh...Judy! The most galumpkis we ever made were 200...my son and I...for my mother's 90th Birthday Party...seven years ago! Of course, other members of the family brought food for the 100 guests. Here's a good recipe site:

What's a good Galumpki recipe? - *****! Answers

The only difference is I would put the entire head of cabbage in the pot of water and peel the layers of leaves as they became wilted enough to work with.

My mom's family is Austrian, originally from Austria-Hungary. But, she spoke Polish and Russian as a child, understood some Ukrainian.

Nothing like the old ethnic foods! BTW...we had a pancake breakfast on Wednesday, and I made motzah pancakes in the Activities Room.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Happy Easter!
http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/.../2-bunnies.gif
http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/img/...ling-bunny.gif
Old 04-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Old & Sober Member of AA

TO EVERYONE
Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

We were usually at either one set of grandparents or the other. I have good memories of both. One set was kind of religious, the other not really. Just the idea of being together was enough. Both sets of grandparents are gone now, but I have wonderful memories.

We didn't do much this year. We are trying to get the house on the market and it has been really hard.

Dios me da la Sernidad
Para acceptar las cosas que no puedo cambiar
La fuerza para cambiar las que si puedo
y la Sabidura para reconocer la diferencia
Latte is offline   Reply With Quote