The Handmaid's Tale - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

The Handmaid's Tale

So I decided to read it after watching the new tv series which was fantastic. I'm not too far into the book yet but it has me thinking how easy it could be as women to have all our rights striped from us. It's happened in the Middle East in parts, women back in the 70's were going to university and had choices and careers and then wars broke out and religious fanatics took power and bam! Just like that no more school, no more going out, no more dressing however you want, no more independence. Might makes right and now women become property all under some crazy ideology about protecting them from the very men who are oppressing them.

Interesting book.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Wholesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (07-07-2017), ChloeRose63 (10-16-2017), MindfulMan (07-14-2018), Mklove (10-29-2017), Opivotal (07-07-2017), Soberwolf (10-19-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

I didn't watch the series, as I don't have that streaming service. Excellent reviews.
I am tempted to go back and reread the book, which I read many years ago.
I remember being totally bummed by it, as it was so grim.
But then, Margaret Atwood is no jolly storyteller.
Imo, there has been a steady erosion of all citizens' rights in the US in the last two decades.
My opinion only., of course.
I bet my library has it, but I also bet it's checked out, as I think there has been some renewed interest in the book.
I try not to buy books. Maybe I will check ebike.book for it.
Maudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (07-07-2017), Opivotal (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

I am a book hoarder! I love buying books and I refuse to read off an e-reader.

I agree that there has been an erosion of rights in the US. It's a real shame. People need to start rising up again like they did in the 60's. Unite. I see it here in Canada too, there are things that nobody agrees with and everyone is pissed about but all we do is quietly complain about it in our living rooms and roll over and accept it.

This book has me thinking about religions too. If there is an intelligent God, that force would be tormented over how the human race has twisted and perverted religion to justify our own ends and need for power and dominance over each other. Used religion to be so cruel to our fellow brothers and sisters, to murder and oppress, damning ourselves in the process. If there is a God this is surely not what was intended.

You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Following User Says Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

It's so interesting that this book is more pertinent now than when it was written in the sixties. And, it's fascinating how women lose their rights bit by bit. First the credit card is declined at the coffee shop, then later, she loses her job, and slowly but steadily, women's rights are removed.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Wholesome (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #5 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

Yeah and how they take away reading and writing from women thereby controlling information and thought so even a small thing like a game of Scrabble becomes an act of defiance, to spell and play with words.

Today I take my rights as a woman for granted, rights that previous generations of women fought hard for us to have.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I read it years ago and was struck by how depressing it was. But it was a good read and very significant. More so today.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Wholesome (07-07-2017)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)

Should I bite the bullet and buy it? I have a long plane trip coming up (26+ hours transit time.. MANY layovers) but I'm already halfway through Handmaid's Tale on Netflix..
NClarke2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NClarke2017 For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018)
Old 10-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, if I had a 26 hour plane ride—where are you going? The moon?
Just kidding.—i would buy SEVERAL books.
Maudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), NClarke2017 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 05:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

Yeah nsyap you should def buy it and read it! It was a great book, I read it in a few sittings. The series was awesome too and the book is very true to the series.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Anaya (07-17-2018)
Old 10-16-2017, 01:43 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
Well, if I had a 26 hour plane ride—where are you going? The moon?
Just kidding.—i would buy SEVERAL books.
LOL! So funny. I'm going to my home country in Asia. Tried to save $800ish by picking a flight with many layovers. My mom haaates when I do that, LOL! I think the inconvenience is worth the money because I'm not in a hurry...

I ended up going to Goodwill and picking up Zombie Survival Guide and Cat's Cradle. One of my favorite authors is Vonnegut!

Just finished Handmaid's Tale last night - I made it a priority because there's no Hulu in the country I'm going to.. HAHA. The ambiguous ending drove me mad - I can't WAIT for season 2!!

I heard that season 1 ended where the book left off. This means that season 2 will be totally new material, right? Interesting..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NClarke2017 For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (10-16-2017), least (10-16-2017), Wholesome (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 03:07 PM   #11 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

Yeah that's right, season 2 is going into unchartered territory. I'm looking forward to it too!

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wholesome For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (10-16-2017), NClarke2017 (10-16-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Yeah that's right, season 2 is going into unchartered territory. I'm looking forward to it too!
I'm so curious if they're going to follow June's story, or if they'll change it up and the season will be more about Luke, Moira, etc. I feel like there's so many characters that I would LOVE to see more..

I read on Reddit that Alexis Bledel's character and the Martha that lives with June (forgot her name) got bumped up to season regulars for S2.

I love Serena Joy, but that's probably because I love Yvonne Strahowski from Chuck - I know Serena Joy is totally mad!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NClarke2017 For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-17-2018), Anna (10-16-2017), Wholesome (10-19-2017)
Old 06-07-2018, 01:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

I'm obsessed with the series. It's so well done. That line from the last episode, "Men are afraid women will laugh at them. Women are afraid men will kill them." after Commander Waterford beats Serena for breaking the rules and letting a woman Dr treat the sick baby. It's terrifying just imagining what it would be like to be oppressed like that. The acting is superb, I'm totally hooked.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Opivotal (06-07-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 06:34 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieJean1 View Post
So I decided to read it after watching the new tv series which was fantastic. I'm not too far into the book yet but it has me thinking how easy it could be as women to have all our rights striped from us. It's happened in the Middle East in parts, women back in the 70's were going to university and had choices and careers and then wars broke out and religious fanatics took power and bam! Just like that no more school, no more going out, no more dressing however you want, no more independence. Might makes right and now women become property all under some crazy ideology about protecting them from the very men who are oppressing them.

Interesting book.
In my opinion, this is could conceivably happen. The ability to work and earn a living is what keeps people from having to depend on others.
This is 2018 and still women have to prove themselves 10 times to every one time a man proves himself in the workplace. Men can get away with saying and doing things in a corporate environment that women are not able to. If a man is having a bad day and snaps, we give him the benefit of the doubt. If a women is having a bad day and snaps, she is seen as a abrasive. If a man builds a model, he can expect to get recognition and exposure for his success. If a woman builds a model, she is expected to hand it off to her male coworkers for them to leverage use and get exposure for. If she resists and asks for the same recognition as her male coworkers she is seen as not being a team player.

IMO, we are not so far from slipping backwards. We rely heavily on rational and reasonable people. But what is motivating people to be rational and reasonable - especially if it's not perceived to be in their best interest?

This is a somewhat cynical comment on my part. I do watch the series but it makes me feel very uneasy because I do think it's a conceivable scenario.
StellaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StellaBlu For This Useful Post:
Wholesome (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 AM   #15 (permalink)
Be of sober mind

I don't work in a corporate environment, I'm a union worker, but I experience sexism often. It's not cynical to call a spade a spade. Years ago when I was a single mother, I had a pretty crappy job where my hours weren't guaranteed and my supervisor would not stop hitting on me, at one point he threw something at me and then slammed a door in my face at work when I turned him down again. I needed that job so I just had to take it because the alternative of rocking the boat and reporting harassment would not have worked out in my favor. The good old boys club was real at that job, he went back 20 years with the union, my hours would have been cut and the rest of the guys at work would have stopped trusting me and thinking I was cool.

I've been strangled twice in my life. The first time by my father and the second time by my ex-husband. Both men who were supposed to "protect" me. Violence against women is usually from the men who are closest to them. It's all about power and control. Some sense of entitlement. And the social institutions enable it, the court systems do not properly protect women and children.

My life experiences have put a lot of misandry in my heart. There are good men out there, I'm with one now, but they are hard to find. One's who truly respect and value women. I have a healthy distrust of men and I can spot an abuser from a mile away. And I'll tell you what, the next man who tries to knock me down better hope I stay down, because I'm coming up swinging.

I live in the West too, in Canada, where women have it good. I couldn't imagine living in a country where women are seriously oppressed. Like not even allowed to drive a car or leave the house unchaperoned. Absolute power corrupts absolutely, a quote that is explored well in the series and book.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 06-29-2018, 10:29 AM   #16 (permalink)
Renewed sense of despair at my dirtied-up life

it's actually terrifying how it resonates with the current state of affairs, and the more days pass the more obvious it becomes. I read the book in several sitting and was in awe of Atwood's talent
whatyouwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyouwill View Post
it's actually terrifying how it resonates with the current state of affairs, and the more days pass the more obvious it becomes. I read the book in several sitting and was in awe of Atwood's talent
I completely agree. The book was written in 1985 and yet it couldn't be more pertinent to what is happening right now. It's the way that women's rights are eroded bit by bit, so at first there is no strong reaction. And, by the time reality sets in, it's too late.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 AM   #18 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

I read it back in the 80's and am now watching the series. It's disturbing, to say the least, that as a gay man I would have been executed for gender treachery.

In out current political climate I fear that same gender rights as will die along with reproductive freedoms in parts of the US.

Chilling, scary and germane.
MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
least (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM   #19 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I read this a long time ago but don't want to read it again as just reading the daily news is bad enough to make me depressed.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley

least is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:16 AM   #20 (permalink)

Interesting thread. I will add this book to my list of ones I'd like to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellaBlu View Post
This is 2018 and still women have to prove themselves 10 times to every one time a man proves himself in the workplace. Men can get away with saying and doing things in a corporate environment that women are not able to.
IMO, we are not so far from slipping backwards. We rely heavily on rational and reasonable people. But what is motivating people to be rational and reasonable - especially if it's not perceived to be in their best interest?
To a certain extent, I agree that "and still women have to prove themselves 10 times to every one time a man proves himself in the workplace." Much of my employment has been in settings where women are in the majority - there seems to exist a whole other set of dynamics, having the competition as well but with women, some employ things learned in school days - "mean girl" tactics, using triangulation to manipulate each other, displaying passive-aggressive behavior, etc., you get the idea.

I'm old, so I very well remember back in the day when women were handled more as a commodity than respected as an individual by men and even other women. I have seen much change since then, some of which I can gauge by observing who my daughter is as an educated adult, the opportunities she has now and has had in the past, and I am relieved she "has it better" than I, my mother, and my grandmothers did.

I understand the concern of things slipping back to the way they were pre (I guess) 1970's, but I think women will stick together and resist with all they've got; I just don't see it happening in the US. I could be wrong.