Anna Is Reading... - Page 9 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #161 (permalink)

Why the Right Went Wrong, by E. J. Dionne.
Deep dive into Republican Party politics and shifts from Barry Goldwater to the present.
Very dense read but informative for the political junkies among us.
Vintage Ladybug Farm by Donna Joyce.
The women of Ladybug Farm are going into the wine production business.
Someone at the farm has a secret.
Someone will be leaving forever.
Someone will get married there.
This charming series about three women of a certain age who buy a derelict farm and turn it into a warm and comfortable home is always fun to read.
You Lost Me There, forgot the author.
This is a book about memory and how tricky it can be.
A man loses his wife to an accident. He comes upon her journal and, in reading it, begins to feel that he really didnít know his wife or their life together at all.
I was intrigued by this bookís premise. How many times have we traded memories with someone, only to find that we each have a different memory of the event?
It was disappointing, though. The male character comes across as self absorbed and uncaring, and I felt sorry for his deceased wife. Her life seemed so much richer than his, cut short by her death.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (05-21-2019), least (05-18-2019), MindfulMan (05-23-2019), Opivotal (05-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #162 (permalink)
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Just found this thread. :)

I was browsing around on SoberRecovery and found this thread today. Iím also an avid reader and grateful to be reading your suggestions here. I will definitely try some of these books! Have a wonderful day.
sweetnlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Anna (05-21-2019), least (05-18-2019), Maudcat (05-20-2019), Opivotal (05-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #163 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I was intrigued by this bookís premise. How many times have we traded memories with someone, only to find that we each have a different memory of the event?.
I love that premise too. In fact, I have been astounded at times, in my little family of 4, how very different our memories are.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
least (06-03-2019), Maudcat (05-25-2019), Opivotal (05-21-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #164 (permalink)
Administrator

Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland

I read this author's first book, Need to Know, about a year ago and loved it. It was smart and intriguing. So, I was really happy to know she had published her second book.

I really liked this book as it has many elements I enjoy: political intrigue, scandals, FBI involvement, as well as a personal story about a mother and son that threatens to unravel with the deceit that plays out.

As a single mother there is nothing more frightening that learning that your own child may be suffering in silence. When Steph uncovers a loaded gun in 17 year old Zach's room it sets off a firestorm of questions and accusations.
Is he a terrorist? Is he part of an underground gang? Are drugs involved?
Who is Zach really under it all?

As in her first book, the ending of this novel does not leave things tied up neatly in a bow. I love that.

Marianne Williamson
least (06-03-2019), Opivotal (06-02-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #165 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Just finished reading The World According to Mr Rogers. What a wonderful book, so full of his compassionate wisdom.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
least is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-09-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #166 (permalink)

An Incomplete Revenge, by Jacquelin Winspear. Another in the Maisie Dobbs series, of which I am fond.
This book brings us to the 1920ís as Maisie investigates an estate in Kent. The son of her former employer wishes to purchase it for its bricks manufacturing factory, but the estate has been plagued by frequent acts of arson and thievery. Complicating things is the fact that Londoners and Gypsies travel there to harvest the areaís hops., making for suspicions and doubt on everyoneís part.
Love this series. The protagonist is a strong yet sympathetic character.
These Truths, by Jill Lepore, about the settling of America and the forming of the United States.
This is an extremely readable history text that chronicles, among other things, how the country was built on the backs of slaves, a fact that affects us up to the present day. My only regret is that itís an electronic book, and I doubt I will finish before itís due date, as it is quite a tome!
But Iíll keep plugging.
Fright or Flight, edited by Stephen King.
A book of short horror stories, the common theme, as the title implies, being that they take place on an airplane. There are a couple of classics, like Richard Mathesonís Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (Think Twilight Zone starring a very young William Shatner who sees a monster on the planeís wing) but itís mostly contemporary. There is one by the estimable Joe Hill that absolutely terrified me.
Not because there were monsters, but because itís about nuclear war and North Korea. Scary country, scary stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Anna (06-09-2019), least (06-08-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #167 (permalink)

I like to read memoirs about people in recovery but have to be careful because I tend to think "Well, at least I wasn't that bad." I just read "Drunk Mom" by Jowita Bydlowska. Definitely worth the read.
Zevin is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevin For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-09-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #168 (permalink)

Welcome, Sweetnlow77! What have you been reading lately?
Anna (06-09-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #169 (permalink)
Administrator

Zevin, when I first read Drunk Mom, I liked it a lot, but I felt like she gave too much detail about her neglect of her son. She talked about riding on her bike with him when she was drunk, and she talked about sitting outside in the cold for hours with him, so she could drink. While I didn't think she should hide things from her son, it seemed to me like she gave too much painful detail. After all, he will likely read her book one day. But, yes, it was definitely worth the read.

Marianne Williamson
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Opivotal (06-09-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #170 (permalink)

Hello everyone!
I've just finished a great book called Horns by Joe Hill. I've always been a huge Stephen King fan, and Joe Hill is his son! He writes books and stories in the horror/thriller genre as well that I have been enjoying. The main character in Horns wakes up from a drunken night out to find that he has grown a pair of horns and can now influence people to carry out their darkest wishes. By touching them he knows their dark secrets. Can he use his power to solve the mystery of his girlfriend's murder a year ago? Will he ever go back to being a normal young man again?
Reeeeaaad it!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-14-2019), Maudcat (08-10-2019), Opivotal (06-17-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #171 (permalink)

Anna,
I also enjoyed the collection Flight or Fright compiled by Stephen King. He has a new short novel called Elevation that I found at the library. A man loses weight a little at a time without losing body mass. What will happen?? Note: This book is nothing like his earlier book, Thinner.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Anna (06-14-2019), Maudcat (08-04-2019), Opivotal (06-17-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #172 (permalink)

Anna, I agree about the Mom's neglect of her son was so hard to read. Books like these are the type to make me think at least, " I NEVER did that!" so I have to reel in my feelings of maybe I'm not really an alcoholic.
SweetnLow, Stephen King has a son that's an author? I will download Horns. Thanks!
I wonder what it was like to grow up with Stephen King for a Dad? I bet he told interesting bedtime stories....
Anna (06-27-2019), Opivotal (06-17-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #173 (permalink)

Zevin,
Yes, Stephen kings son Joe Hill is a writer who changed his name so that people wouldnít identify him as Stephen kings son. Stephen son Owen King is also a writer, but I havenít read any of his books yet.
sweetnlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-27-2019), Opivotal (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:56 PM   #174 (permalink)
Administrator

If You Love Me: A Mother's Journey Through Her Daughter's Opioid Addiction
by Maureen Cavanagh

I thought I might find this book somewhat interesting, but I was surprised that I really enjoyed reading it.

This book is a powerful, educational, enlightening document that pulls you in and holds you captive in the heroin epidemic raging in North America. But, it is a hopeful book when you see how those whose lives have been touched and even devastated by addiction, are stepping forward to help those in need, bringing their knowledge and experience to aid others.

Maureen discovers her twenty year old daughter Katie is addicted to heroin. She immediately begins to search for a detox and rehab center and firmly believes she will have her daughter back to normal in days. Of course, it's not that simple. Katie overdoses 13 times, 3 times in 4 days at one point. She goes through countless rehabs and runs away from all of them. Katie begs her mother to give up on her but Maureen supports her daughter through all the chaos, at the same time learning that she is powerless to save Katie.

Marianne Williamson
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
least (06-27-2019), Opivotal (06-27-2019), Zevin (06-27-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:20 PM   #175 (permalink)
Administrator

Under My Skin by Lisa Unger.

Lisa Unger is a favourite author of mine, though it's been awhile since I've read something of hers. All of her books I've read have been really good!

Poppy was a good character who was dealing with the fact that her husband was murdered and the case hasn't been solved. After his murder, she had a breakdown and had to get help from a counsellor as well as medication to help her sleep. Poppy's friend Layla gives her more pills and Poppy also adds alcohol to the mix.

Poppy thinks someone is following her, but she is no longer sure what is real and what is imagined. She tries to get off the pills and get a handle on what is really happening. All in all, a very suspenseful and interesting book.

Marianne Williamson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (07-28-2019), Opivotal (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #176 (permalink)
Administrator

A Natural Woman: A Memoir by Carole King

So, back to my favourite genre - I loved this book. Carole makes it clear she wrote this book and wanted it be in her voice. That was a great selling point for me.

Reading this book was like sitting in Carole's living room, listening to her. She is humble and down to earth. I found it interesting how she kind of dropped out and moved off the grid, literally, and lived a quite isolated life for awhile, But, she never seemed able to live without a man in her life, whether he was a good influence or not. She married four times, and, it surprised me that she lived in an abusive relationship for quite some time.

Marianne Williamson
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (07-28-2019), Opivotal (07-20-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:58 AM   #177 (permalink)

Confederates in the Attic, by Tony Horowitz.
The author was fascinated by the War between the States as a child.
As an adult, he falls in with some serious war re-enactors and decides to go on a pilgrimage to civil war battle sites. Along the way he meets and talks to southern residents about their homes, the war, and how they feel about it today.
This was a real interesting book, though I must say that he wrote it 21 years ago, and things may not be the same as back then.
Tony Horowitz wrote a similar book, Spying on the South, recently. I am on a waiting list for it.
Side note, while on a book tour for Spying, the author suddenly died. I assume it was his heart. Very sad.
Iím still clipping through the Maisel Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear, but I may be done with it after reading The Mapping of Love and Death.
Kind of formulaic by now, and it just didnít hold my attention.
I havenít been reading much this summer, other than catching up on old New Yorker magazines. Thatís a job and a half!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (07-28-2019), Opivotal (08-04-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #178 (permalink)

The Women in the Castle by Joanna Shattuck.
In Germany, at the start of WW II, aristocratic Marianne is asked by her best friend to find and care for the women who will be widowed when their husbands try and fail to assassinate Hitler.
Her childhood friend Conrad (Connie) and her husband Albrecht are two of the plotters who are tried and hanged.
Marianne, who is more in love with Connie than her husband, tries to carry out Connie’s wish.
This was, to me, a fascinating look at post war Germany. I learned so much! It is a work of fiction, but the acknowledgements page indicate the author did much research. She admits it took her seven years to write it. Very good and sad at times read .
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (08-04-2019)
Old 08-10-2019, 10:56 AM   #179 (permalink)

Sweet low, I LOVE Joe Hill’s work. I watched the AMC adaptation of Nos4ratu, but didn’t like it quite as much as the book.
I liked Elevation, too.
I have always been a Stephen King fan, but sometimes he minesthe same old tropes. Hill’s writing is a fresher, more contemporary take on things.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #180 (permalink)

Sweetnlow, sorry. Didnít get that quite right.
Curse you, autocorrect!