Anna Is Reading... - Page 9 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2019, 05:22 AM   #161 (permalink)

Why the Right Went Wrong, by E. J. Dionne.
Deep dive into Republican Party politics and shifts from Barry Goldwater to the present.
Very dense read but informative for the political junkies among us.
Vintage Ladybug Farm by Donna Joyce.
The women of Ladybug Farm are going into the wine production business.
Someone at the farm has a secret.
Someone will be leaving forever.
Someone will get married there.
This charming series about three women of a certain age who buy a derelict farm and turn it into a warm and comfortable home is always fun to read.
You Lost Me There, forgot the author.
This is a book about memory and how tricky it can be.
A man loses his wife to an accident. He comes upon her journal and, in reading it, begins to feel that he really didnít know his wife or their life together at all.
I was intrigued by this bookís premise. How many times have we traded memories with someone, only to find that we each have a different memory of the event?
It was disappointing, though. The male character comes across as self absorbed and uncaring, and I felt sorry for his deceased wife. Her life seemed so much richer than his, cut short by her death.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (05-21-2019), least (05-18-2019), MindfulMan (05-23-2019), Opivotal (05-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:28 AM   #162 (permalink)
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Just found this thread. :)

I was browsing around on SoberRecovery and found this thread today. Iím also an avid reader and grateful to be reading your suggestions here. I will definitely try some of these books! Have a wonderful day.
sweetnlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Anna (05-21-2019), least (05-18-2019), Maudcat (05-20-2019), Opivotal (05-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 05-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #163 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maudcat View Post
I was intrigued by this bookís premise. How many times have we traded memories with someone, only to find that we each have a different memory of the event?.
I love that premise too. In fact, I have been astounded at times, in my little family of 4, how very different our memories are.
My life is worth the living, I dont need to see the end.

John Denver
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
least (06-03-2019), Maudcat (05-25-2019), Opivotal (05-21-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #164 (permalink)
Administrator

Keep You Close by Karen Cleveland

I read this author's first book, Need to Know, about a year ago and loved it. It was smart and intriguing. So, I was really happy to know she had published her second book.

I really liked this book as it has many elements I enjoy: political intrigue, scandals, FBI involvement, as well as a personal story about a mother and son that threatens to unravel with the deceit that plays out.

As a single mother there is nothing more frightening that learning that your own child may be suffering in silence. When Steph uncovers a loaded gun in 17 year old Zach's room it sets off a firestorm of questions and accusations.
Is he a terrorist? Is he part of an underground gang? Are drugs involved?
Who is Zach really under it all?

As in her first book, the ending of this novel does not leave things tied up neatly in a bow. I love that.

John Denver
least (06-03-2019), Opivotal (06-02-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-03-2019, 02:35 PM   #165 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

Just finished reading The World According to Mr Rogers. What a wonderful book, so full of his compassionate wisdom.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-09-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #166 (permalink)

An Incomplete Revenge, by Jacquelin Winspear. Another in the Maisie Dobbs series, of which I am fond.
This book brings us to the 1920ís as Maisie investigates an estate in Kent. The son of her former employer wishes to purchase it for its bricks manufacturing factory, but the estate has been plagued by frequent acts of arson and thievery. Complicating things is the fact that Londoners and Gypsies travel there to harvest the areaís hops., making for suspicions and doubt on everyoneís part.
Love this series. The protagonist is a strong yet sympathetic character.
These Truths, by Jill Lepore, about the settling of America and the forming of the United States.
This is an extremely readable history text that chronicles, among other things, how the country was built on the backs of slaves, a fact that affects us up to the present day. My only regret is that itís an electronic book, and I doubt I will finish before itís due date, as it is quite a tome!
But Iíll keep plugging.
Fright or Flight, edited by Stephen King.
A book of short horror stories, the common theme, as the title implies, being that they take place on an airplane. There are a couple of classics, like Richard Mathesonís Nightmare at 20,000 Feet (Think Twilight Zone starring a very young William Shatner who sees a monster on the planeís wing) but itís mostly contemporary. There is one by the estimable Joe Hill that absolutely terrified me.
Not because there were monsters, but because itís about nuclear war and North Korea. Scary country, scary stuff.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Anna (06-09-2019), least (06-08-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:39 PM   #167 (permalink)

I like to read memoirs about people in recovery but have to be careful because I tend to think "Well, at least I wasn't that bad." I just read "Drunk Mom" by Jowita Bydlowska. Definitely worth the read.
Zevin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevin For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-09-2019), Opivotal (06-08-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 10:46 PM   #168 (permalink)

Welcome, Sweetnlow77! What have you been reading lately?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zevin For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-09-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-09-2019, 01:07 PM   #169 (permalink)
Administrator

Zevin, when I first read Drunk Mom, I liked it a lot, but I felt like she gave too much detail about her neglect of her son. She talked about riding on her bike with him when she was drunk, and she talked about sitting outside in the cold for hours with him, so she could drink. While I didn't think she should hide things from her son, it seemed to me like she gave too much painful detail. After all, he will likely read her book one day. But, yes, it was definitely worth the read.

John Denver
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Opivotal (06-09-2019), sweetnlow77 (06-13-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #170 (permalink)

Hello everyone!
I've just finished a great book called Horns by Joe Hill. I've always been a huge Stephen King fan, and Joe Hill is his son! He writes books and stories in the horror/thriller genre as well that I have been enjoying. The main character in Horns wakes up from a drunken night out to find that he has grown a pair of horns and can now influence people to carry out their darkest wishes. By touching them he knows their dark secrets. Can he use his power to solve the mystery of his girlfriend's murder a year ago? Will he ever go back to being a normal young man again?
Reeeeaaad it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-14-2019), Opivotal (06-17-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:03 AM   #171 (permalink)

Anna,
I also enjoyed the collection Flight or Fright compiled by Stephen King. He has a new short novel called Elevation that I found at the library. A man loses weight a little at a time without losing body mass. What will happen?? Note: This book is nothing like his earlier book, Thinner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sweetnlow77 For This Useful Post:
Alysheba (06-21-2019), Anna (06-14-2019), Opivotal (06-17-2019), Zevin (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #172 (permalink)

Anna, I agree about the Mom's neglect of her son was so hard to read. Books like these are the type to make me think at least, " I NEVER did that!" so I have to reel in my feelings of maybe I'm not really an alcoholic.
SweetnLow, Stephen King has a son that's an author? I will download Horns. Thanks!
I wonder what it was like to grow up with Stephen King for a Dad? I bet he told interesting bedtime stories....
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevin For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (06-17-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:07 AM   #173 (permalink)

Zevin,
Yes, Stephen kings son Joe Hill is a writer who changed his name so that people wouldnít identify him as Stephen kings son. Stephen son Owen King is also a writer, but I havenít read any of his books yet.
sweetnlow77 is offline   Reply With Quote