Anna Is Reading... - Page 8 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #141 (permalink)

I think CNN is doing a special based on her book.
Stephen king wrote a short story, the title escapes me just now, about a woman who accidentally discovers that her husband is a killer of women, and has been for a long time.
It's a real interesting, if chilling read. It's in his Full Dark, No Stars story collection published in 2010.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (02-08-2019), Opivotal (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #142 (permalink)

Force of Nature by Jane Harper.
On a leadership retreat, 5 women go hiking into the Australian outback.
Only 4 return.
This is the story of what happened on that hike, which was supposed to be an easy day hike that turns into a survival ordeal.
I have recently discovered this writer, and hope to read more.
Did I mention The Library Book, by Susan Orlean?
It's the true story of a large library fire in Los Angeles, but the headline got pushed aside because it happened on the same day of the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.
It's a book about libraries and people, the people who work in them and the people who use them.
It's terrific.
We lived on the outskirts of town when I was young. My mother didn't drive, so I didn't often have the opportunity to visit the library in town.
I lived for bookmobile visits.
I still remember how nice the library ladies were.
Opivotal (02-11-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 07:10 AM   #143 (permalink)

Keep Me Safe by Maya Banks.
Ramie has ways of finding people that others don't, but her special powers come at a cost. In locating kidnap victims, she loses a part of herself.
Boy, I would love to say that I liked this book. I am a big fan of Jayne Ann Krentz, and this seemed to be that type of book.
Alas, no.
part psychic powers mishmash, part bodice ripping romance, part crazed stalker out to destroy the women with whom he comes into contact, the book was just not readable for me.
I have grown weary of the women as victims trope that permeates books and visual media these days.
Opivotal (02-11-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 09:30 PM   #144 (permalink)

Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear.
Maisie Dobbs is a private investigator in post WWI London.
Her experience as a field nurse during the war make her uniquely empathetic to the issues faced by people attempting to patch up their lives after a devastating war that killed a great percentage of those who fought.
It's early days on this first of a few Maisie Dobbs books for me, but so far I am enjoying it immensely. The author gets the period details just right, imo, and captures the zeitgeist of a country that lost a whole generation of its men.
A film that I love a lot, "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a day" with Frances Mc Dormand, Amy Adams, and Ciaran Hinds is in the same period and captures that same melancholy yet gotta keep going feeling.
And I have a family connection: my grandfather, who was English, but had become an American citizen, joined the Canadian army so that he could fight in the war. I still have some of his commemorative medals from that time.
And, btw, family lore has it that my grandmother was NOT happy with his patriotic act. They had children and she worried that he would be killed.
Opivotal (02-12-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #145 (permalink)

Just read the second in the Maisie Dobbs series, Birds of a feather, and enjoyed it very much.
Then a book by Lauren Willig, the Ashford Affair.
Clemmie is a hard working attorney striving to make partner when a new haircut causes her confused grandmother to make a mysterious comment about something in the family's past. Clemmie begins to investigate family history and secrets.
This is actually two stories, one contemporary and one taking place at the beginning of the 20th century. Lauren Willig is best known for her flower themed historical fiction about women living in regency England becoming involved in spying and other intrigues. She is very enjoyable.
Last, Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. If you are not familiar with Brown and her research about vulnerability, shame and resilience, check out her TED talk. She has a lot to say about women and body image, men always having to be strong, and how it is possible to live what she calls a wholehearted, authentic life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (02-18-2019)