Anna Is Reading... - Page 8 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2019, 04:45 PM   #141 (permalink)

I think CNN is doing a special based on her book.
Stephen king wrote a short story, the title escapes me just now, about a woman who accidentally discovers that her husband is a killer of women, and has been for a long time.
It's a real interesting, if chilling read. It's in his Full Dark, No Stars story collection published in 2010.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (02-08-2019), Opivotal (02-08-2019)
Old 02-08-2019, 05:01 PM   #142 (permalink)

Force of Nature by Jane Harper.
On a leadership retreat, 5 women go hiking into the Australian outback.
Only 4 return.
This is the story of what happened on that hike, which was supposed to be an easy day hike that turns into a survival ordeal.
I have recently discovered this writer, and hope to read more.
Did I mention The Library Book, by Susan Orlean?
It's the true story of a large library fire in Los Angeles, but the headline got pushed aside because it happened on the same day of the Chernobyl nuclear meltdown.
It's a book about libraries and people, the people who work in them and the people who use them.
It's terrific.
We lived on the outskirts of town when I was young. My mother didn't drive, so I didn't often have the opportunity to visit the library in town.
I lived for bookmobile visits.
I still remember how nice the library ladies were.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-11-2019), trailmix (02-27-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:10 AM   #143 (permalink)

Keep Me Safe by Maya Banks.
Ramie has ways of finding people that others don't, but her special powers come at a cost. In locating kidnap victims, she loses a part of herself.
Boy, I would love to say that I liked this book. I am a big fan of Jayne Ann Krentz, and this seemed to be that type of book.
Alas, no.
part psychic powers mishmash, part bodice ripping romance, part crazed stalker out to destroy the women with whom he comes into contact, the book was just not readable for me.
I have grown weary of the women as victims trope that permeates books and visual media these days.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-11-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #144 (permalink)

Maisie Dobbs, by Jacqueline Winspear.
Maisie Dobbs is a private investigator in post WWI London.
Her experience as a field nurse during the war make her uniquely empathetic to the issues faced by people attempting to patch up their lives after a devastating war that killed a great percentage of those who fought.
It's early days on this first of a few Maisie Dobbs books for me, but so far I am enjoying it immensely. The author gets the period details just right, imo, and captures the zeitgeist of a country that lost a whole generation of its men.
A film that I love a lot, "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a day" with Frances Mc Dormand, Amy Adams, and Ciaran Hinds is in the same period and captures that same melancholy yet gotta keep going feeling.
And I have a family connection: my grandfather, who was English, but had become an American citizen, joined the Canadian army so that he could fight in the war. I still have some of his commemorative medals from that time.
And, btw, family lore has it that my grandmother was NOT happy with his patriotic act. They had children and she worried that he would be killed.
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-12-2019), Zevin (02-11-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 01:29 PM   #145 (permalink)

Just read the second in the Maisie Dobbs series, Birds of a feather, and enjoyed it very much.
Then a book by Lauren Willig, the Ashford Affair.
Clemmie is a hard working attorney striving to make partner when a new haircut causes her confused grandmother to make a mysterious comment about something in the family's past. Clemmie begins to investigate family history and secrets.
This is actually two stories, one contemporary and one taking place at the beginning of the 20th century. Lauren Willig is best known for her flower themed historical fiction about women living in regency England becoming involved in spying and other intrigues. She is very enjoyable.
Last, Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. If you are not familiar with Brown and her research about vulnerability, shame and resilience, check out her TED talk. She has a lot to say about women and body image, men always having to be strong, and how it is possible to live what she calls a wholehearted, authentic life.
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 02-22-2019, 07:18 PM   #146 (permalink)

Untouchable, by Jayne Ann Krentz.
Winter has a special talent, the talent to hypnotize. When it is clear that a mad man is after her talent, she pairs up with hunky James, who has talents of his own and is on the trail of the elusive Zane, Winter's stalker,
Romance ensues.
I love Jayne Ann Krentz. Not only is she a prolific writer, her books always have a sly, tongue in cheek vibe.
She is one of the cadre of writers, like Kay Bishop and Tami Hoag, who began as straight romance writers who branched out into paranormal or suspense themes.
Always fun to read.
This next one is going to sound political, but I am not taking a side one way or the other, so I hope you will bear with me and don't judge.
Mr. Trump's Wild Ride by Garrett Major.
Garrett Major is the CBS White House correspondent, and has covered the White House for several years. His book covers the first year of Donald Trump's presidency.
He is even handed in his description of the year, detailing the administration's successes and failures. The book is less about the presidency and more a deep dive into politics and the legislative process, something of which I am woefully ignorant, despite many civics and American Government courses in college. Never can keep the three branches of government straight.
I gained insight regarding our connection to Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Iran.
All in all, a very interesting read. Garrett is a true legislative wonk.
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-22-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 05:05 AM   #147 (permalink)

Happiness Sold Separately, by Lolly Winston.
Elinor and Ted cannot have children, and this fact has affected their marriage. Elinor throws herself into her work, while Ted works on getting physically fit.
Ted meets an attractive trainer at the gym, and complications set in.
How people cope with loss and reach contentment is this novel's premise.
This is a new writer and subject for me, so wasn't sure if I would like this book.
Turns out it is about the bonds of family, love, coping with the sad realities of life, an, ultimately, learning to be happy. Winston has a dry sense of humor that is appealing to me.
Side note: one of the characters is involved, for a while, with an alcohol addict. How the relationship goes from affection and caring to anger and betrayal is a good portrait of alcoholic behavior, demonstrating that people with addictions are both good and bad for those within their orbits.
Anna (02-27-2019), Opivotal (02-25-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:15 PM   #148 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks, Maudcat, for lots of great book ideas.

Prisoner by Jason Rezaian

Back to my favourite genre, memoir, and this is such an intriguing book. Jason Rezaian, Washington Post Tehran bureau chief, was arrested by Iranian police in July 2014. He was accused of spying for America and was a pawn in Iranís game for leverage over the US.

Jason was held in a Tehran jail for almost two years. This isn't a book about physical torture, but about the mental anguish of being held captive and, the weight of not knowing when, or if, you would ever be released. He was held alone in solitary confinement and later kept out of the general prison population, separated from his wife and loved ones, separated from all life outside.
My life is worth the living, I dont need to see the end.

John Denver
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (02-28-2019), Opivotal (02-27-2019), trailmix (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #149 (permalink)
Administrator

Finding Grace by K.L. Slater

This is one of my favourite authors having written Blink, Closer, Liar, Safe With Me and The Visitor. Kim Slater has a knack of taking what appears to be an ordinary family situation and pulling it apart to show the scars of her characters.

The story begins shortly after Grace's 9th birthday and it's the first time her parents have allowed her to do the 5-minute walk home from her friend's house all by herself. Grace is pushing her boundaries and thrilled when her parents reluctantly agree. She never makes it home.

Lucie, Grace's mother, says "I think this might be my fault. I've tried to be a good person all my life. I made one mistake, many years ago, but it wasn't my fault. Truly, I would never wish to harm another person."

John Denver
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (02-28-2019), Opivotal (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #150 (permalink)
Administrator

The Unwinding of the Miracle by Julie Yip-Williams A Memoir of Life, Death, and Everything That Comes After

Another great memoir.

Julie is in her late thirties, a lawyer, married with two young daughters, when she is diagnosed with colon cancer. But this is not just a book for cancer survivors. This is a story of a young woman who refuses to feel sorry for herself, but rather focuses on spending time with her children, bringing a puppy into the family and just generally living.

Julie spends time planning for how to ease the loss for her daughters when she dies. She plans for her sister, who is not married and has no children, to move into the house for some months until her husband and daughters adjust. Julie is a Type A personality and it brings her much comfort to know that her girls will be able to carry on music lessons, sports, etc after she dies.

The thing with cancer is that you can't let it win. And, that doesn't mean you won't die from it, because many do. But, mentally, you can win and that is what Julie strives for.

John Denver
Maudcat (02-28-2019), Opivotal (03-02-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 03-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #151 (permalink)
Administrator

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...1&d=1551541828
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D0qXoEyWkAAzti4.jpg (25.5 KB, 48 views)

John Denver
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (03-02-2019), Midwest1981 (03-27-2019), murrill (04-19-2019), Opivotal (03-02-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #152 (permalink)
Administrator

Solitary by Albert Woodfox

This is a memoir that is unforgettable. It's the life story of a man who served more than four decades, 43 years, in solitary confinement--in a 6-foot by 9-foot cell, 23 hours a day, in notorious Angola prison in Louisiana--all for a crime he did not commit.

To stay sane, Albert made a vow with 2 other prisoners, who became known as the Angola Three, that they would remain strong and grow as men despite the obvious injustice and torture. ďOur resistance gave us an identity. Our identity gave us strength. Our strength gave us an unbreakable will.Ē

"After years in prison in solitary confinement, I experienced all the emotions the Louisiana department of Public Safety and Corrections wanted from me - anger, bitterness, the thirst to see someone suffer the way I was suffering, the revenge factor, all that. But I also became something they didn't want or expect - self-educated. I could lose myself in a book. Reading was a bright spot for me. Reading was my salvation."

John Denver
Opivotal (03-28-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #153 (permalink)
Administrator

By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitzby Max Eisen

This is a memoir/bio and such a great story. It just won the Canada Reads Award for 2019!

Max was a 15-year old boy in Czechoslovakia in 1944 when his family was picked up by German soldiers and sent to Auschwitz. Immediately on arrival at the Death Camp, his mother and siblings were murdered. For two months, he had some contact with his father and uncle (also at Auschwitz) until they too, were murdered.

I felt the intense loneliness of this boy, who at 15, was completely alone in the worst place in the world. The story of how he survived, through courage and sheer luck, is astounding.

At age 18, still alone, he was able to move to Canada. Even though he knew little English and had no support, he managed to build a life for himself. He is now in his mid-80's, living in Toronto, and intent on spreading the word of forgiveness and inclusion.

Max

John Denver
least (04-11-2019), Opivotal (04-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #154 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

I am reading the little book The World According to Mr Rogers. I like his thoughts and insights. This is a great book.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
least is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Anna (04-12-2019), Opivotal (04-13-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #155 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

The more I read this book, the more I like it. Mr Rogers is one of my heroes, right up there with MLK Jr and Gandhi. I highly recommend it for some inspirational reading.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Anna (04-25-2019), Opivotal (04-18-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 06:38 AM   #156 (permalink)

The Lost Man, by Jane Harper.
Cameron Bright is found dead in the Australian outback, a victim of dehydration and heatstroke.
But Cam was an experienced native, and his car, found later, is stocked with food and water.
What happened out there, and why? Camís brothers, Nathan and Bub, are determined to find out, even if it means digging into some ugly family secrets.
I cannot praise this writer enough. She is excellent. Her portrait of a region where life is unforgiving and one wrong step can mean death is haunting. Harperís books are set in Australia, and are top notch mystery/thrillers. I canít wait for her next novel.
Anna (04-25-2019), least (04-22-2019), Opivotal (04-22-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #157 (permalink)
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed The Lost Man, Maudcat. I'm still waiting to get it from the library.

John Denver
least (04-25-2019), Opivotal (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #158 (permalink)
Administrator

Saving Meghan by D.J. Palmer

Becky Gerard is a devoted mother who would do anything for her only child, Meghan. But, some claim she's obsessed. Her daughter has a mysterious illness and Becky can't stop the vicious circle of finding a cure. And, her daughter is suffering for her mother's obsession.

Most of the doctors seem to think that Meghan doesn’t have an illness and this is a case of Munchausen Syndrome by proxy. They think that Meghan's mom Becky is making her daughter sick. The family is divided, the doctors at odds, and a young girl is caught in the middle. This book leaves you guessing about who is guilty until the very end.

John Denver
least (04-25-2019), Opivotal (04-25-2019), Zevin (06-08-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #159 (permalink)
Administrator

Least, I'm waiting to get the Mr. Rogers book, too. It seems like he was an amazing person.

John Denver
least (04-25-2019), Opivotal (04-25-2019)
Old 04-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #160 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

In addition to his television show, he was also an ordained minister and a licensed pilot. I have always liked his show and remember my kids watching it when they were little.