Anna Is Reading... - Page 5 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #81 (permalink)
Administrator

The Bad Daughter by Joy Fielding

Joy Fielding is one of my very favourite authors. I just looked at her bio and I have read 23 of her books starting in 1981. What I love about her books is that they are generally about something extraordinary happening to a very normal family. This makes the characters completely relatable, and a lot of her stories involve mothers and daughters and the complexities that follow.

Robin is a psychologist who has been somewhat distanced from her family. Out of the blue she receives a call informing her that her father, stepmother & stepsister have been shot in an apparent home invasion. This is a slow-burning suspenseful book with a lot of emphasis on characters and relationships. It kept me interested, involved and guessing.

I have never been disappointed with one of her books!
My life is worth the living, I dont need to see the end.

John Denver
Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Anaya (07-18-2018), Opivotal (03-14-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #82 (permalink)
Administrator

If You Knew Her by Emily Elgar

The story is told through the eyes of three people who are in the same Coma Unit in the Hospital. Alice is a nurse, very dedicated and professional, but struggling with the knowledge that she will never be able to have a baby. Frank is her patient. He is an alcoholic who had a severe stroke, and has been in a coma for months. Frank's mind is functioning perfectly, but he is unable to move or even blink. Alice is the only nurse who believes he has hope.

Cassie is a young woman, a coma patient, badly injured in a car accident and a few months pregnant. Was it an accident or attempted murder?

Frank who shares a room with Cassie can hear everything going on around him yet he can not talk to say this is what is going on. Frank is desperate to be heard yet he knows there is nothing he can do to protect Cassie.

This is a tense, creepy, and disturbing tale of love, loss, and betrayal.

John Denver
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (03-20-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 11:52 AM   #83 (permalink)
Administrator

The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances

This is the first book this author has written and I loved it. This book is suspenseful, but is also a family drama.

Daniel is a medical student just beginning his residency. He is a wealthy young man with a great career ahead of him. He meets Cherry, a real estate agent, who is determined to find her way out of a poor upbringing, to lead the life she feels she deserves. Laura, Daniel's mother, is very lonely and therefore overly involved in Daniel's life. Laura does not like Cherry and Cherry sees Laura as an obstacle to get what she wants. The cat and mouse games between mother and girlfriend carry on, while Daniel tries to work out which one of them is telling the truth.

John Denver
Opivotal (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #84 (permalink)

Just finished The Grave’s a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley. This is a series set in 1950s England and stars Flavia DeLuce, a teenage science and chemistry student, and expert in poisons, who manages to get caught up in murder investigations by the local constabulary.
Given to epithets like “Boil me in butter,” and “Ye gods and little fishes,” when confounded, she is quite the eccentric charmer.
Maudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (03-25-2018)
Old 03-25-2018, 06:25 PM   #85 (permalink)
Administrator

Maudcat, I know that author. I've read 'The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie', which was very good. I think he won an award for that book as 'The Best First Novel'.

John Denver
Maudcat (03-26-2018), Opivotal (03-25-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 07:05 AM   #86 (permalink)

No doubt, Anna. Bradley’s was an original voice, though the books have become somewhat formulaic.
It happens.
I’m now reading A Place of Execution by Val McDermid.
One of my favorite airhors; husband used to like her but now feels she overwrites.
Personally, I think a lot of writers overwrite, but that doesn’t stop me reading.
Maudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Opivotal (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 02:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
Administrator

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Omigosh, this book was delicious. How can you not love a book that starts with this statement:

There are three things you should know about me:
1. I'm in a coma.
2. My husband doesn't love me any more.
3. Sometimes I lie.

One of my favourite quotes from the book 'I tread carefully over a carpet of lies, trying not to disturb them'.

Alice is in a coma at the outset of the book, and the two other major characters are her husband and her sister.

This is Alice Feeney's first novel and I hope there are more to come. I'm not often impressed by an author's writing style, but I loved this author's writing.

This is a story that will have you questioning what you believe about the characters time and time again.

John Denver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (04-01-2018), suki44883 (04-01-2018), Zevin (10-29-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 05:40 PM   #88 (permalink)
Administrator

Don't Tell a Soul by D.K. Hood

This book is a debut novel by D.K. Hood. It sounded promising, a psychological thriller, so I jumped in. I was all prepared for a crime thriller with a strong female lead and that's not what I got.

The two characters, Jenna Alton and David Kane both having secret pasts and are in the witness protection program. How they end up working together in the same small town seemed an unfathomable coincidence, one that the readers asked to swallow from the start. I went with it, waiting to see how the story comes together, but it’s only touched on troughout the book and not evolved at all.

Never have I read about a female cop who behaved so childishly. No professional woman would act like this or they would be fired. It seemed like when she met Kane, she turned into a simpering female who was now leaving her alarms off, her curtains open and not carrying her phone. All the while, she was waiting to be saved by Kane.

John Denver
Opivotal (04-15-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 01:07 PM   #89 (permalink)

The Flight Attendant by: Chris Bohjalian

I'm currently reading this book and finding it quite engrossing. The main character ( Cassandra ) is a flight attendant, who blacks out ( she has a drinking problem ) and wakes up to find the man she'd slept with the night before, murdered beside her in the bed.

Cassandra's excessive drinking and resulting bad choices are mind boggling.

Pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pondlady For This Useful Post:
least (04-30-2018), Opivotal (04-30-2018)
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM   #90 (permalink)
Administrator

Oh, I've been searching for that book because it sounded so good. Now, I know I must have it. Off to look again...

John Denver
Opivotal (05-01-2018)
Old 05-10-2018, 06:41 PM   #91 (permalink)
Administrator

Her Last Lie by Amanda Brittany

I read this book while on vacation and finished it in a couple of days. It's the first book I've read by this author and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Six years ago, Isla was a victim of a serial killer who had killed three women. She managed to escape with her life, but faced a long road of healing emotionally. She had to deal with a trial resulting in the killers conviction and then an appeal and subsequent trial.

Rather suddenly, Isla's life begins to derail and fall apart. She begins to doubt herself and her sanity. She questions her relationships and close friendships and is unsure about it all. Isla becomes paranoid and irrational, but is she imagining what is happening in her life? There is good character development and the plot definitely kept me guessing.

John Denver
Maudcat (05-14-2018), Opivotal (05-10-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #92 (permalink)
Administrator

The Good Liar by Catherine McKenzie

Now, this was an amazing read. This is how a psychological thriller should be written.

There are three characters, each telling their story, Cecily, Kate, and Franny. The big question is out of three, which one is the good liar.

There are lots of secrets in this story. All of these woman are guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them. This book is intense and delightfully twisted. I was second-guessing myself during the whole book.

John Denver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Maudcat (05-14-2018), Opivotal (05-14-2018), whatyouwill (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #93 (permalink)
Administrator

I'll Be Gone In The Dark by Michelle McNamara

I am SO excited by this book, I'm posting before I've finished reading. This book is True Crime, along with the memoir of the author - a perfect combination for me.

Michelle McNamara was a woman obsessed with cold case murders and she wrote articles for magazines and had a true crime blog. She stumbled upon the case of the Golden State Killer and became obsessed and consumed with trying to solve the case.

The Golden State Killer operated from 1974 to 1986 in California, including Sacramento, Santa Barbara and Irvine. He burgled 120 homes, raped 50 women and murdered 12 people. And, he completely evaded capture.

Due to the book Michelle wrote and things she discovered, the case was solved. On April 25, 2018 at age 72, he was captured and imprisoned. Michelle, unfortunately did not live to see the results of her intense work. She died in April 2016 and her book, which was almost finished at that time, was published after she died.

Interestingly, Michelle, who was married to Hollywood star Patton Oswalt, died in her bed at age 46. She had Adderall, Xanax and Fentanyl in her body. Those drugs, combined with some arterial blockages, killed her. Her husband said she struggled with depression.

I will post more about the book when I finish reading.

John Denver
Opivotal (05-29-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #94 (permalink)

I have seen other good reviews of this book, Anna. Not usually into true crime, but I may pick it up.
I just finished When by Daniel Pink, about how our cognitive functions can change based on time of day.
I know that I cannot make decisions about anything in the 3:00 vicinity.
I have brain fog.
I have also returned to a Dean Koontz thriller series with fbi agent jane hawk.
I used to love Dean Koontz u til he started the Odd Thomas series. Then I fell away.
Opivotal (05-29-2018)
Old 05-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #95 (permalink)
Administrator

I used to love Dean Koontz, too, but couldn't bother with the Odd Thomas series.

James Joseph DeAngelo, the Golden State Killer, was a former Police Officer and an angry and bitter man. He spent 12 years of his life terrorizing residents of California and only stopped at that point because he could no longer vault over high fences and disappear into the dark as he got older.

This will give you a sense of what he was like - when he burgled, raped and murdered, he also ransacked the home. He didn't steal cash or electronics. He took family photos from the mantle and threw them into the swimming pool. He took family scrap books and ripped them into pieces and threw them into trash cans.

DeAngelo is in jail now. I strongly suspect he will plead not guilty, even though DNA is a slam-dunk. I think he will want to put the state of California through an expensive trial just because. His crimes have cost California more money and man-power than any other criminal.

John Denver
Opivotal (05-31-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #96 (permalink)
Administrator

The Sun Does Shine by Anthony Ray Hinton (Non-Fiction Memoir)

This is one of the most inspirational books I have ever read.

Anthony Ray Hinton was arrested and charged with two murders in 1985. He was completely innocent of all charges, not just 'not guilty'. He had a solid, airtight alibi and there was no physical evidence. But, he was a poor, black man in Alabama and he faced a white judge and an all-white jury. He was convicted and sentenced to death. He spent 30 years on Death Row before he was released at age 58.

This is a story which is appalling, incredibly sad, and yet shows the shining spirit of this man who managed to keep his sanity in the face of terrible adversity. This is a book of pain, suffering and ultimately, redemption.

John Denver
Opivotal (06-15-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 08:13 PM   #97 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Anna, I saw Anthony Ray Hinton on the news with Oprah.

Here's the video if anyone wants to watch.

I've got the book on order.

Can't wait to read it!

Opivotal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Opivotal For This Useful Post:
Anna (06-15-2018)
Old 06-29-2018, 06:36 PM   #98 (permalink)
Administrator

The Date by Louise Jensen

This is my third Louise Jensen book (The Surrogate, The Sister) and by far, the best.

Ali Taylor wakes up battered and bruised after a date she doesn't remember. Recently separated from her husband she was reluctant to go on the date with a man she had been talking to on line and now she's woken up to a nightmare. She covered in blood but she has a bad head injury which has caused her to not be able to recognize her own face or anyone's face.

This book is a character driven psychological thriller that will keep you guessing.
Louise Jensen never fails to amaze me with her talent and infinite imagination. This is an intelligent story and I love her descriptions of people and places, which always pull me in.

John Denver
Opivotal (07-22-2018)
Old 07-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #99 (permalink)
Administrator

The Flight Attendant by Chris Bohjalian

Cassie is an alcoholic who has blackouts. She is also a Flight Attendant who flies internationally. Can you imagine the complexities in the life of an alcoholic who is staying in different hotels, in different cities, seeing different men? Cassie is drinking way too much, punctuated by emotionless nights in beds of total strangers during her layovers. One day she wakes up and the man next to her is dead, in fact, has been murdered. And, she can't remember anything.

This is a great book which truly captures the self-destructive behaviour of an alcoholic. The characters aren't immensely likable, but it works in this book. It requires full attention.

John Denver
Opivotal (07-22-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #100 (permalink)

The October List by Jeffery Deaver.
Deaver is one of my faves, mostly for the twists and turns and misdirection that pervade the plots.
The October List is a few years old, and I don’t know how I missed it, as I usually jump on a Deaver book right away.
The book is written backwards.
That is, the first chapter is actually the end. The last chapter is the beginning.
The story is told from Sunday to the previous Friday.
Each chapter has a time heading that is several minutes or hours from the preceding chapter.
I wasn’t sure about it at first. It was odd to read a novel in reverse, and I was confused at first, but I persisted and was it ever worth it!
I highly recommend this book. It was an amazing read with lots of twists in the story and a crazy good ending.
Anna (08-06-2018)