Anna Is Reading... - Page 4 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #61 (permalink)

Thanks, Anna.
If you like non fiction crime, I just finished The Devil in the White City.
By Erik Larsen.
It’s about the design and building of the Chicago World’s Fair in 1893, and a serial killer who dwells near it, as well as his victims.
It starts out slow, but picks up nicely.
The Chicago World’s Fair was to people in the midwest as Disney World is to us today.
Very good.
Maudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (10-31-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #62 (permalink)

I like Harlan Coban as well.
Opivotal (10-31-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:37 PM   #63 (permalink)
Administrator

Maudcat, I LOVE true crime. It's my absolute passion.

I will definitely check out the title you recommended.

Have you read anything by Ann Rule? Her books are superb.
My life is worth the living, I dont need to see the end.

John Denver
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (10-31-2017), SoulShine8 (10-28-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #64 (permalink)
O-n K-a-r A-r-r-e-s-t

Anna seems like you like the same type of reading I do. I used to be crazy about true crime books and read everything Ann Rule wrote. She was great. Mostly the books I read have to have a murder and a mystery to it. Twist endings are the best! These past two weeks, my love of reading has sure been a lifesaver to take my mind off things before going to bed. It's also a silver lining of not drinking - I now have time and am in my right mind to be able to do something I used to love so much.
Opivotal (10-31-2017)
Old 10-28-2017, 06:04 PM   #65 (permalink)

I haven’t, but my sil, who is a true crime fan, loves Ann Rule.
She just told me about a true crime podcast she has started listening to, “Last Podcast on the Left.”
I know, right?
It’s three guys who discuss crimes and, I guess, serial killers.
Could be ooky, but she says they do a good job with it.
I’m less a true crime person and more of a fictional mystery and thriller person.
I love the Joe Pickett books by C.J. Box, anything by Randy Wayne White, and Craig Johnson’s Longmire series.
Tami Hoag is a fave, too. She started out as a romance fiction writer and morphed into mystery/thrillers.
And, of course, the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon.
Not crime. Time travel, history, and romance.
Don’t know how she does it, but she writes amazing books.
And anything by Kate Atkinson. Also not crime, or mystery, but deftly written stories with clever plotting.
Opivotal (10-31-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #66 (permalink)
Administrator

Reckless Daughter: A Portrait of Joni Mitchell by David Yaffe

This book has just been released about a week ago. It's my favourite genre, and being a child of the sixties and a Canadian, I had to read it. I had an opinion of Joni Mitchell from interviews I'd read and seen on TV and I didn't like her. I kind of hoped the book would change my opinion, but, it cemented it. As David Crosby (from Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young) comments in the book 'Joni hates everyone'.

Joni had polio as a child and hospitals in the fifties were not kid-friendly places. It was tough. But, the defining moment in her life seems to be the baby she had at age 23 and gave up for adoption. She felt ill-equipped to raise a child, even though she was in a relationship with the baby's father. She was afraid to give up her fledgling music career for her daughter. Ironically, the depression and anger that became part of her life, stemmed from giving away her child. She says all of her music was written for her child. Also, ironically, when she reunited with her daughter (& granddaughter) decades later, the good feelings only lasted two weeks.

In her forties, Joni developed Morgellon's Disease, a form of delusional parasitosis which most doctors consider a mental illness.

David Yaffe does an amazing job of chronicling Joni's life in depth.

John Denver
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Kris47 (11-15-2017), Maudcat (11-09-2017), Opivotal (11-09-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #67 (permalink)
Administrator

Hunger by Roxane Gay

This is a new memoir by writer, professor, editor, and commentator, Roxane Gay. The book is about her body, her size, her shame and her triumphs. Roxane is well over six feet tall and weighs in the range of 400 - 500 pounds. Her words are so genuine, deeply honest and raw, that at times it's hard to read.

Roxane is sexually assaulted at age 12, and choose to use weight to make herself undesirable to men. In fact, one of the many questions she ponders is 'Why does society seem to make it my problem if men do not find me physically attractive?' Why, indeed.

John Denver
Kris47 (11-15-2017), Opivotal (11-13-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 08:26 AM   #68 (permalink)
Administrator

The Walls by Hollie Overton

I haven't posted here in a while and it's not because I wasn't reading. I started and gave up on at least 4 books. I no longer continue reading a book if I can't get into it. Life is too short.

And, finally, I found a book that I LOVED - "The Walls" by Hollie Overton.
I read her first novel, 'Baby Doll' and really enjoyed it, and I liked this book even more.

The Walls explores many issues - the death penalty, the flawed justice system, the burden of caring for a teen and an elderly and ill parent, domestic abuse and how far a woman will go to protect her family.

Kristy Tucker gave birth to her son at age 17, but managed to finish school and college and to obtain a job in Public Relations for a Texas Prison. She was a go-between for death row inmates and journalists.

Having been the sole bread-winner and parent for 15 years, she was thrilled to meet Lance who appeared to be a great partner. Unfortunately Lance was a psychopath and presenting himself just as he wanted to be seen.

The Walls is the nickname of the Prison where Hollie works, and it also expressed the fear, the threats and desperation she experienced in her marriage.

I really couldn't put this book down and finished it in one night.

John Denver
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (12-10-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM   #69 (permalink)

Hi, Anna,
I always like seeing your “Anna is Reading” posts.
I just finished reading “Lockdown” by Laurie R. King.
She is best known for the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes books, but she writes thrillers as well.
This book takes place at Guadaloupe Middle School in SoCal during their Career Day.
Lots of characters who are not what they seem, lots of tension, and things about to come to a head.
Loved her portrayals of middle school kids.
I never taught that age, but I worked with teachers who did, and they are
very special people.
And an old Harlan Coben, “No Second Chance” that I somehow missed when it was published in 2004.
That’s it. That’s all i have today.
Opivotal (12-10-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #70 (permalink)
Administrator

I remember the Harlan Coben book you're talking about and I loved it. I think his earlier work is his best.

I will see if I can find Lockdown. Thanks for the recommendation, Maudcat.

John Denver
Opivotal (12-12-2017)
Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #71 (permalink)
Administrator

The Secret Mother by Shalini Boland

Wow, this was another one-nighter!

Tessa Markham comes home to find a little boy in her kitchen. He thinks she’s his mother. But Tessa doesn’t have any children. Not anymore. She doesn’t know who the child is or how he got there. After contacting the police, Tessa comes under suspicion for snatching the boy.

I really liked Tessa. She gave birth to twins five years ago. One twin died at birth and the other died of leukaemia at age 3. Tessa's husband was bored and frustrated with her grieving and he left. But, even though struggling with her life, she took action to help herself and the child involved in this situation. She was strong, thoughtful and smart, in a very difficult situation. This book has a great ending.

I'm off to find more books by this author.

John Denver
Opivotal (12-12-2017)
Old 12-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #72 (permalink)
Administrator

Valentina by S.E. Lynes

This is my first book by this author and it was great. I loved it from the start.

Shona is a young mother and a journalist. Somewhat reluctantly, she moves with her partner to a rural, somewhat isolated part of Scotland where he will work on oil rigs in the North Sea. Shona will spend two weeks alone, followed by two weeks when her partner is home. I so related to this situation which was very similar to my life when my first child was born. Shona is overwhelmed by the loneliness and boredom of being a Mom to a new baby, but she is determined to make the arrangement work for the family.

Enter Valentina, who also has a new baby, and the two become close friends. It seems as though life is perfect for Shona, until things begin to unravel. Valentina is mysterious, chilling and unsettling. This is a psychological thriller in the truest way.

John Denver
Maudcat (12-23-2017), Opivotal (12-23-2017)
Old 01-02-2018, 10:04 AM   #73 (permalink)
Administrator

Every Last Lie by Mary Kubica

I loved Pretty Baby and The Good Girl by Mary Kubica, so I was really looking forward to her new book.

This book is dark and psychologically suspenseful, my favourite. It begins with Clara being told that her husband was killed in a single vehicle crash. Their 4 yr old daughter in the back seat was unhurt. Clara had given birth to their second child only 4 days before the accident. I thought this was a great premise for a story - throw in the hormone rush from giving birth and exhaustion with a new baby and the scene was set.

As the story unfolds, Maisie the 4 yr old daughter, begins having night terrors and before long Clara begins to suspect there was a lot more going on in her husband's life than she knew. The stress, hormones and exhaustion have Clara believing her husband was murdered.

John Denver
Opivotal (01-02-2018)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #74 (permalink)

I just discovered a writer that I consider delightdul.
Funny, breezy, yet somehow profound.
Joshilyn Jackson is the writer’s name, and the book I read is entitled, “Someone else’s Love Story.”
The heroine, whose name escapes me just now, sorry, is moving from the hill country to suburban Atlanta to finish her schooling.
She has a genius toddler and they get caught in a robbery/hostage situation at a convenience store.
Another customer becomes the unlikely hero and she is convinced he is her destiny, though he has much sadness in his past.
Lots of interesting twists, plot turns and unveilings.
Opivotal (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:06 PM   #75 (permalink)
Administrator

Thanks, Maudcat, I'm off to search for that one.

John Denver
Opivotal (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #76 (permalink)
Administrator

Miss O'Dell: Long Days and Hard Nights with the Beatles by Chris O'Dell

Back to my favourite genre, memoir, about my favourite decade, the Sixties. This is a great read. By chance, Chris O'Dell was brought into the music world by a friend who knew someone who was working for The Beatles. He suggested she move to London and come to Apple Studio to meet him. Chris showed up at Apple, didn't get a job, but literally hung around and began helping out wherever she could. Eventually, when Paul McCartney needed some extra help, he hired her and she began to work forThe Beatles as somewhat of a tour manager. She became best friends with Pattie Boyd and lived in Friar Park with George Harrison and Pattie. When the Beatles performed for the last time on the roof of Apple, she was one of the handful of people present.

Chris then moved on to The Stones, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young and Bob Dylan, as she slowly edged deeper into drug addiction. She fell in love with Leon Russell, had affairs with Ringo Starr and Mick Jagger.

Chris's job of tour manager allowed her to spend a decade with absolute best musicians of the Sixties. By the early Seventies she had descended into a desperate drug addiction that left her homeless and alone.

John Denver
Maudcat (01-10-2018), Opivotal (01-25-2018)
Old 01-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #77 (permalink)
Administrator

Gold Dust Woman: A Biography of Stevie Nicks by Stephen Davis

I am a huge Stevie Nicks fan and was thrilled to learn of this new biography coming out about her life.

The book gives much depth and detail in Stevie's relation to the band dynamic of Fleetwood Mac. I had no idea how powerless she was in the band, and I was glad to see that she finally started to assert herself and exercise her star-power.

I enjoyed how the book tied current events into Stevie's life, like Kennedy's election, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina, and how all of these things impacted her both personally and musically. She was in the midst of touring when 9/11 happened and struggled to make the difficult decision to continue on tour or to go home.

Davis reveals that the great Stevie/Lindsey Buckingham love affair was beautiful but painful. I'm glad that Stevie was able to escape the control and abuse that came with a relationship with Lindsey.

John Denver
Opivotal (01-25-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #78 (permalink)
Administrator

The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich

I was so excited to read this book. It's the best of both worlds to me. It's a memoir, combined with a true crime story, by the author, who is a law student working as an intern on death penalty cases.

This book is about a real murder that happened in the year 1992. A six year old child, Jeremy Guillory, was molested and murdered by Ricky Langley, a confessed pedophile.

This book deals with how complex it is to evaluate our own history and those of others. What we remember at various times in our lives, about our past, will often shift and change. As the author says, "where we start the story can affect how we feel about the ending."

Interwoven with the story of Jeremy and Ricky is the author's own personal story of sexual abuse by her grandfather over a period of years. When she finally was able to tell her parents what was happening, they decided to not allow the grandfather to be alone with her, but he was still included in the family as usual. I was horrified!

The death of 6 year old Jeremy is absolutely horrible. Does it matter that Ricky Langley was brushed off by multiple authorities when he begged for help and said he couldn't control himself? Should he die for the crime? Would you be surprised to learn that Jeremy's mother testified that she did not want Ricky Langley to die?

This is an amazing read!

John Denver
Opivotal (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #79 (permalink)

Hi Anna
I didn't realize this thread was on the site until it popped up on the new posts page. It's great! I am excited to start reading some of your suggestions. I love a good psychological thriller. Getting back to reading is one of the very important self care elements to re-establishing my life without alcohol.
Gettingcloser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gettingcloser For This Useful Post:
Anna (02-03-2018), Opivotal (02-01-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 11:54 AM   #80 (permalink)
Administrator

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

This is a new author to me, and I loved this book. It's smart, clever and quite Hitchcockian.

Dr. Anna Fox, a child psychologist, has become agorophobic due to an accident 10 months ago. She entertains herself daily with too much wine, a variety of pills, and a website for fellow-agoraphobics. She also follows the lives of her neighbors through the lens of her camera.

One day she sees her new neighbour, being assaulted and stabbed, by her husband. When the police arrive, they find the new neighbour unharmed, and so begins Anna's descent into paranoia - or is it? Will you be able to discern what is real and what isn't?

John Denver
Opivotal (02-15-2018)