Blogs

Anna Is Reading...

Old 12-03-2019, 05:09 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

Just Mercy by Bryan Stevenson

This is a Memoir/Bio and it's a book that will touch deeply anyone who reads it.

ďWhy do we want to kill all the broken people?Ē-Bryan Stevenson

ďI donít do what I do because I have to, because Iíve been trained to. I do what I do because Iím broken too. You cannot defend condemned people without being broken."-Bryan Stevenson

These are two powerful quotes from Bryan Stevenson. He founded the
Equal Justice Initiative, a nonprofit practice which sole purpose is to defend the most maligned by the legal system those serving time on deathrow for crimes they didn't commit. By being either poor, black, ill, damaged by childhood mistreatment, or most unfortunately just not well represented by those appointed to do so, these poor folks end up buried in the legal justice system.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
BeckoningCat (05-05-2020), Lucinda2 (01-17-2020), Opivotal (12-29-2019), Soberwolf (12-06-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Administrator

Me by Elton John

I LOVED this book. What a great read.

Elton John has an addictive personality. He says he was bulimic, an alcoholic, a drug addict, a gambling addict, and a shopaholic. When he stopped drinking he says he became addicted to going to meetings because that's just how he is. But, he has gotten sober and remained sober for 29 years.

Elton is brutally honest in describing the good times of his life, his euphoric rise to stardom, his insecurities, his depression, the horrors of drug abuse, and the lifestyle of debauchery that nearly killed him. He is funny and I laughed out loud many times. And I wept all over again at the tragic deaths of his close friends, John Lennon, Princess Diana, and Giannni Versace.

I've watched interviews Elton has done and his book is written as if he speaking to you personally. I highly recommend it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Lucinda2 (01-17-2020), Maudcat (01-04-2020), Opivotal (12-29-2019), Runswithspoons (05-21-2020), SnazzyDresser (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 06:41 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

She Said, by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey.
These two prize winning journalists broke the story of Harvey Weinsteinís sexual assaults on female staff and actresses.
They shared the Pulitzer Prize for the series with Ronan Farrow who also wrote about it for the New Yorker.
It is a riveting, infuriating book about a powerful, twisted man, but also about the dogged persistence of these two journalists as they pursued thin leads to interview women affected by Weinstein.
Great book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Lucinda2 (01-17-2020), Opivotal (01-04-2020)
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Cari Mora by Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs)
There is a vast amount of gold buried under a former drug lordís Miami beachfront home, and some very bad men want to claim it. They also want to claim the mansionís caretaker, the beautiful and scarred Cari Mora.
But Mora was a child soldier in the Columbia guerrilla wars, and she knows a thing or two. She wonít be easily bested by the villains.
Interesting look at a small part of Miamiís Latino community, including the undocumented, and a great story about a total badass.
Lucinda2 (01-17-2020), Opivotal (02-05-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 05:36 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

ďYouíre Wearing That? Communication between Mothers and Daughters, by Deborah Tannen.
Anyone who has ever gotten a backhanded compliment from their mothers will find a lot to like about this book.
Tannen is an expert in personal communications who has written several books about.
Mothers and daughters are complicated. Our mothers love us, worry about us, can be envious of our lives and freedoms, and uncomfortable with our sexuality.
Tannen plumbs these subjects in a very readable way.
Great read.
Anna (02-02-2020), Opivotal (02-05-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 06:59 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Administrator

All That is Bitter and Sweet by Ashley Judd

I really wanted to like this book as I have always enjoyed seeing her in movies. Also, she does a lot of good work for some very worthy causes. But I found it very hard to like her. She seems to be very self-involved and demanding. There was just something in her tone throughout the book that didn't settle with me. She wasn't "bragging" but yet, she had an air of "see what I've done, I'm making a difference" then would follow that up with how broken she was during this time.

I don't want to diminish what she went through, obviously, her childhood was traumatic and she was unfairly treated. She is also a great humanitarian, but I get the sense that she is not so humbled by it and that she still deals with some duality to her personality.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (02-05-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:14 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Administrator

The Arrangement by Robyn Harding

Art student Natalie Murphy is finding it difficult to make ends meet and she doesn't see a way out of her situation. Her job at a local bar pays very little and with rent and bills needing to be paid, Natalie has no idea what she will do. Natalie's housemates inform her she needs to pay her back rent that she owes or she will have to find somewhere else to live.

Ava a friend and fellow art student suggests that Natalie should sign up to a website that she uses as this could help her with her money troubles. Natalie wondered how Ava was able to afford designer clothes and a very nice apartment and she did it by becoming a Sugar Baby. Getting paid to spend time with men sheíd never met before just wasnít something Natalie thought she could do or was it? If Natalie didnít get money soon she would be homeless, thus she decides to sign up and hopefully end her money problems.

But, lines become blurred quite quickly and Natalie's life becomes increasingly complicated.
Opivotal (05-05-2020)
Old 05-05-2020, 06:22 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Administrator

Untamed by Glennon Doyle¬
¬ My favourite quote from this memoir. ¬ These words show the heart and soul of a recovering alcoholic:

ďBeing human is not hard because you're doing it wrong, it's hard because you're doing it right. You will never change the fact that being human is hard, so you must change your idea that it was ever supposed to be easy.Ē¬

¬ This is a memoir about a woman who leaves her husband for a wife, and finds herself.

Untamed is a story of the awakening of the author and how she decides to live life on her own terms rather than how she has been conditioned to live.¬ Glennon doesnt offer advice or strategies, just her own story of struggle, joy and becoming untamed. ¬ ¬ ¬

The book begins:¬

¬ Here's to The Untamed :¬

May we know them.May we raise them.May we love them.May we read them.May we elect them.May we be them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
BeckoningCat (05-05-2020), Opivotal (05-05-2020)
Old 05-09-2020, 03:57 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I have recently become a huge fan of Karin Slaughter. Her mystery thrillers are set in the Atlanta metro area. Protagonist Will Trent is an agent with the GBI. He had troubled childhood and has a reading disorder. In spite of this, he has grown up a caring person much deserving of a happy life and love, and he is an experienced investigator. Spoiler, though. The crimes he investigates are often gruesome and embody violent treatment and sometimes torture of women. There are strong, resilient female characters surrounding him, including his partner, Faith. Surprising plot twists complete the picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (05-09-2020)
Old 05-13-2020, 12:46 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love Karin Slaughter, but haven't read her books for awhile now.

I will see if I can find something online.
Opivotal (05-14-2020)