Anna Is Reading... - Page 10 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #181 (permalink)

The Rationing, by Charles Wheelan.
It is the near future . Earth has been hit by a global, baffling superflu that makes some a little sick and kills others.
There is a drug that can cure it, but a series of events sees the USA dangerously short of dosages.
People have to decide who gets the drug. Should there be an age cutoff? Can felons and ex-felons get it? Should people be excluded on the basis of education?
The president and his staff grapple with these questions.
This is a great political thriller/satire. I enjoyed it enormously.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maudcat For This Useful Post:
Anna (08-19-2019), Opivotal (08-27-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 10:38 PM   #182 (permalink)
Be Someone - Jake Bugg

Anna can you suggest me any of the scary books Mrs SW loves pls I think a good book will make a nice surprise present she isn't reading so good idea I think

Anything like girl on the train etc or the shows she watches on cable

Thank you x
Soberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soberwolf For This Useful Post:
Anna (08-19-2019), Opivotal (08-27-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #183 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Anna can you suggest me any of the scary books Mrs SW loves pls I think a good book will make a nice surprise present she isn't reading so good idea I think

Anything like girl on the train etc or the shows she watches on cable

Thank you x
My best to MrsSW,

A.J. Finn 'The Woman in the Window' I highly recommend this.

Samantha Hayes 'Date Night'

K.L. Slater 'Liar'

Clare Mackintosh 'Let Me Lie'

Shari Lapena, 'Someone We Know'

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (08-27-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #184 (permalink)
Administrator

Someone We Know Shari Lapena

This is a suspense novel involving a group of neighbors who had previously been friendly with each other, but maintained a distance.

This is a quiet area where everyone knows everyone. Recently there has been a string of break-ins. A neighborhood teenager has been sneaking into houses and hacking into personal computers. Secrets are uncovered. Then a neighbour is found dead. The secrets begin to come to the surface.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #185 (permalink)

I recently read The Heartís Invisible Furies by John Boyne, which I loved. Set in Ireland and spans the lifetime of a man born to an unmarried mother who got kicked out of her parish, town, and home for being unwed. Another favorite was The Round House by Louise Erdrich (American Indian story which won the Pulitzer, I think). I am looking forward to reading the next Louise Penny (Inspector Gamache) book which I think has just come out.
Foggyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foggyriver For This Useful Post:
Anna (09-04-2019), Opivotal (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:18 PM   #186 (permalink)

Sorry, Anna, for my post if I posted it in the wrong place. I didnít know this category existed until this evening!
Foggyriver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Foggyriver For This Useful Post:
Anna (09-04-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 06:46 PM   #187 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Welcome, Foggyriver!

You are in the correct forum.

No need for apologies.
Opivotal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:22 PM   #188 (permalink)

Welcome, Foggyriver.
Happy to have you.
Just One Look, by Harlan Coben.
A woman picks up a batch of photos from the photomat (Whatís a photomat? Is that like a buggy whip factory?)
In the package is an old, old photo of 5 people. She doesnít know 4 of them, but the fifth is her husband.
Later that night her husband sees the photo, claims itís not him, shortly thereafter leaves, disappears.
As she tries to find out whatís going on and find him, old secrets unfold and new perils emerge.
Harlan Coben writes the best thrillers. I was riveted.
Anna (09-04-2019), Opivotal (09-21-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #189 (permalink)
Administrator

FoggyRiver, I'm so glad you've joined us, and we always love new book suggestions. I've read something by John Boyne, but not that book . It sounds interesting.

Maudcat, I loved Just One Look! It's one of Harlan Coben's older books and I remember being so caught up in it. He's a great story-teller and really knows how to write a suspense novel.

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware

I am one of the few people who wasn't thrilled with The Woman in Cabin 10. I thought it was good, but it didn't really grab me. This new book is very good though.

While browsing, Rowan comes across an ad for a live in Nanny post in the Scottish Highlands. The salary, the location, all seem too good to be true, but she decides to take a chance and apply for the position. The house, in the Scottish countryside, is a character itself. It's partly Victorian, partly ultra-modern and set up as a SmartHome. Rowan manages to keep her head through the suspense, the unreliable, often unlikable characters, the intricate plot, and gothic elements of the story.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (09-21-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #190 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

I am out of my reading mode. Wish it would come back, and one day it will. It's either feast or famine. Sigh.

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
suki44883 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (09-21-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #191 (permalink)
Administrator

I get it, Suki, but I hope it comes back for you.

Lock Every Door by Riley Sager

Jules Larsen just lost her job and her boyfriend all in one day. Now, with no new jobs on the horizon and no funds for a new place of her own, staying on her friends couch may be the way it is for awhile.

But, an amazing opportunity falls into her lap! Be an apartment-sitter and stay at the Bartholomew apartment building in New York City, a landmark building very close to Central Park. And, since the building doesn't like to have empty apartments, she will be paid twelve thousand dollars to stay for 3 months till a permanent owner moves in. How could she say no?

The building is old and mysterious and full of quirky, notoriously private residents and Jules quickly learns something is not quite right.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (09-21-2019)
Old 09-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #192 (permalink)
Administrator

On Edge by Andrea Peterson

So, back to the memoir genre and a fantastic book on living with anxiety and panic attacks. This is an easy and very good read.

Andrea Peterson has lived with anxiety for about 25 years. Like me, when she had her first panic attack, she found that doctors knew very little, nor was there really much information available to learn about the disorder. I had panic attacks for years before I knew there was a name for it.

She has been in and out of numerous emergency rooms, doctorsí offices, and therapy sessions, and tried a variety of drugs and alternative solutions to alleviate her condition. As most of us with anxiety know, there is no magic bullet or quick fix.

In this honest and revealing memoir, Andrea shows the multiple ways that panic attacks have sideswiped her, forcing her to reschedule and rethink how she lives her life. She has found medication that helps, she plans and prepares, and of course, does the basics like yoga and eating well.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (09-28-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #193 (permalink)

Just tucking in here a ((thanks)) to Anna
Always appreciative of all you do.
Caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caramel For This Useful Post:
Anna (10-04-2019), Opivotal (10-03-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 05:17 PM   #194 (permalink)
Administrator

Inside Out by Demi Moore

This is a great book!

I am not particularly a fan of Demi Moore, but when I heard about this book, I knew it would be about addiction and that I would have to read it.

Obviously it's a memoir of Demi's life, but much of it is about addiction - her addiction to alcohol when she was 19/20, then to cocaine, then to anorexia/bulimia and exercise, then to prescription pain killers and then to Ashton Kutcher. Her addictions led her to a point, when after her divorce from Ashton, her daughters refused to speak to her for three years, in order to protect themselves. It was at this point that Demi surrendered and began the process of becoming comfortable with herself and beginning to heal.

"The only way out is in" Demi quotes in her epilogue.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (10-04-2019)
Old 10-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #195 (permalink)

The Summons, by John Grisham.
Two brothers, estranged from their judge father, get notes from him asking them to come to their old home in Mississippi to discus his estate, as he is dying.
When one brother gets there, he finds his father dead, and over 3 million dollars in boxes in a cupboard.
Where did the money come from, and what should he do with it? Report it to the law? Share it with his addict brother?
Whatís worse, someone knows about the money and is determined to have it, no matter what.
John Grisham always tells a good story.
Spying on the South, by Tony Horowitz.
Frederick Law Olmsted, land scape architect, designer of Central Park and Bostonís emerald necklace of parks, wrote for the New York Times.
His assignment was to travel the south just before the war between the states and report his findings.
In 2018, Tony Horowitz duplicates Olmstedís journey, writing about the contemporary southern states.
Itís a terrific look at that part of the country.
Anna (10-06-2019), Opivotal (10-05-2019)