Looking for good memoir/biography alcoholic books - Page 2 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2013, 01:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

I second "drinking a love story" or the happiness project by Gretchen ruben
melissa6381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #22 (permalink)
Learning to live again

I just heard about a new one today. "Double Double - A Dual Memoir of Alcoholism". Authors are Martha Grimes, a mystery writer & her son Ken.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
POAndrea (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #23 (permalink)

I loved The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls for the story of how an extraordinary person overcomes an alcoholic family. Lit: A Memoir by Mary Carr is a good one from the alcoholic's perspective. A Drinking Life by Pete Hamill is a great read too. Caroline Knapp's Drinking: A Love Story is pretty powerful stuff. Elizabeth Wurtzel, who wrote Prozac Nation, also wrote about her drug addiction in More, Now, Again.
POAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #24 (permalink)

Hi guys I'm new to this site and still figuring out how to navigate around. This is a quick question for anyone who likes to read: how popular would you say are memoirs and autobiographies compared to other self help books? I'm speaking mainly about recovery books , would you rather read someone's story or have someone giving info on how to stay clean ?
Freddiejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:36 AM   #25 (permalink)

I give another vote for "Unwasted" that was mentioned in an earlier post.

Picked up "Undrunk: A Skeptic's Guide to AA" by A. J. Adams from the library the other day and so far I like it.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #26 (permalink)

I second Drinking A Love Story by Knapp
Cheetah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheetah1 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 10-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #27 (permalink)

The Little House on Genessee by John S. It's available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle. It was actually written by my step-father's brother who helped alot of people in AA before he unfortunately passed away. Some of the book is his own story, the rest are stories of seven different people he sponsored. I recommend it very much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian316 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
Nathan Thurm fan

Sorry if this was already mentioned, didn't read all replies...... "Terry" by George McGovern is very good. I've read it twice. It's about his daughter who died from alcoholism at a relatively young age. Very sad but good book.
I agree with what others said about "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp. That's a good one too. She died too but I don't remember the reason. She was also pretty young when she died but can't remember the circumstances. Robin

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." Alfred Adler, Austrian psychologist (1870-1937)
Robin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin66 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014), grtgrandpa (08-25-2014)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #29 (permalink)
Administrator

Caroline Knapp died from lung cancer at age 43. But, she left a great legacy in her books.

Be sure to check out the Sticky in Newcomers forum for a long list of fantastic books.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014), grtgrandpa (08-25-2014), least (04-12-2014), Robin66 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #30 (permalink)
Better when never is never

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddiejay View Post
how popular would you say are memoirs and autobiographies compared to other self help books? I'm speaking mainly about recovery books , would you rather read someone's story or have someone giving info on how to stay clean ?
I would go for a good biography or autobiography. I find most self-help books to be a waste of time and based on someone's thinking. Biographies are based on a person's 'doing'. For me, that is more inspiring.

As for book recommendations:
Unwasted is excellent; I especially like it because it focuses on the first year.
The Tender Bar by JR Moehringer is great. It is a great story of boy finds bar, boy finds manhood, man becomes alcoholic, man finds sobriety. It really validated my own story about the role the people in the bar played in my life and then how I had to leave them.
Everything I Never Wanted to Be by Dina Kucera is great.
jazzfish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jazzfish For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014), Zevin (09-20-2015)
Old 11-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Robin, 'Losing Terry' was the first book I read that made me begin to realize what I was dealing with. Sen. McGovern, with all his resources, couldn't do a think to stop her from self-destructing. It really hit home.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014), grtgrandpa (08-25-2014), Robin66 (11-10-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #32 (permalink)

C2H6O: The Annihilation of the Blossoms, by D. E. Clayton
Milestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #33 (permalink)
Nathan Thurm fan

jazzfish, I love your quotes. Both are good, but I really like the second one about acting yourself into a new way of thinking.... I've never seen that quote before and really like it. I've figured out recently that that quote is entirely true, as I've tried both ways! I saved it to add to my list of quotes!

Hevyn, I agree with you. The Terry book is kind of scary in a way to me cuz it shows what can really happen. The way she died could have happened to me years ago when I used to get blackout drunk. She seemed like a good person and a smart person. Very sad. I felt bad for George McGovern. He went thru a lot.

"The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well." Alfred Adler, Austrian psychologist (1870-1937)
Robin66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin66 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014), Fleonard36 (03-24-2014)
Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #34 (permalink)

I've read 'Smashed' by Koren Zailckas which is a good memoir about binge drinking and came very close to the bone for me. Unfortunately it took me another 7 years to get to the trying to give up part!
Spinning round and round this broken earthly life"

Sara Bareilles
Nightswimming is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nightswimming For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

I also read 'Terry'. It was the most profound book on women's alcoholism I've seen. The major point was; the monumental impact of depression on the woman recovering. In your associations with a woman trying to remain sober, there needs to be a focused consideration of anything that can add to depression. The book 'Terry' illustrates that. Many other critically important aspects of the diffuculties a woman deals with. I've bought numerous copies of the book and handed out to those with an interest in the unique challenges a woman faces.
Highly recommended.
Floyd.
Dee74 (05-15-2014), Zevin (09-20-2015)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #36 (permalink)

Lit by Mary Karr is excellent and really well-written. I also loved Scoblic's Unwasted because it focuses on her early sobriety rather than the midst of addiction (unlike other memoirs/biographies). I'm currently reading Drinking: A Love Story...sad to learn Knapp died of lung cancer

Instagram--j_kittenberg
Mrsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrsbee For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:02 AM   #37 (permalink)

Diary of an Alcoholic Housewife by Brenda Wilhelmson
Turnabout by Jean Kirkpatrick
Coreyography by Corey Feldman
Guts by Kristen Johnston
Cathryn2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cathryn2001 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:17 AM   #38 (permalink)

Walk this way the story of Aerosmith the rock band it talks about drugs and alcohol addiction these guys came from nothing went all the way to the top then crashing back to the bottom then right back to the top
MrFixit63 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrFixit63 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:26 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13 View Post
The Heroin Diaries by Nikki Sixx. It has diary entires from him but then other people comment on the same event from their perspective. I loved it. A really honest account with the added bonus of music references.
I agree with this but if you are not into reading just listening to the album is a moving experience it starts where he is found dead underneath a Christmas tree all the way to his recovery.
Dee74 (05-15-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFixit63 View Post

I agree with this but if you are not into reading just listening to the album is a moving experience it starts where he is found dead underneath a Christmas tree all the way to his recovery.
Will he wasn't dead but he was close
Dee74 (05-15-2014)