SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information - Comments
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

1. Old Comment

My Experience in AA has become poor

Thanks guys for looking in.

Yes I have brought up having a life outside of AA as being vitally important. I think people eventually relapse not because they have stopped doing the steps properly or because they are not truly honest with themselves, but because they are doing nothing else except AA. It would drive u nuts if that was your only life imo. But I can see that there are some in AA that seem to be well balanced and with the program in a good way.

This is where I want to be at. My goal is to stay sober and also equally importantly to have a good life.
  2. Old Comment

I can relate. Fortunately I've found some guys within my group that have some quality recovery, so I just stick with my small circle of AA aquaintances, take what I need and leave the rest. Just recently I was criticizing (as I frequently do) some stuff about the main group that I attend and my sponsor told me to remember that when I'm in a meeting I'm in a room full of sick people, and that I should "stick with the winners" and keep the focus on my own recovery, which I think is good advice. Maybe you can be the guy who brings some of this stuff up? Good luck.
  3. Old Comment

Have you thought about or tried therapy (not in a group, just for yourself), helped me a little. I have struggled for years with drinking and relapsing. Tried AA and agree with your post, hard to overlook things. Still, it works for some. Guess we are all different. Take care
  4. Old Comment

Meetings and Emptiness

Eddie

Meeting are as important as our drug of choice was {alcohol
    or drugs** I never skipped a day for over 38 years ** except for 3 days in jail for public intox**

I use to love to go to the bars every now and then I would
    go to a new one. The same thing with going to meetings find a new one but always have a home group and share the meeting, make coffee and make the new comer feel welcome.
  5. Old Comment

Management

Recovery to me is a thinking game
    how I can spread the feeling of freedom.

Free from the addictions that held me down
    for over 38 years
  6. Old Comment

At last, stability and a place to grow from

Take it one day at a time.Jesus said focus on today and enjoy it.So dont let the cares of tomorrow steal it away nor the regrets of yesterday darken it.Trust in Christ for your peace and he will give you the strength through his Spirit to overcome and be victorious. All you have to do is ask him to make his self real to you.Im not going to tell you what to say.Thats between you and GOD,but I do know this hes just waiting for you to start the conversation. Im living proof that if your willing hes able to do exceedingly abundantly above all we could ask or even imagine. Just trying to be my brothers keeper.
    Posted 12-29-2011 at 11:03 AM by ProdigalReturns ProdigalReturns is offline
  7. Old Comment

Back on anti depressant medication

Quote:
    My sponsor wanted me to quit them,

I wish sponsors would quit 'playing doctor'...
  8. Old Comment

Meetings and Emptiness

Hi there Irish Colleen,

I have gone to meetings and done chairs. (not many). I feel a lot of frustration at the meetings, almost as if it is a club for people that cannot function in reality. So yeah, I am moving around different meetings, its hard to not be disillusioned with recovery and the way I feel, but I've got no choice but to carry on.
  9. Old Comment

The ebb and flow of daily recovery

relate strongly to this posting
  10. Old Comment

Meetings and Emptiness

Eddie I'm sorry for your experience with meetings. I have found meetings to be somewhat varied where I live. Do you read the Big Book? have a sponsor? What about just inviting some sober friends out socially for awhile away from the meeting format? I know that AA has helped so many, but I say whatever you find helpful on your sober path embrace it. I, too am tired. Some AA folks are quite the preachers, but I have found a few kindred spirits there and that is what I hold most dear and precious these days. Peace to you.
    Posted 05-30-2011 at 10:40 AM by Irishcolleen24 Irishcolleen24 is offline
  11. Old Comment

Intollerence

I hope the spelling didnt spoil the message.miracle,
  12. Old Comment

Intollerence

Did anyone reach out to you eddie? You may be thee miacle needed to get another alchoholic sober.
  13. Old Comment

Interesting times ahead

Thanks so much for your insight. I will try this and try it often.
  14. Old Comment

Interesting times ahead

THE MAGIC IS DIFFERENT FOR EVERYONE. TIME TAKES TIME. I AM 88 DAYS SOBER NOW. I MAKE AS MANY MEETINGS AS I CAN AND 7 A WEEK IS MINIMUM. MEETING MAKERS MAKE IT. MY HIGHER POWER CAME EARLY ON,, AND I FEEL FORTUNATE. I HAD TO LEARN TO PRAY. AN OLD TIMER TOLD ME EARLY ON THAT IF YOU TALK TO YOUR HIGHER POWER OUT LOUD AND AS YOUR BEST FRIEND IT IS EASIER. FOR ME HE WAS RIGHT, GOOD LUCK ON YOUR JOURNEY.
    Posted 05-16-2011 at 11:30 PM by carrswholesale carrswholesale is offline
  15. Old Comment

Existential fear, sobriety and mortality

FDR said, "The only thing we have to fear...is fear itself." He knew what he was talking about...fear is a crippler. The moment we face it, it starts to turn into something else not as crippling. Lesser negative emotions are easier to overcome, but if we react to fear rather than face it, we allow it to gain control over us. Our addictions are all about fear, from starting with sobriety to long-term recovery we have to learn where our fears are and what they do to sabotage our dreams. Mortality? I'm immortal. At least until I die; I don't worry about what comes later on down the line. Sufficient unto the day are the evils thereof.
    You sound like you had a Catholic-school upbringing like mine. I pondered the same thoughts as a child and young man. I guess I've stared Death down too many times to worry about his touch anymore. Someday he'll put his finger on me, but since that could happen right at this keyboard, when I'm 116 years old or anytime in between, I try not to think about it too much. I try to distract myself with something else when such mind-occupying senseless worries arise. It seems to work.
  16. Old Comment

Drinking on Anger

I found that when I got angry it was usually a response to some fear I had. Over time I learned how to analyse my anger and work it back to my fear. Then I would say to myself "is this something I really need to be afraid of, or is it something I can let go?" It takes a lot of practice, and don't always succeed at taking the time to analyse the fear, but I'm getting better at it.

It looks like you are making progress, keep up the great work, Eddie!
  17. Old Comment

What is the alternative to one day at a time?

Every day is a gift and as long as you can open your eyes, you can focus on the new day and any happy memories that you may have built up during your life.
  18. Old Comment

Dreaded Dreams of Bondage

hey, eddie, i'm new here.
    i was inspired to join from reading your blogs for the past few months.
    thanks for being an inspiration.
    i know where you're coming from.............
    God bless......ron
  19. Old Comment
  20. Old Comment

Sober times

It took me from 1994 until 2003 to get a whole year sober. In my dresser, I had an entire drawer full of desire chips. Finally when I almost committed murder while drunk, I quit. What a blessed day that was, a little over seven years ago. Thank you Lord for letting me be sober, above ground and outta jail today.