Hiyer - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Bikers in Recovery
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hiyer

I didn't realise there were bikers here, I have been riding for maybe 35 years - bikes were my whole life at one time....
MachinistGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MachinistGuy For This Useful Post:
firebolt (06-23-2017), toad (06-28-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #2 (permalink)

quite a few here, MG. theres also some pretty awesome sober biker clubs out there.
i used to rid e aloooong time ago , but chose drinking over riding.
a couple years into recovery, a friend had his and his wifes bikes stored in my garage for the winter. he came over one saturday in the spring to pick his bike up, run it home, and change all the fluids. said,"why dont ya get on my wifes bike( a mint 96 virago 750) and ride it back to my pace. we can get the fluids changed and go for a ride."
him sayin that scared the crap out of me- i hadnt been on a bike in 14 years and thought it might bring back the thoughts of drinking, so i weaseled my way out if it.
he pulls into my drive sunday morning. i walk out.
and here comes a helmet flyin my way.
"i aint leavin til you get on that bike and ride."
i still was afraid of that thought comin up, but did it anyways. rode around the block 1st( where i lived 'around the block" was about a 6 mile ride).
pulled in, then we hit the road.
about 15 minutes in- holy crap!!!!
i couldnt remember ever having that feeling on a bike!
he kept the bikes parked in my garage and said,"ride em any time." i just couldnt do that!
then he came over about a week later. he was a wee bit upset that the milage on both bikes was the same.
bad thing though: he shouldnt have let me ride his 03 roadstar. that thing practically drove itself!
he had 1000 more miles on it.
wasnt much long after that and my friend just happened to find a bike for sale at an excellent price- a 96 suzuki intruder 1400. a guy that repaired bikes out of his garage dropped if off the previous year for some work and never came and picked it up- he fell off the radar. so beings how he had all the legal stuff down for reparing bikes, he was able to get a title for it and just wanted it gone.
so i got a 96 intruder with 9,000 miles on it, with new cables, clutch springs, tires, and quite a bit of other work, for 2k.
i put 12k miles on it that 1st year. i lived in northern michigan and all them miles were northern michigan miles.
i havent rode in a couple years. my back just cant take long rides any more.
but ive been thinkin of figuring out away to make a drivers backrest. that and maybe even break down and build some forwards for it- i swear suzuki ised about a 5'3" gut as a model to figure out footpeg/forward location!LOLOL

whats your ride of choice,MG?

sooo, machinstguy.
i assume that may reflect your occupation?
firebolt (06-23-2017), MachinistGuy (06-23-2017), toad (06-28-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Excellent shame you can't ride much nowadays though...

My first 'real' bike was a 25 year old Triumph Tiger Cub I bought when I was a teenager. It came to me in a couple of tea chests. All my friends had Japanese strokers, but I had to be different
I've had loads of bikes - I'd usually have a chopper or a Brit and some random Jap which I rode if I needed to actually get from A to B without breaking down...
At age 35 I had a real bad crash that broke a lot of bones - couldn't walk for 2 years after that. I still have a limp and a lot of pain.
I mostly stayed away from bikes after that until me and my ex wife emigrated to Spain from the UK, I had a couple of dirt bikes out there.

I came back to the UK last year after our marriage imploded and I'm still trying to find a nice Brit bike project to build up. They leak oil and aren't the most reliable things around, but I like them. Prices are crazy now though

I'm MachinistGuy because I worked as a gunsmith for years. People can be a bit weird about guns so I tend not to mention it much outside of my little circle of friends- if I mention it at all.

I just about finished a new workshop with a lathe and a mill etc. I'm done with gunsmithing though, it's really stressful because of the gun laws here and it's stress which started me drinking.
Probably I'll make bike parts...I'm pretty good with engines too.

I doubt I'll have a bike on the road this year - but who knows ?
toad (06-28-2017), tomsteve (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

theres always riders lookin for a machinist to make cusom parts!
dont know about your area, but around here theres a lot of room for people that can turn a wrench and do it good.
im sure youll find a lot of happyness and peace doing that and doing it sober
MachinistGuy (06-23-2017), toad (06-28-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
im sure youll find a lot of happyness and peace doing that and doing it sober
You said that right. Being sober is the key to doing everything I want to do
toad (06-28-2017), tomsteve (06-23-2017)