"Taken" vs "Playing the field" - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2010, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

"Taken" vs "Playing the field"

When two people meet and start flirting around with each other, when is the polite time for each to tell the other they have a "boyfriend" or "girlfriend"? Of course, I know if one were married, the married one should verbalize this right away. But, how about when one of them is not married, but "in a committed relationship"?

Maybe I should discuss this in thread. I am just venting here because I have had a situation recently where I was flirting with an individual and they were flirting with me. This continued on for over a month. Never ONCE did this person tell me they were in a "relationship". If I had heard those words early on, I would not have continued to flirt, or at least not in the way that I did. Do you know what I mean?

Let me put it another way: I have RESPECT for the relationship of a couple. Once I know they are a couple, I don't carry my flirtation beyond a certain point! I treat people the way that I would like to be treated! Example: When I in a relationship, I wouldn't want someone on the outside doing that to me and my mate!
tabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Casual Hero and Raconteur

I don't flirt with anyone but my wife. What are these guys up to, that they're flirting with you (on an extended basis) without mentioning this allegedly "committed" relationship of theirs? Are they shopping for side-action? Trying to keep their options open in case a "better catch" comes along? Or are they using you to assure themselves that they're still attractive to women?

Whatever the answer, they don't sound like men you want to be involved with. In fact, they don't sound like men at all, but overgrown, insecure, selfish boys.

I bet you can do better.

Rigid rat shovel (AKA "The Bitch")
Ratted-out Evo FLT (AKA "The Bagger")

The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom, and I'm trying to get there as fast as I can!
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillJ For This Useful Post:
toad (05-24-2010), TonyB (05-25-2013)
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Community Greeter

I found the further along I got in my recovery, flirting just wasn't part of my modus operandi.

Early on, it was an effective deterrent to what I really didn't want to do...work on self.

I was still getting my feel-goods from men around me, rather than acknowledging that's an inside job.
BillJ (05-31-2010), tabfan (06-01-2010)