Vulgarity - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read




Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810

Vulgarity


Got a guy at a meeting I attend who uses the MF word knowing that it will offend some of the older ladies (my opinion). I think he likes to watch them squirm with uneasyness (also my opinion). I want to thump him (spiritually speaking).

Any opinions about vulgarity
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Lenina's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,326
toad,

You might ask him point-blank if he realizes he uses the vulgarity? I think some of it has gotten so in the public, he may not realize. The way I've heard some vulgarity used while standing in line at the bank, waiting at the check-out counters and just walking along in a mall leaves me to believe many are aware of their language!

It doesn't offend me as much as I think it's just plain rude.

Love,

Lenina
Lenina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenina For This Useful Post:
Sasha4 (04-24-2013)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 12,136
I was at a speaker meeting last week and the kid at the podium had about 9 months in. He used a couple of four-letter words, but I let it slide - until he dropped the F-bomb - and then referred to himself as a p*ssy. I found him very offensive. Standing at the front of the room, as a recovering alcoholic, he sure didn't sell me on what he had going on.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: May 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5
He's unwell and in whole or part being eaten alive by his own emotions. If it were really just too much to put up with I would approach him on that level instead of letting his emotional unease act like fly paper to catch a combatant who would then take on his toxicity unintentionally. It's important not to go to meetings to come away with noise in your own gut.
Terranaught is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terranaught For This Useful Post:
BudA (02-10-2018)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
toad,

You might ask him point-blank if he realizes he uses the vulgarity? I think some of it has gotten so in the public, he may not realize. The way I've heard some vulgarity used while standing in line at the bank, waiting at the check-out counters and just walking along in a mall leaves me to believe many are aware of their language!

It doesn't offend me as much as I think it's just plain rude.

Love,

Lenina
He knows he is using vulgarity. He is an educated man and very intellectual. He does it on purpose. I have noticed over the past 10 years (my opinion again) that he is still spiritually sick, and struggles with those of us who go to church. I am no stranger to using vulgarity, but I try and realize when not to use it. Actually when I got sober in 1998, my mouth was one of the first parts of my body to get some cleaning (house cleaning)

thanks for sharing..........toad
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
CAPTAINZING2000 (10-22-2014)
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Lenina's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 8,326
toad,

Well, then that's a different matter. I have no suggestions other than perhaps the meeting chair could ask at the beginning of the meeting to please try to keep it clean. I've seen this happen in one meeting I used to attend.

Love,

Lenina
Lenina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lenina For This Useful Post:
CAPTAINZING2000 (10-22-2014)
Old 05-25-2009, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranaught View Post
He's unwell and in whole or part being eaten alive by his own emotions. If it were really just too much to put up with I would approach him on that level instead of letting his emotional unease act like fly paper to catch a combatant who would then take on his toxicity unintentionally. It's important not to go to meetings to come away with noise in your own gut.

Why would someone put out an emotional flypaper.

That trash belongs in the burn barrel.
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Requires Adult Supervision
 
TonyB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Got a guy at a meeting I attend who uses the MF word knowing that it will offend some of the older ladies (my opinion). I think he likes to watch them squirm with uneasyness (also my opinion). I want to thump him (spiritually speaking).

Any opinions about vulgarity

Sure... Because you asked....

You be in charge of you and let him be in charge of him.
If he don't drink he may one day get sober, but until then.... All bets are off.
Keep coming back.

TonyB
__________________
Live Free. Ride Free
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:
BudA (06-05-2017)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Forum Leader
 
Astro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Posts: 17,901
It's unnecessary, but I'll admit to dropping an F-bomb in small group discussions now and then. I guess it bugs me when someone laces their entire share with profanity. Eff this, eff that, eff, eff, eff. To me it sounds kind of unintelligent.

I do agree with Tony though, whatever anyone else says isn't any of my business. I'll just do my best to keep my side of the street (and my mouth) clean.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
BudA (02-10-2018)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
Sure... Because you asked....

You be in charge of you and let him be in charge of him.
If he don't drink he may one day get sober, but until then.... All bets are off.
Keep coming back.

TonyB
Hello Tony,

Thanks for your honesty. I respect what you have to say. My question is, do you think it is alright for a person who has a definite problem with church and people who attend church, to use vulgarity intentionally knowing it will offend others. I think that this is a lack of respect and outright rude behavior.

I am reminded of a line in the movie Lonesome Dove, when Woodrow Call whipped the Army Sargent and said to the people standing by, "I don't tolerate rude behavior in a man."

I asked the man to respond on this forum and he refused to defend his behavior in the presence of strangers.

I have dealt with the problem. Probably not in the most diplomatic way, but I was honest and assertive, maybe agressive might be the best word to use for my actions. I will not drink over the experience, and the other person has over 30 years, and I doubt if they will drink over it.

"Love and tolerance is our code," but I don't have to let someone continue to disrespect me and those I love.

Thanks for letting me vent Tony..........guess what? "I love you and there is not a damn thing you can do about it."
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro View Post

whatever anyone else says isn't any of my business..
I disagree with this Astro. I hope we can agree to disagree peacefully. I do respect what you have to say on this forum.

Anything said in my presence that is meant to be disrespectful to me and my beliefs is my business. I will let someone walk on me a little, and that is tolerance, but you keep stomping and I'm going to bust your azz (spiritualy speaking).
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toad For This Useful Post:
Gottalife (02-27-2018), tomsteve (10-24-2014)
Old 05-27-2009, 11:20 PM   #12 (permalink)
is ☞ optimistic.
 
Zencat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oxnard (The Nard), CA, USA.
Posts: 7,975
Blog Entries: 11
I do let the f-bombs fly in my day to day speech. Its nothing that I find out of the ordinary. Having it so much of what I say in the F2F meeting or otherwise world I pay it no mind. They just come out. I do know its a ******* trip not to see my common verbiage get ushered out on SR. But there is a sensor on this site...be it automatic or something...its just as well....Maybe I'm an stepchild Osborn...who ******* knows.
__________________


Race Around Will
R.A.W. HO Slot Car Racing
Zencat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zencat For This Useful Post:
HitRockBottom70 (04-22-2013), ivegotsunshine (04-21-2013)
Old 05-28-2009, 03:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Requires Adult Supervision
 
TonyB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Maine
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Hello Tony,

Thanks for your honesty. I respect what you have to say. My question is, do you think it is alright for a person who has a definite problem with church and people who attend church, to use vulgarity intentionally knowing it will offend others. I think that this is a lack of respect and outright rude behavior.

I am reminded of a line in the movie Lonesome Dove, when Woodrow Call whipped the Army Sargent and said to the people standing by, "I don't tolerate rude behavior in a man."

I asked the man to respond on this forum and he refused to defend his behavior in the presence of strangers.

I have dealt with the problem. Probably not in the most diplomatic way, but I was honest and assertive, maybe agressive might be the best word to use for my actions. I will not drink over the experience, and the other person has over 30 years, and I doubt if they will drink over it.

"Love and tolerance is our code," but I don't have to let someone continue to disrespect me and those I love.

Thanks for letting me vent Tony..........guess what? "I love you and there is not a damn thing you can do about it."

My point is simply this....
AA is about getting sober! This is not a social club like some people want to treat it. I'm not pointing my finger at you, that is just a generalized statement. Our primary focus is to help alcoholics achieve sobriety, not to limit them in their speech and to prevent them giving offense to old ladies.
I'm a hard core drunk. This guy just needs someone to properly sponsor him.
It's time to read that big book to this guy and stop hitting him with it.
Just my opinion and we all know about them....
I have seen some pretty rough things in my time around AA. Have even seen guys draw down on each other in the parking lot. Chairs thrown, fights break out... You name it.... Bottom line.... Did he drink today? Then he might get sober one day.
Love and Respect
TonyB
__________________
Live Free. Ride Free
TonyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyB For This Useful Post:
BudA (02-10-2018)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
Forum Leader
 
Astro's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Posts: 17,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I disagree with this Astro. I hope we can agree to disagree peacefully. I do respect what you have to say on this forum.

Anything said in my presence that is meant to be disrespectful to me and my beliefs is my business. I will let someone walk on me a little, and that is tolerance, but you keep stomping and I'm going to bust your azz (spiritualy speaking).
I'm not going to disagree with you, toad. On the contrary I'm going to learn from your wisdom and let you lead by your example.

Bottom line.....there's tolerance....and there's being a doormat. I do need to be aware of the two, and to set a boundary when I'm not being respected.

Thank you.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty, and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming---*WOW-What a ride*!"
Astro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
ivegotsunshine (04-21-2013)
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
baggervance's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: tennessee
Posts: 592
I grew up in construction so yall know what kind of mouth I have. I try and keep it clean in the rooms sometimes I slip. The people in after care drop the F-Bomb alot to much to suit me. There are quite a few ladies in there I can tell some of them dont like it. Alot in my opinion do it for attention I say that and I still talk bad even when Im alone I cuss.
__________________
I love my bulldog she never says a word about anything I do wrong.
baggervance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #16 (permalink)
*Hooligan*
 
CStyle's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tenino, Wa
Posts: 94
Good stuff, I decided after hanging around the rooms for a couple of years that I did not want to cuss while sharing in meetings. I felt that it made me sound ignorant. It was a personal choice, another one of those standards that I have no right holding others too. I am reminded of this passage from page 417 of the BB. " And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today.
When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, or
situation - some fact of my life - unacceptable to me, and I can find
no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing or situation as
being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.
Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober ; unless I
accept life on life's terms, I cannot be happy. I need to concentrate
not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what
needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes."
CStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CStyle For This Useful Post:
Austin4Wyo (10-25-2015), BudA (02-10-2018)
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
mergirl
 
Gypsy Feet's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Paradise
Posts: 4,158
Blog Entries: 4
I attend 2 very different types of meetings. The ones in the smaller community where I live are mostly older, affluent people with really big sober numbers. The ones down town at the alano club have lots of newcomers, court cards and youngsters. The ones near me not to many people cuss, but at the alano club cussing is met with laughter and (for lack of a better way to phrase it) common understanding. The cussing at the alano club actually seems to make some people feel like they fit in better.

People who are blatantly disrespectful in a place of healing suck, I hope you are wrong about his motives.
__________________

*~Lisa~*
ban the deed, not the breed~
five years of continuous sobriety and counting
<3 (its a sideways heart!)
Gypsy Feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
capra laeviculus
 
Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: German Village, OH
Posts: 3,419
Blog Entries: 3
I suppose this thread isn't quite talked out, 'cause I have a slightly different point of view.

First of all, there does not exist a permutation of words capable of causing me offense.

However, when someone utters a string of words that I believe would cause someone else in the room offense, my brain involuntarily reduces my perception of the credibility of the speaker.

In the case of someone who uses a lot of profane language, I very quickly tune them out completely.

This is probably not the best thing I could do, since that person may have something important to say, no matter how inarticulate he or she may be.

In my own speech, I use a small amount of profanity, but only for appropriate audiences, and almost always only for comedic effect. In fact, I think the word "freakin'" is much funnier than it's profane counterpart, so I use it quite a bit more often

This was a good thread for me to read, Toad, thank you for starting it.

-Goat
Goat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Sober25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 128
I guess I see this differently than most people on this thread. What's wrong with profanity at AA meetings? I'm sure we heard plenty at the bars we drank at or from the people we drank with. Did we complain? I sure didn't, and I've been known to say a few choice words myself. In our area profanity is not at all uncommon at meetings. F bombs are pretty much expected, and it is usually the women who do it. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I think people should be allowed to share openly and honestly.
__________________
Experience, Strength And Hope - Pass It On.
Sober25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sober25 For This Useful Post:
BudA (02-10-2018)
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
toad's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: mountain grove, missouri
Posts: 1,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sober25 View Post
I guess I see this differently than most people on this thread. What's wrong with profanity at AA meetings? I'm sure we heard plenty at the bars we drank at or from the people we drank with. Did we complain? I sure didn't, and I've been known to say a few choice words myself. In our area profanity is not at all uncommon at meetings. F bombs are pretty much expected, and it is usually the women who do it. Personally I don't have a problem with it. I think people should be allowed to share openly and honestly.
My question to you is, if you know that someone at a meeting would be offended by vulgarity, is it cool to go ahead and say something to cause offense?

AA is not a bar scene........a long ways from it!
__________________
"Tet Vet"
Combat Veterans Motorcycle Association

Patriot Guard Riders

2007 Road King Classic
96 C.I. Six-speed
Vivid black


"God is doing for me what I could not do for myself"
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:07 AM.