Addictive Personality

Old 07-12-2002, 09:17 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Thank you for referring me to this and bringing it to the top for me. It is very informative. I'm just so suprised that so many things that I have delt with for years are actually REAL!!!

There have been MANY times I have doubted myself and continued this merry-go-ride, but I finally believe what I have suspected all along. This information will be very helpful for me to begin my journey.

Thanks again
Constant
Old 07-15-2002, 03:06 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Old 11-15-2002, 05:51 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks Pernell

I really needed to read that and my A enjoyed it too

RedAPBT in CA
Old 11-18-2002, 11:20 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Paused

Awesome

Pernell, you are "All That"! Thanks for the insight, I really needed this to help me understand.
Mrs. Podge
Old 12-06-2002, 09:28 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Paused

Pernell, many thanks for for posting all this info, and many thanks to the members who kept this thread alive so newcomers would find it...I am new to the forum and new to the idea of recovery. I have a 21-yr-old son who is an addict, and may be alcoholic as well; we've just insisted he leave our home, and my feelings of guilt and sorrow are overwhelming - I stumbled on this forum looking for resources to help us get through this, and just reading the posts here have been helpful and healing. I'll be looking for a N.Anon or A.Anon meeting.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:53 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Pernell Johnson's Play

Pernell:

BRAVO! BRAVO!

I'm assuming that this play also applies to drug users! I printed it out to read over and over as I am in the play I am The Provocatrix (mother). Been playing this part for a lot of years so I know my lines very well. I am, however, tired of this part and am therefore am taking your advice and learning my new roll!

Thank you for taking the time to do this. I am sure you benefited a great many people!

Pernell, you're the best!

Hugs, Devastated
Old 01-25-2003, 06:23 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Paused

Pernell,

Wow, I didnt know my life was a play...but boy is it. and unfortunatly for me i am one of the stars.

Thank you for posting all this for us.. It is wonderful. i am gonna print it and let my A read it...So he can see he is a star also...

Thanks again

Trusthimagian?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:48 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Paused

just bringing this back to the top again
Old 01-28-2003, 10:46 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Queen of one liners

Thank you Pernell;

I don't know where you got the play but if you wrote it you are very talented with the insight of the family disease of additions

I have printed it out so I can pass it on to others as they come into my life...

I am so very grateful for these threads and boards and I am grateful the site is up and running again....Thank you all.:shades:
Old 01-31-2003, 08:16 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Paused

Bringing this back to the top for thoese who havent read it.

Trusthim again?
Old 02-09-2003, 07:11 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Paused

Wow, my life in a play. I'm the wife and after 5 years am just now coming out of denial. Is the personality profile true for all addicts, because it fits my husband to a tee. I plan to read this again a few times just so I can see the whole picture more clearly. I know this will help many people get on the right road. Thank you, I'm to re-learn my role.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:49 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

tngirl welcome to the recovery forum. Yes, I am sad to say that this scenario is true in nine out of ten families. With the exception of those who are not married or use a higher class of drug which does not allow the family to last that long. Denial--denial denial, it is the drug of the co-dependent.

Just for Today--------------------------I am Sober:shades:
Old 02-16-2003, 07:15 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Wow Pernell,

Thank you so much for this. I read it when I first came to Soberrecovery and it had a great impact then. I just read it again and I am blown away. I especially thought your last comment here was very powerful. I keep saying it over and over in my head. "Denial is the drug of the codependent"~~~~Huge statement, so simple......so true.
Old 02-17-2003, 05:30 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
Paused

Pernell,

I haven't read all of the pages yet, however, I printed all of them out so I can digest them slowly.

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and share it with everyone.

Hugs,

horsecrazy
Old 02-18-2003, 05:38 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Addictive Personality--Tools to Change

Horsecrazy, it has come to my attention that we all need tools to change. I have been prospecting these tools. Along with attendance at self-help meetings, practicing spiritual principles and working the 12 Step program. There other people who you could involve in your quest for change if your situation warrants an attorney for small or large legal problems. You like many other probably cannot afford the high price tag lawyers put on their services.
I have discovered something I want to share with you. But before I tell you what it is. Just for a moment imagine you are a lawyer who charges $100.00 per hour and I come to you to hire you for some legal situations in my life.

I come to you and tell you I'm married and have two children, including a teenage driver. Take out a pen orcalculator and add up what your services would cost me.

What I would like to do is work out a flat monthly fee with you to provide legal services for me, my spouse, and my children. I'm going to outline some needs we have. As I go through these needs, I want you to add them up at $100.00 per hour. Then I want you to tell me how much you would have to charge each month for all these services.

First, I would want to be able to pick up the phone and talk with you about any legal matters, personal or business. Of course I will call only during your regular business hours.

Plus, when we need anything of a personal legal nature such as a letter written, a phone call made, or contract reviewed, we would want you to do that for us too.

I would also like for you to draft my Will. Then each year, I would like you to review and update it for me if needed.

I want to have access throughout the United States/Canada. If I'm traveling in another state/province and need legal advice, I expect you to refer me to an attorney in that state. I want that attorney to bill you, and I want you to pay that bill out of this monthly fee arrangement we set up.

Now, if you were my attorney, what flat monthly fee would you charge me for all these services?

What I have discovered is an LMO. You know what a HMO is. What HMO has done for health needs. LMO does the same for legal needs for a small monthly price. Depending on the state you are in, it could cost as much as $26.00 a month or as little as $10.95 a month. I know this sounds like, what kind of an attorney can I get for that price. Well, I suggest that you go to

www.prepaidlegal.com/go/pernellrjohnson

watch the movie and if you realize that this is an excellent tool and extraordinary information at your fingerstips. sign up , enroll right there online and become a member. Trust me, you will thank me for it.

Just for Today-----------------------I am Sober:shades:
Old 02-20-2003, 08:46 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  
Paused

addictive personality

Thank you. This helps me believe we have done the right thing by having our two sons leave the house because they went back to drugs after a rehab session. It really gives me hope. Please keep this on line somewhere for people like me.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:48 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Paused

I've just re-read this again and have started making small changes in my role. I have one question, can a person ever be too far gone to recover? Whenever I have suggested NA or counseling he tells me it's too late and that he is too far gone. He says he's seen too much to ever be normal again. He has been addicted to cocaine for about 20 years. Thanks for any input.

tngirl
Old 02-23-2003, 07:25 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Recovery

tngirl, there is no such thing as seen to or gone to far. I used heroin, cocaine and alcohol for 35 years and I clean and sober now going on nine years. In The Bible, Adam and Eve went astray an that is when the recovery process started. If you'd like to read about from that view point go to Barnes and Noble and get "The Life Bible"----The Bible for people in 12 Step Recovery.

Narcotics Anonymous is free, all you have to do is want to stop using and start attending and taking (G.O.D.) Good Orderly Direction.

Just for Today------------------------I am Sober:shades:
Old 03-04-2003, 09:32 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

There is More

The story is ongoing and around and around. It does have a way of changing direction. Denial is exposed, some of the key players are getting truth into their lives. Treatment officers, social workers, ministers, lawyers and self-help meetings come on the scene. Are the players ready to accept the truth, take the veil from their eyes and recognize that cause and effect begets consequences--some negative--some positive. Can you tell the difference between the two?

Just for Today-------I am not afraid
Old 03-04-2003, 09:41 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Pernell

I have followed this thread and re-read it many times, and I think it is brilliant and want to thank you. I recognize what you say about exposing denial and accepting the truth...to me that was the turning point in my own recovery, even though it was painful at times. But I always prefer the truth - I can deal with truth.

But I am not sure what the last part of your post means..."the cause and effect begets consequences, etc." Could you help me with this confusion because I don't want to lose you here?