What Addicts Do

Old 01-19-2006, 09:48 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Wife of an addict

Something someone once said to me:
He doesn’t really hate you. In fact meth users are essentially incapable of any emotion as strong as hate or love. Yes, they may have feelings that are similar, and it may appear that way, but really, the only emotion they have is loyalty to more of the drug. If you represent a threat to that, you may be the recipient of something similar to hate. If you had a bag of speed, you would suddenly be loved. So you see, it isn’t about you, and it isn’t about love or hate. It is about the drug. The drug changes the way the user feels and thinks.
This was when I was struggling with the perception, "Why did my husband hate me so much"
Old 02-14-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Amen I am new to forum and amen to John's What Is An Addict" it still hurts though
Old 02-14-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  

what Addicts Do really touched me I am new to site 1 week still hurt and confused
still take acdicts actions personally Do they know when they are straight things????
Old 02-14-2006, 04:56 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Thatswayworldgoesround

Distraught, hi, the addict in our life thinks of ME and MY IMMEDIATE WANTS AND NEEDS, that is all. Do not get in his way or you will be hurt. The sticky is so very true, and all I have to do to remind myself that he doesn't really even see me or our family or anyone else is to read that sticky over and over and over............it's nothing personal, and that is the insanity of it. We love them and take it personally, and honestly most of the time they never remember actions, big or small, that may have emotionally destroyed you at the time..........I have to keep telling myself, it is what it is, sounds simplistic, but it works for me (sometimes, lol). Hugs to you, Bets
Old 02-28-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Thanks for this post as a newbie I needed it soooooo much I have been telling myself when my son says I love you its because he wants something and I have told him he dosen't love hisself at this time. Not sure if I should told him but I felt he needed the truth as I saw it. I will defiently be showing this to hubby so he can maybe eventually reach acceptance about our son like I have. Right now hubby has head half in sand and half out.

Angie